Performance issues

Chemical

Reaction score
Need help.

Added a dynoport pipe and y-pipe, v-force reed kit, and a Mots 13:1 comp heads and domes. Took it too Renshaw this past weekend and it performed the same as a stock 800R. Am I missing something? Maybe jetting?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well your gains there might only be 10hp MAX so it will not blow you out of the water.

however...did you notice anything differant about the motor...did it over rev on existing clickers? maybe you need more flyweight in the clutch to load the motor and heat the pipe.

jetting would be the next thing. what are the reccomendations for the cylinder head? for the dynoport system i beleive the jetting stays the same but some head designs are more efficient and allow you to drop a few jet sizes. SOME. did you look at your plugs? colors? photos?

Chemical

Reaction score
My clickers were on the same setting as the stock 800R. I was told by Tom at Mots that there is no jetting required. I understand that I will not blow the stock 800R's out of the water, by it was to my understanding that I should be at least 6-8 sled lengths ahead on a good pull. Have not checked the plugs yet.

rustyrocket

Reaction score
My clickers were on the same setting as the stock 800R. I was told by Tom at Mots that there is no jetting required. I understand that I will not blow the stock 800R's out of the water, by it was to my understanding that I should be at least 6-8 sled lengths ahead on a good pull. Have not checked the plugs yet.

Sounds like you wasted your money ,you should of bought a dynamo Joe clutch kit for cheaper and as your kicking your buddys azz , you can pop the hood and tell him its stock .

Last edited by a moderator:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Couple of questions.............

What fuel are you running with the 13:1 head .......... A fuel with not enough octane rating for 13:1 heads will cause a noticeable loss in performance.
Have you reclutched, or adjusted the clutches like most have previously mentioned? Clutching is key...... Like maxwell said, flyweights? Call dynamo joe and maybe get a fresh calibration.....
You need to check the spark plugs!!! Key, key, key........ Sounds like your sled might be running "fat" and you won't be near as efficient as a well tuned sled.....on a hard short burst, full throttle, hit the kill switch and come to a stop, and immediately pull the spark plugs and check the color, and if you can see down the plug holes, check the piston wash patterns.......

Chemical

Reaction score
I was told to run pumped 91 in the mountains, but here at 2000 ft, run a couple gallons of C-110. Im on the 15.3 gram weights in the clutch kit and am on clicket 4-5 at 6000 ft and at 7900-8100 rpms. As I understand, unless im over reving on clicker 1, there is no need to change the weights.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year sled? What ramps and primary spring?

My gut feeling: clutches don't lie. If your RPM never changed since you last ran it....your HP never changed. 91 octane should be fine for 13:1 at elevation. Adding race gas at high elevation will COST you HP.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are pulling rated rpms on clicker 1 you are deffinetly have increased HP the way i see it anyways.....in the mountains any xp i have ever dealt with needs to be at 3 or 4 stock which would be around 800rpms differant.

but either way. if you ran clicker 1 at rated rpm last season then did the mods and no change this season check jetting. a 10hp+- increase would easily see a 500rpm over rev in my experience over stock..

Chemical

Reaction score
The sled is an 09 X. Im using the HE-1 DJ clutch kit. QR-11 helix and I cant remember what the primary spring was. Im running the same revs and clickers at the same elevation as I was last year before the upgrades.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im running the same revs and clickers at the same elevation as I was last year before the upgrades.

....which means: same HP.

09 XP has 441 ramps....no need to change these...Joey likes 'em too. Clutching is not your issue, Getting the engine to make the extra HP you paid for is. What do your plugs look like after a pull? Do you have any secondary airbox mods? if not, might be time to get more air to the beast. Lots of guys put 2 - 2inch Flowrites (the rubber ones, NOT the plastic ones) in the rear of the lower airbox behind the carbs. You've got a pipe and y-pipe that should flow a bit more and a more efficient head design....but no more HP...might need more air.

Chemical

Reaction score
....which means: same HP.

09 XP has 441 ramps....no need to change these...Joey likes 'em too. Clutching is not your issue, Getting the engine to make the extra HP you paid for is. What do your plugs look like after a pull? Do you have any secondary airbox mods? if not, might be time to get more air to the beast. Lots of guys put 2 - 2inch Flowrites (the rubber ones, NOT the plastic ones) in the rear of the lower airbox behind the carbs. You've got a pipe and y-pipe that should flow a bit more and a more efficient head design....but no more HP...might need more air.

I agree with you about the clutching. So you dont see an issue with jetting? I never thought about looking at the plugs, but when I have a chance, I'll check them out after a good pull. I have absolutely no air box mods done, but I'll look into it.

Thanks

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did your sled run against other stockers before your mods?
If you were a little behind last year, the aftermarket head may have only given you enough extra just to run with a well tuned stocker!
I've seen 3 out of the box one was a dog, one was OK and one was a rocket, all sleds were setup by same company.

I put 400km on a brand new primary, took it apart to install a DJ kit. 2 rollers were good and 1 had no bushing in it, both sliding bushings were out of spec. and so much belt dust that the arms would no longer move freely.

I would invest the hour and pull the primary apart and give it a good once over.

Check your belt width aswell, specs. on DJ's website.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions I'm kind of in the same boat. Would the snow make a difference? Last year it was cold snow was sugar. Was it warm a Renshaw? Would heavy wet snow pull down the motor? I ran my sled at Allen creek it was warm snow was wet, sled felt low on power I just thought its pulling heavier snow? Am I on crack?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions I'm kind of in the same boat. Would the snow make a difference? Last year it was cold snow was sugar. Was it warm a Renshaw? Would heavy wet snow pull down the motor? I ran my sled at Allen creek it was warm snow was wet, sled felt low on power I just thought its pulling heavier snow? Am I on crack?
Snow conditions play a huge factor with clutching....easily 1 to 2 clicker positions from early season fluff to late season cement.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So correct me if im wrong, but you did a 13 to 1 head a dynoport y pipe and pipe, but no intake upgrades? Just been my experience that if your going to add compression and allow the engine to flow efficiently on the exhaust side, you need to do the same on the intake side. I see you installed v force reeds, did you make any changes to the air box what so ever? Where are your rave screws set at??

Last edited:
Top Bottom