Picked up an 08 Nytro MTX

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After almost a year of debating I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Nytro. I found an 08 with 67 km's on it so pretty much brand new.

This year will NA but next summer I am hoping to boost it. I have heard the stock track isnt very good and have heard of people flipping them around. Has anyone tried that and how did they like it? Eventually I would go to a 162 track with a different skid since that seems to be the only way to keep the skis close to the ground when its turbocharged. Just trying to decide if i should change the track out right away and put the 162 on or try out the stock one first.

How long did it take before the sled was broke in properly? I read that the RPM's keep increasing as you get more miles on it. What clutch settings/springs, etc do you recommend for the mountains?

Has anyone tried the oilite bushings for the a-arms? I have heard that the stock ones are pretty flimsy. Also heard the balljoints suck and that there are an updated version from Yamaha now available.

Anyone bend up their subframe last year? Read lots about that too.

What are the "MUST HAVE" mods for this sled?

Thanks

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First congrats

The stock track sucks. We flipped one backwards and with a couple rides it was just bent over as much as it was in the first place. In my opinion if you can afford it put a better track on. Even if you put on an apex takeoff and run it backwards. They are a stiffer compound than the Nytro stock track. You can get them for a couple hundred bucks.

I have oil-lite bushing in my front a-arms. The stock one were worn out after 2500kms. Front balljoint are going to be repalce as well by Whitecourt Yamaha.

I have bought an EZ-Ryde rear suspension this week. Will update later.

I also bent my front sub-frame. Seen 4 others. Straightened it. Was out 3 inches side to side now 1/16th inch. Welded a plate where the 09's have a plate. The 09 subframe has a plate welded under where the A-arms bolt to. I would go to a dealer and look at an 09 and weld a plate in there before you bend yours.

Get your clutching right.

Good luck

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First congrats

The stock track sucks. We flipped one backwards and with a couple rides it was just bent over as much as it was in the first place. In my opinion if you can afford it put a better track on. Even if you put on an apex takeoff and run it backwards. They are a stiffer compound than the Nytro stock track. You can get them for a couple hundred bucks.

I have oil-lite bushing in my front a-arms. The stock one were worn out after 2500kms. Front balljoint are going to be repalce as well by Whitecourt Yamaha.

I have bought an EZ-Ryde rear suspension this week. Will update later.

I also bent my front sub-frame. Seen 4 others. Straightened it. Was out 3 inches side to side now 1/16th inch. Welded a plate where the 09's have a plate. The 09 subframe has a plate welded under where the A-arms bolt to. I would go to a dealer and look at an 09 and weld a plate in there before you bend yours.

Get your clutching right.

Good luck

If i only have enough money to put a turbo kit/clutch/drivers on the sled this year. Would you recommend i just wait and do the track/skid etc next year or ride like you did last year?

Gotta do it in baby steps unfortunately.

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to say I can't see your bank account. It will do just fine without anything but it will not hang with the XP's. RasberryNytro had no boost with a 162 and I was pretty impressed, he had a Camo extreme. And you could still use that track with boost. You would not have to do drivers either unless you went boost.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to say I can't see your bank account.

Just picture your operator bank account and cut it into pieces. Im just a poor poor instrument/electrical guy:rolleyes:

So what shift are you working at kaybob? How often are you going to the mountains this year?

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picture your operator bank account and cut it into pieces. Im just a poor poor instrument/electrical guy:rolleyes:

So what shift are you working at kaybob? How often are you going to the mountains this year?

Ha, nice. I actually work at the Windfall Gas Plant 15 minutes towards Fox creek and the 10 minutes into the Bush. Same company (SEMCAMS) just different plant. We are the good one:d!! I work 7 on 7 off shifts staring Wednesday and end Tuesday. Get to go home every night. Go to the mountains around 7-8 times last year usually 4 day trips.

Get my EZ-ryde from Terra Alps Racing on Saturday. Can wait to see how it performs.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran mine with a mcx whistle, stock track, stock drivers last year with no issues, and imbarrassed several 162 Tpexes
putting on 162x16 and skid this year as the track truely sucks. I didn't have to much issues with too much ski lift with the stock skid, bottoming out was a bigger complaint and i weigh 160#
I see 3 options
turbo- 6g and 20 hrs work
162 track $1500 and 5hrs
all of the above and extras 12g and weeks of work
second one is the best bang for your buck i think

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran the stock track for 2000 miles.

You can do a 162 track swap for pretty cheap. You can find an Apex take off for 200.00 and used apex rails for 200.00. For 400 dollars you can have a 162 X 16. You just need to modify you stock drop brackets, grind some rivets and turn around a few bolts inside the tunnel.

I ripped my stock track to shreads. The lugs started to break off half way up where they taper down.

I may have a Apex take off to sell for cheap that I ran for a bit. The sides of it are chewed up a little.

I added Apex rear springs to combat the harsh bottoming. Worked good.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran mine with a mcx whistle, stock track, stock drivers last year with no issues, and imbarrassed several 162 Tpexes
putting on 162x16 and skid this year as the track truely sucks. I didn't have to much issues with too much ski lift with the stock skid, bottoming out was a bigger complaint and i weigh 160#
I see 3 options
turbo- 6g and 20 hrs work
162 track $1500 and 5hrs
all of the above and extras 12g and weeks of work
second one is the best bang for your buck i think

What skid are putting on? What about tunnel extension? Ive read good things about that new artic cat power claw 162 but its brand new so not a lot of testing done yet.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, RasberryNytro put on quite a show for having a stock motor...track and tunnel helped but he's on heck of a rider.

Ya i watched him climb too and he is definitely a great rider. I can safely say that i suck and need more practice time in the mountains.:d

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, nice. I actually work at the Windfall Gas Plant 15 minutes towards Fox creek and the 10 minutes into the Bush. Same company (SEMCAMS) just different plant. We are the good one:d!! I work 7 on 7 off shifts staring Wednesday and end Tuesday. Get to go home every night. Go to the mountains around 7-8 times last year usually 4 day trips.

Get my EZ-ryde from Terra Alps Racing on Saturday. Can wait to see how it performs.

Crap i meant to type Windfall! I only worked out there for one turnaround, thats enough for me since its so damn sour.

Im working a 2 week in 2 week out shift and change on wednesdays so keep me in mind for some trips if you need someone else to go.

Whats the EZ-ryde worth? What rails are you using?

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of used apex rails for 200.00

The ez-ryde comes compete including rails and a rear 2 wheel kit. Everything comes as a package. $2500 CAN from Terra Alps. To order directly form Ez-ryde is 2365 US. It would end up around 2900 to 3000. The ezryde also saves 32 lbs on an apex. ezryde.com

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CR racing M10 5500.00 Looks amazing. Lots of Bling. TOO much even on an Ops wage.
Regular M10 plus billet 162 rails. Dont like the way the live axle works so 2900.00 plus 1100.00 for the rails to cure live axle. Does do its job well. Timber sled I ride with 3 guys who have them. Really rough on the trails and they bent them all to H3LL. Plus I an not a huge fan of Fox Floats.
Holz Nothing wrong with it but no experience with it.
ZX2 I dont know anything about it except what is on Snow**t
K-mod was also another choice. Not may people using it but who ever had one like it.

There are alot people that say that the Ez-ryde does not work, then you find out that they have never even seen one. Just what they heard.

So after 15 phone calls and 30 Private messages I decided to go th Ez-ryde route. Turns out Anyone that actually has an ez-ryde seems to really like it. The one guy running 24 psi of boost said it ratcheted the track every once in a while. The 09 version is supposed to cure the problem of ratcheting for huge boost sleds. I talk to people with stock sleds with the skid to guys with 24 psi of boost. They all really liked the suspension. 70% of sleds that went over the top at Jackson Hole last year had EZ-rydes. Watched a few videos of it and really like the way it kept putting power to the snow while absorbing the huge bumps. Rode with a guy who had one on a T-apex 310 kit and it was awsome.

Its is supposed to have a great ride on the trails, but still perform excellent in the mountains. Loses 27 lbs plus the 3 lbs per drop bracket. After all was said and done Ez-ryde was my choice. We will see if it was the right one. Kind of long explanation but that is what I came up with in the end.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Can't wait to see it run. Hey, when are you planning your first trip?

CR racing M10 5500.00 Looks amazing. Lots of Bling. TOO much even on an Ops wage.
Regular M10 plus billet 162 rails. Dont like the way the live axle works so 2900.00 plus 1100.00 for the rails to cure live axle. Does do its job well. Timber sled I ride with 3 guys who have them. Really rough on the trails and they bent them all to H3LL. Plus I an not a huge fan of Fox Floats.
Holz Nothing wrong with it but no experience with it.
ZX2 I dont know anything about it except what is on Snow**t
K-mod was also another choice. Not may people using it but who ever had one like it.

There are alot people that say that the Ez-ryde does not work, then you find out that they have never even seen one. Just what they heard.

So after 15 phone calls and 30 Private messages I decided to go th Ez-ryde route. Turns out Anyone that actually has an ez-ryde seems to really like it. The one guy running 24 psi of boost said it ratcheted the track every once in a while. The 09 version is supposed to cure the problem of ratcheting for huge boost sleds. I talk to people with stock sleds with the skid to guys with 24 psi of boost. They all really liked the suspension. 70% of sleds that went over the top at Jackson Hole last year had EZ-rydes. Watched a few videos of it and really like the way it kept putting power to the snow while absorbing the huge bumps. Rode with a guy who had one on a T-apex 310 kit and it was awsome.

Its is supposed to have a great ride on the trails, but still perform excellent in the mountains. Loses 27 lbs plus the 3 lbs per drop bracket. After all was said and done Ez-ryde was my choice. We will see if it was the right one. Kind of long explanation but that is what I came up with in the end.

Top Bottom