Please help with my oil leak....

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was gasing up and looking over my bike tonight as I want to hit up the hylo rally this weekend....I noticed some oil on the engine block by the back drive shaft. I wiped the oil off, it wasn't leaking just wet on the engine. Not sure how long its been like this, bike only has 900KM.

See pictures, I thought maybe oil drain wasnt tight enough, it is.....also notice in the pics the engine is wet by the oil filter too on the other side, so I am kind of puzzled here.....

I did tip (not roll) my bike on its side three weekends ago, turing a corner, would that casuse a leak? oh and for the record I wasn't even going that fast, hit a chunk of wood, I was going like 10km as I was turing then tip....:confused:

Any help/ideas would be great,

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 129

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rear oil looks like the rear seal is leaking and the front I'm not to sure. Is the filter on tight ? It could be the front seal leaking too. These seals are known to leak and not last long. Lots of info about these seals on mimb. There suppose to be really easy to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does your air box have any oil in it, could be leaking out. Mine blows oil into it, drools out like that, especially if running the oil level on full and doing wheelies and on the nos. that tip may have contributed

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea, i even have a mimb account, just forgot, always S&M first, but ill try mmib as well....

The rear oil looks like the rear seal is leaking and the front I'm not to sure. Is the filter on tight ? It could be the front seal leaking too. These seals are known to leak and not last long. Lots of info about these seals on mimb. There suppose to be really easy to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope, no oil in the box. I do run it towards the high side though.....

does your air box have any oil in it, could be leaking out. Mine blows oil into it, drools out like that, especially if running the oil level on full and doing wheelies and on the nos. that tip may have contributed

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did it have a copper washer on the drain plug that wasn't put back on. Happened to my yfz 450

Well I guess that's a possibility, but I am pretty good about that stuff....pretty sure the washer is back on....

The boys on mimb figure rear seal just not sure about the front leak....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you install your oil filter do you oil the rubber seal? might have have a catch in it, all it takes is a little roughness and it will seep.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you install your oil filter do you oil the rubber seal? might have have a catch in it, all it takes is a little roughness and it will seep.

Yup, always put some new oil on the rubber seal before installing new oil filter....To be honest its almost time for an oil change, and I have just noticed this leak, so I'm kind of thinking the front is leaking from when the bike tip over on its side, if yuou look in the pictures is leaking from up high somewhere......and the back must be leaking from the seal.....

The oil leavel is fine on the bike so its a very small leak that i am guessing just started....

mudbug

Reaction score
Here's a thought degrease it and wash it down good then go for a ride and see if it show's up again, if not then you don't have a leak!!!
:cool:

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought degrease it and wash it down good then go for a ride and see if it show's up again, if not then you don't have a leak!!!
:cool:

That's what I was thinking!!

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after the weekend rally in Hylo, I have just checked on the leak and it's gone.... Like WTF....I will just keep an eye on it for now.....

Top Bottom