PiAA head lights anyone use emm?

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey i ordered some piaa head lights for my truck to replace to halogen ones its got now, was was jus woundering how much brighter are the piaa ones compared to your stock halogen light il bee putting em in my 2006 f-150

think there worth $136 ?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have silverstar's in my '03 chevy and now have piaa's and i actually think that the silverstars were alot better than the piaa's..

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey your from mcbride ehh you know a guy that drives a big old rusty green 4x4 chevy truck ?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey your from mcbride ehh you know a guy that drives a big old rusty green 4x4 chevy truck ?

Not off of the top of my head.. We have only lived here and been running the sled shop SPINDRIFT POWERSPORTS since beginning of october, as this is when we bought it..

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have had PIAA lights for years. lot brighter! expensive! and not much life (I get a year on the truck and car) I do love them but I'm now going HID. brighter with less power consumption, life is 10 times longer, and price is great for what you get (about $200) I do love PIAA but I dont like the $85 a year to replace them. yes PIAA has replaced burnt out bulbs but they should last longer than a year!

9hundo

I've had many sets of PIAAs...the driving and fog lights are the best on the market. The replacement bulbs, while great when they work, have never lasted very long. I put a cheap set of aftermarket bulbs (I think they were $12.99/set) in my headlights and factory driving lights (Dodge 1 ton)and have run them for 4 years with no issues...the PIAA Super Whites lasted less than a year:( Also ran a pair of Super Plasma bulbs in my Toyota and after 4 warranties, PIAA said that was it.

I used to visit the PIAA headquarters in Beaverton, OR quite often because I was in the aftermarket parts field and the reason they gave for the failures is plastic lenses. If you notice, all PIAA's driving and fog light kits have thick glass lenses and and most have metal housings...they dissapate the heat extremely well. Most automakers are using plastic housings and lenses so the heat cannot get out efficiently. Since PIAA boosts the output as much as possible and legal, the additional heat generated is what causes the bulbs to fail prematurely:beer::beer::beer:

markiedog

Reaction score
I put Xenon HID's in my 01 dodge they are way brighter then Piaa's Only $200 on the net they come in high and low beam as well now

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
running silverstar ultra in my 03 gmc. they are way brighter then the 6 year old ones that were in it then i put a relay in so when its on high beem the lows stay on with them

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use GE Nighthawks. Best light you can buy for the money $25/bulb or so, at crappy tire/partsource.

Once you sort through the ton of marketing stuff you will find this out, hopefully I can save some others the time:

Lights like PIAA or any other light that has coloring in the glass cut out some (ie. a fair bit) of the light that helps you see. While it makes the light look whiter by filtering out some of the yellow light and tricks us into thinking their is more light, in truth any filter in the glass cuts down on the amount of available light getting to the road. Clear bulbs like the nighthawks give more light per watt.

Even thought you may think you are getting more light with bulbs filtered towards the blue end of the spectrum, in reality you can see yellow light better than blue light anyway (humans have evolved to see yellow better because of the slightly yellow sun), and with no coloring in the glass, ALL the light possible is getting on the road. If you really do a side by side, you will find clear bulbs will help you see further. I did a little reading on this and my personal experience supports it. Contrast is better with yellow light as well, blue light tends to make things a little more flat. Think about it...many people use yellow filters in their visors/goggles to help them see contrast better on white snow right? Contrast is very important when the stupid deer runs out in front of you. :eek: :eek:

That being said, the nighthawks are hardly yellow looking, they look much whiter than OEM, but not white/blue like the other brands.

The second problem with most expensive after market bulbs is that they are running at a higher wattage. I think all piaa bulbs are 100W. While this does give you some more light and maybe even more light on the road then other 55W bulbs in spite of the colored filter, the problem is they may overheat your OEM wiring and or your head lamp assembly (read as likely). Or, you may get a voltage drop, resulting in a cooler filament and less white light anyway with a higher wattage bulb. I don't know if you have checked out OEM wiring these days but they are just barely thick enough to handle the OEM 55W lights, never mind higher wattage lights. And trying to upgrade OEM wiring on new trucks is like trying to do hard math, with all the circuitry in place to detect bulb failures and daytime running lights. Life is too short.

My personal opinion is that silverstar are significant improvement over OEM and that GE nighthawks are a significant improvement over silverstar, having run both in several vehicles, the GE nighthawks win hands down. I also find that GE Nighthawks are about as bright as other people want to tolerate as well, having upgraded my OEM fog lamps to GE nighthawk bulbs the irritation of other drivers is markedly up. I find many after market HID lights to be downright rude and unsafe, blinding on coming traffic (ie. me).

Keep in mind one of our limitations (really going on a rant here) with north american automobile light is that DOT in the US and Industry Canada require ALL automotive lighting to have fluting in the lens to scatter about 40% of the light all over the place (ie. not on the road) so that all the road signs can be lit up. Not to mention sending light were you don't want it with driving lights and fog lights scattering light all around, but when you modify OEM lighting with stupid bright HID lights, you are sending a lot of "way to bright light" into other drivers eyes even on low beam. :rant::rant: OEM HID takes this into account and are safe but after market upgrades are not.

That being said, I do run 100W bulbs in my driving lights, but then my driving lights have a metal reflector, glass lens and can take the heat, and I have heavy wiring on them and a dedicated relay/power source. I just put lowly $7 100W H3 bulbs in them and yes they are very bright and very irritating to others even way far out if I forget to dim them. But then so are the stupidly aimed OEM fog lights on most trucks now, mine included. :cool:

What does that guy on TV say? "Why spend more, Save-your-money..."

Congrats to all that read this far. You deserve a cookie or a :beer: :)

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '03 chevy 3/4 tone truck.. I have run the silverstars, Nighthawks(breifly) and Pias's.. From my personnal opinion i got rid of the nighthawks shortly after i put them in as they were barely better than stock.. But i can see how they'd be better than stock.. After trying all three kinds as far as i'm concerned there is no comparison to the silverstars they are hands down the best, and the new silverstar ultra's are even better yet.. I bought the nighthawks because a salesman told me they were so awesome and i had 2 silverstars that had burnt out, he said that i could return them if i didn't like them so i did that as i have a painless wiring kit in mine so that when i turn my high beams on that all four lights come on and i jus tcouldn't see nearly aswell with them as i could with my 2year old silverstars. Just my two cents.

piaalights.com

Reaction score
Anyone interested in PIAA can contact me for the best pricing. We are one of the oldest distributors in North American and based in Vancouver. My email is john@piaalights.com or call me toll free at 800 665-5031.

piaalights.com

Reaction score
Use GE Nighthawks. Best light you can buy for the money $25/bulb or so, at crappy tire/partsource.

Once you sort through the ton of marketing stuff you will find this out, hopefully I can save some others the time:

Lights like PIAA or any other light that has coloring in the glass cut out some (ie. a fair bit) of the light that helps you see. While it makes the light look whiter by filtering out some of the yellow light and tricks us into thinking their is more light, in truth any filter in the glass cuts down on the amount of available light getting to the road. Clear bulbs like the nighthawks give more light per watt.

Even thought you may think you are getting more light with bulbs filtered towards the blue end of the spectrum, in reality you can see yellow light better than blue light anyway (humans have evolved to see yellow better because of the slightly yellow sun), and with no coloring in the glass, ALL the light possible is getting on the road. If you really do a side by side, you will find clear bulbs will help you see further. I did a little reading on this and my personal experience supports it. Contrast is better with yellow light as well, blue light tends to make things a little more flat. Think about it...many people use yellow filters in their visors/goggles to help them see contrast better on white snow right? Contrast is very important when the stupid deer runs out in front of you. :eek: :eek:

That being said, the nighthawks are hardly yellow looking, they look much whiter than OEM, but not white/blue like the other brands.

The second problem with most expensive after market bulbs is that they are running at a higher wattage. I think all piaa bulbs are 100W. While this does give you some more light and maybe even more light on the road then other 55W bulbs in spite of the colored filter, the problem is they may overheat your OEM wiring and or your head lamp assembly (read as likely). Or, you may get a voltage drop, resulting in a cooler filament and less white light anyway with a higher wattage bulb. I don't know if you have checked out OEM wiring these days but they are just barely thick enough to handle the OEM 55W lights, never mind higher wattage lights. And trying to upgrade OEM wiring on new trucks is like trying to do hard math, with all the circuitry in place to detect bulb failures and daytime running lights. Life is too short.

My personal opinion is that silverstar are significant improvement over OEM and that GE nighthawks are a significant improvement over silverstar, having run both in several vehicles, the GE nighthawks win hands down. I also find that GE Nighthawks are about as bright as other people want to tolerate as well, having upgraded my OEM fog lamps to GE nighthawk bulbs the irritation of other drivers is markedly up. I find many after market HID lights to be downright rude and unsafe, blinding on coming traffic (ie. me).

Keep in mind one of our limitations (really going on a rant here) with north american automobile light is that DOT in the US and Industry Canada require ALL automotive lighting to have fluting in the lens to scatter about 40% of the light all over the place (ie. not on the road) so that all the road signs can be lit up. Not to mention sending light were you don't want it with driving lights and fog lights scattering light all around, but when you modify OEM lighting with stupid bright HID lights, you are sending a lot of "way to bright light" into other drivers eyes even on low beam. :rant::rant: OEM HID takes this into account and are safe but after market upgrades are not.

That being said, I do run 100W bulbs in my driving lights, but then my driving lights have a metal reflector, glass lens and can take the heat, and I have heavy wiring on them and a dedicated relay/power source. I just put lowly $7 100W H3 bulbs in them and yes they are very bright and very irritating to others even way far out if I forget to dim them. But then so are the stupidly aimed OEM fog lights on most trucks now, mine included. :cool:

What does that guy on TV say? "Why spend more, Save-your-money..."

Congrats to all that read this far. You deserve a cookie or a :beer: :)

PIAA bulbs are not all 100W. We inventory PIAA H3 bulbs from 35W all the way to 130W.

PIAA's XTRA technology uses a proprietary gas mixture to increase the output of the bulb while still using stock wattages. This ensures your wiring does not burn out while still achieving a brighter bulb.

The colour of the Super White, Xtreme White, Super Plasma and Ion Crystal bulbs varies from whiter than stock to yellow. The only time yellow has been proven to be better than white is in the snow.

PIAA now offers HID in their Cross Country Lamp designed for quads, bikes, snowmobiles etc. Very small and very bright.

All these are shown on our website at PIAAlights

I am more than happy to talk to people directly and can be reached at 800 665-5031 Ask for John

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i got the piaas installed the other day way brighter then the bulbs that wear in the truck so far im impressed whent to crappy tire to get some silver stars but they wear all sold out of the good ones for my truck so ill have to try the piaas first.. so far so good though.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
anyone interested in piaa can contact me for the best pricing. We are one of the oldest distributors in north american and based in vancouver. My email is john@piaalights.com or call me toll free at 800 665-5031.

thanks for offering your services like that.... I'm sure some of these peeps will have questions for you.....................;) NOW, ARE THERE ANY BANKERS ON HERE THAT NEED CASH "CLEANED", OR INTEREST FREE LOANS;);););) - LOL J/K

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
running silverstar ultra in my 03 gmc. they are way brighter then the 6 year old ones that were in it then i put a relay in so when its on high beem the lows stay on with them

Who put in this relay for you or is it a kit? I am interested in one for my n04 Silverado

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who put in this relay for you or is it a kit? I am interested in one for my n04 Silverado

i also have this relay kit installed on my '03 chevy and it works awesome.. It is a kit that is available by a company called painless wiring.. It is simple to install and any shop could do it pretty much.. Well worth the 40.00 i think that it was worth..

Top Bottom