Plasma or LED???

crowsfeet

Reaction score
What are yer opinions fellow sno an mudders on tv sets? My old Samsung plasma 50" is one hurtin unit. First it had one vertical green line, then shortly after another green one decided to join it. Now it's a freakin party of about ten lines of various colors. Not too impressed with the plasma seeing it's only about 4 yrs old. The tv still works fine and I've gotten used to ignoring the lines but I'm getting tired of my friends asking me about it when we're watching vintage slednecks videos. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
j/k, I don't know. I think they both have there benefits. Ones better for sports, ones better for glare, one doesn't burn pixels........................

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was going out to buy a new tv tomorrow I would go with a samsung LED.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are yer opinions fellow sno an mudders on tv sets? My old Samsung plasma 50" is one hurtin unit. First it had one vertical green line, then shortly after another green one decided to join it. Now it's a freakin party of about ten lines of various colors. Not too impressed with the plasma seeing it's only about 4 yrs old. The tv still works fine and I've gotten used to ignoring the lines but I'm getting tired of my friends asking me about it when we're watching vintage slednecks videos. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey...when ya headin up behind you??
we goin Sunday..

.......oh...my vote is LED...awesome pic in the bright and dark!!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was going out to buy a new tv tomorrow I would go with a samsung LED.

X2 on the Samsung led. The higher refresh rates on the newer tvs is amazing.

In the lower price range the plasmas do well against lower end led/ lcds but if you factor in weight, which makes it easier to mount on the wall and power consumption for me it's a no brainer.

Also plasmas are very susceptible to having images burn into them. I bought a plasma not too long ago for a home gym in my basement and the graffic that is displayed on the girlfriends workout videos is already burnt into the screen. :mad:

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Samsung LED. Got a series 8 and it is fricking amazing. The kids love the 3D smart TV, I am happy it turns on. Paid to have it calibrated and well worth it. True colours, no red or green tinge. Not the cheapest TV in the store, but throughly impressed. One of my better impulse buys.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a Samsung LED as well. I still have my older Samsung Plasma up in the master bedroom. A lot of these have been covered already but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

LED is great in rooms that aren't super dark, they don't show as much glare. Plasma has a slightly sharper picture, but because they require the glass front on them, they suck in rooms that get any sort of light behind them. The LED tvs are way lighter because they don't require the glass front, and are therefore easier to move around yourself, easier to mount, and gives you more mounting options. Plasmas can get quite hot, and will actually heat up a room a little when running for a long time. LEDs run cooler and are therefore using less energy. Plasma burn in is a problem still (as stated earlier). I had the Call of Duty HUD burned into my plasma for a long time. Once I stopped using that TV as my main gaming TV and it was just used for watching cable, it eventually went away but took a long time.
The refresh rates on LEDs TVs are so close to plasma that you get a pretty much undistinguishable picture between the two. LEDs are not the LCD TV of old when you were watching hockey it looks like the puck was a shooting star across the screen.
As you have found out, plasma has a definite life to it. I had heard once that it was about 16000 hrs of life in a plasma TV, which really is a lot, but they do eventually wear out. I'm sure LED wears out too, but I haven't heard about any sort of set life to them.
Hope you find yourself an awesome TV.

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good info keep it comein...my 36 " Toshibas gotta be 20+ years old...dam thing still works great but time to upgrade,,been looking last couple weeks for a 60-65in..looked at bestbuy and memory express...seems memory express has better prices than best buy..memory just had a sale end on 14th..almost bought but thought ld wait and see what kinda deals come up over xmas and boxing day...

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look at the 8000 series of the samsung line.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look at the 8000 series of the samsung line.

Great line, and you can probably find some good deals on them now with the 9000 being out now. I have the 7500 series, which is basically the 8000 without the built in camera. They are absolutely gorgeous mounted up on a wall, the bezel is so small it looks like the entire TV is picture (which helps when mounting as you maximize your picture for wall space used).

Don't forget about the mad deals you will find around black friday too!

scottp

Reaction score
I have a 6 yr old Samsung plasma and its been good so far. Just heard that plasma is going the way of the Betamax, so there might be some good deals coming. Just for fun, check out the $24,000.00 tv at the Sony store.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 5000 series 51 inch, Samsung new in 2010 what great TV anyone who comes over cant believe the picture.

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can grab the Samsung 60in 8000 for 3k..been looking at this one hard but wasn't shure..read some bad reviews but they may have delt with the plasmas..wonderin if l should wait few weeks or jump on it on sale with 1 k off

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Costco online I see they had TV priced fairly decent

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may come down to what you watch. Plasmas refresh rates are still better than led. If there are lots of sports in your viewing agenda maybe plasmas the way to go.
Before we bought i stopped in at visions to ask a few questions. They were slow so the guy set up the demo wall so I could see the difference between the refresh rates myself. Learned alot in that 20mins. We ended up with a Samsung 55"led due more to the lighting conditions and viewing angles in the family room.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hockey looks killer on my 60" LG plasma, people always ask if it's an LED and I just smile because I paid $1000 2 years ago... Most people cant tell the difference. I really like the colours. As said they can burn in, just don't fall asleep watching netflix or you'll be looking at the Netflix menu for a while... Knock on wood I've been lucky my burn ins have gone away the next day. As far as weight it's a non issue once it's mounted to the wall, make sure you use a quality stud finder and put some lag bolts centre of the stud.

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom