Play in DD?

mtm

Reaction score
O.K. rooky Cat driver question. I'm playing with my new to me M10 and dicide to take off the belt just to see how it goes. The secondary has some monement, you can feel some play in there. Is this normal?

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
There should not be any play in the diamond drive itself but what you may be feeling is the play of your jackshaft going back and forth with the looseness of your track. If you hold your drivers so they dont move and then check your diamond drive and still get play you better take your diamond drive apart and take a look inside. I feel that everyone should take them apart every year and service them with new oil and check all of the bearings as they haver had a fair share of issues with them. There is multiple threads on this and do your research cuz its way easier to fix it in the garage.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some rotational backlash is normal in the planetary, this is likely what you are feeling. You should not get radial play, if you do, you likely have a bearing or housing issue. Like catman said, you should complete an annual inspection, at the very least replace oil and if you see indications of wear materials in your used oil, complete a cleaning and inspection.

mtm

Reaction score
Thanks guys, as I said I just bought this one and it's my first A/C. Can just rotate my secondary back and forth a bit Deffinatly going to flush and change oil. The sled has 171 miles on it so I'm sort of assuming the play is normal.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my diamond lite, I had some play between the fit of the stationary planetary gearset and the inner case. The little anti-rotation tangs were slapping back and forth working at the aluminum inner case causing a bunch of play. Had to replace the inner case. Not sure if it's the same planetary set-up in your DD, I haven't taken a newer one apart yet.

snowdingo

Reaction score
If the movement in the secondary is slightly left to right, and not up/down, or front/back, this is normal. The secondary is designed to float a little to ensure it is always in line with the primary.

mtm

Reaction score
Strickly rotational. Thanks for the replies guys. I drained, flushed and filled her back up so I should be good to go.

Top Bottom