pods installaion

bskinner

Reaction score
I run a 96 580 Arctic Cat and want to put pods on it and wondering if it will give anymore horsepower. Also will i need to put the Boone Docker control system in

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a 96 580 Arctic Cat and want to put pods on it and wondering if it will give anymore horsepower. Also will i need to put the Boone Docker control system in

No Boondocker bos required.

Pods won't give it any more power unless you know how to tune them ;) If this is an EFI sled, don't bother, you can't tune it. If its carbed, it will make it easier to change jets and you could gain some minor advantage over stock by tuning them properly, but you'll only gain a marginal increase. Simplicity is usually the best reason for pods, not gaining power.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok I have to put in my 2 cent..... if your running a pod does that mean your engine is sucking in "hot" air from around the engine instead of cold air from a vent out side the engine? hot air mean less power?

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Should run fine. Don't forget to check plugs. May run lean on you with more free air coming in. I have the pods on my Rev and required this. Also get the filter covers if your engine cavity fills up with snow. Mine always freeze up.

you won't get a significant HP increase but may notice better throttle response. They will work better if you have reeds and pipe/can to go with it.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok I have to put in my 2 cent..... if your running a pod does that mean your engine is sucking in "hot" air from around the engine instead of cold air from a vent out side the engine? hot air mean less power?

you are correct. I ran with pods off of the carbs and then extended the pods to catch more cold air. I didn't notice a difference but there should be one. Cold air is more dense and expands more in the chamber when heated. That is what my mechanic said anyway.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is why it is such a debatable topic. like modman said you are doing it for simplicity as most stock airboxes are a pain to deal with.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You bet - totally correct statement.

Which is why you need intake stacks to get cold air from the outside.....see pic.;););)

This was my comment on tuning. Pods require a good committment to tuning to get them to work well. Lots of guys just toss them on the back of the carb, ride around in 3 feet of powder at 20 km/hr wide open throttle generating tons of heat in the engine compartment, suck in hot air, make less power, take them off, toss in the garbage and say pods suck. If you don't have a good understanding of how they work and you don't know how to tune, then stay away from them, they'll only cause you more problems than solutions.

If you are willing to spend the time to learn and play with them, they will out perform the stock airbox but the committment might be longer than you want to make, so keep that in mind. I'm still refining my system and am going to change it again this year to try something new. If you just want to ride, pods aren't your cup of tea.

Attachments

• Air intake 03.jpg
    Air intake 03.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 105

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet - totally correct statement.

Which is why you need intake stacks to get cold air from the outside.....see pic.;););)

This was my comment on tuning. Pods require a good committment to tuning to get them to work well. Lots of guys just toss them on the back of the carb, ride around in 3 feet of powder at 20 km/hr wide open throttle generating tons of heat in the engine compartment, suck in hot air, make less power, take them off, toss in the garbage and say pods suck. If you don't have a good understanding of how they work and you don't know how to tune, then stay away from them, they'll only cause you more problems than solutions.

If you are willing to spend the time to learn and play with them, they will out perform the stock airbox but the committment might be longer than you want to make, so keep that in mind. I'm still refining my system and am going to change it again this year to try something new. If you just want to ride, pods aren't your cup of tea.

Nice and shiny modman. Beats my pvc pipe. Did you get that made or did you purchase as is?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice and shiny modman. Beats my pvc pipe. Did you get that made or did you purchase as is?

Purchase as is. It's turbo tubing for intercoolers, etc. Company called Vibrant makes it. Any import tuner shop in the city should have it in stock or be able to order it. It's light though, so no weight gain. You can find the size you are looking for here:

Vibrant Performance ::.

The 2.5" stuff fits a 44mm carb perfect, just get a silicon connector as well and cut it in half (1/2 for each carb and pipe joint). Use hose clamps to hold it all together (not shown in picture). I just trimmed the pipe a little shorter on the turn to make it fit my hood, but you can cut it as long or short as you want to fit your application.

Be aware that it ain't cheap though. 2 90's cost me about $60.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is why it is such a debatable topic. like modman said you are doing it for simplicity as most stock airboxes are a pain to deal with.
agreed, im thinking i will stick a turkey thermometer in my airbox befor i swtich to pods and do the same thing to the pods and see the temp diff had a freind do this and said the temp diff was only 10 degrees

burnoutking

Reaction score
???????????????????????????????????????????????????:eek:Does that mean at -30 I'll have 30 more horse than at 0 :d:d:d:d:d

In a sense, Yes. Obviously the engine would have to be setup for this kind of power, jetting, porting, etc. Put it this way...if you were setup to run in-30 temps and make max. HP, you would notice a huge power loss running at 0.

I think though it would actually be more of a % of the engines HP. Maybe 10-15%. Or 5-10 in the real world.

EthanWbr

Reaction score
on my xc700 im using a K&N filter 7" tall 4" base opening on top of my airbox to get more cold air

Top Bottom