Please Help- 97 Supersport 488 Flooding

Ol' Skool

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My SS 488 is flooding bad after sitting for a while. So bad gas will shoot right out of the cylinders, after I remove the plugs and pull it over. I had the carbs cleaned and tuned last season. Didnt do this until after a few rides this past winter. Any ideas?

starfire72

Reaction score
When it runs does it run good or does it flood out??could be the carbs gummed up again with the fuel now or could be the fuel pump leaking and filling crankcase through the pulse line.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fuel shut off carb needle, float level, first place i'd look

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What imdoo'n said.

#34 in this exploded diagram is what shuts off the fuel to the float bowl. If it fills the engine when it's not running, this needle valve is not closing.

Mikuni_Carb.JPG

Ol' Skool

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I will give it a shot. Once I get it fired up it runs good. Little bit of a bog on the low end, but fine once you get some rpms.

steepndeeper

Reaction score
sounds as if your float needle is sticking open and not shutting off the fuel. Disassemble and clean thoroughly. Drain fuel from carbs before summer storage to prevent future problems.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the tip of the needle to make sure there is no groove as well that could let gas past the seat. It is either the needle and seat or the pump passing fuel through the impulse line but my money is on the needle and seats.

Top Bottom