Pipelines, Friction & Solar Flares...

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drove down highway 22 south of Longview today and at the higher elevations the area was completely snow covered except for 3 parallel lines where you can see grass - even on north facing slopes - goes on for miles and miles.

There are 3 pipelines that run through there and solar flares have been known to heat up pipelines through electro-magnetic induction (I think). Or is it just the friction of the liquids passing through creating heat?

Any pipeline experts on here?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Millions of cubic feet of warm gas passing through a pipe that's probably 36-40"

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in Zama the big pipeline up near Amber River always has green grass on top of it year round. the buffalo love it there

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
And anything that moves creates friction and electrical current of one type or another... I suspect a combination of things... Seen this out by rocky as well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Millions of cubic feet of warm gas passing through a pipe that's probably 36-40"

Driven that road hundreds of times and have never seen it like that before though.
There were some major solar storms recently. Coincidence maybe?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Driven that road hundreds of times and have never seen it like that before though.
There were some major solar storms recently. Coincidence maybe?
you know there have been thousands of solar storms over the years, right? many of them way stronger than the one we've had over the last few days....start worrying when your phone and gps quit working

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently it is called GIC (Geo-Magnetically Induced Current). Just searched it. Causes problems with pipelines, corrosion, flow meters etc.
Couldn't see anything specifically about heat - but if you induce current into anything heat is going to occur.

A Russian pipeline blew up due to accelerated corrosion caused by a major solar storm.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only info i could find on GIC and pipelines was to do with accelerated corrosion

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
To add another line to the information, the pipeline going into Corbin will melt the snow and the elk will chew their cuds while lying on the nice green grass. I have never seen any melting on the same pipeline through the Rolling Hills. Too much snow maybe and a little higher in elevation?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the natural gas leaving the plant and running through the compressor where I operate is around 100 degrees F, the ground never freezes around these pipes, by the time the gas gets to the next compressor station it is still around 50 degrees F........no aliens involved lol

aocbiz

Reaction score
the natural gas leaving the plant and running through the compressor where I operate is around 100 degrees F, the ground never freezes around these pipes, by the time the gas gets to the next compressor station it is still around 50 degrees F........no aliens involved lol

This is the real answer!!
thanks Clode

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pipelines, Friction & Solar Flares...

Lots of pipelines all over the place are same, like north of Sundre on 22/TCPL's corridors (everywhere) etc... not buried very deep.. warm/hot fluid/gas etc...

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Pipelines, Friction & Solar Flares...

Another problem solved by S&M forum guys!

I had an experience with induced current when working on an industrial fab/weld shop in Calgary many years ago. Had to go on the roof to do something and as I got to the top of the aluminum ext ladder and grabbed the flashing I felt like I was getting zapped at certain times.

Checked the flashing all the way round and there wasn't any conduits or wiring attached to it anywhere. (had all the HVAC sheet metal in a house have 120v on it because a nail had gone through a cable and touched the ductwork - breaker didn't trip as the duct work was not grounded -anyone who touched the metal and was grounded got the zap).

Found the problem on the flashing to be the main high voltage overhead lines drooped low right there and that induced power into the flashing that ran parallel to the line. Put a meter between the flashing and the grounded ext ladder and got a reading of 80+ volts. Basically was acting like windings in a transformer.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Pipelines, Friction & Solar Flares...

Another problem solved by S&M forum guys!

I had an experience with induced current when working on an industrial fab/weld shop in Calgary many years ago. Had to go on the roof to do something and as I got to the top of the aluminum ext ladder and grabbed the flashing I felt like I was getting zapped at certain times.

Checked the flashing all the way round and there wasn't any conduits or wiring attached to it anywhere. (had all the HVAC sheet metal in a house have 120v on it because a nail had gone through a cable and touched the ductwork - breaker didn't trip as the duct work was not grounded -anyone who touched the metal and was grounded got the zap).

Found the problem on the flashing to be the main high voltage overhead lines drooped low right there and that induced power into the flashing that ran parallel to the line. Put a meter between the flashing and the grounded ext ladder and got a reading of 80+ volts. Basically was acting like windings in a transformer.
I've been zapped by my own truck parked at the Frisby lot in Revy when its raining and parked under the power lines...pretty freaky feeling.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Fluorescent bulbs will light up if you carry one under a big power line

Top Bottom