people oblivious to avy hazards please educate yourself!

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why? Do you stop and tell every idiot driver that you see what they are doing wrong? unlikely. Sometimes people need to start learning for themselves, there is a world of material out there about avy education (google comes to mind....), there are even signs along the highways FFS. This isn't a 3rd world country, so do some homework. If these people can't figure it out, well... personally I don't feel like its the responsibility of everyone else in the mountains to babysit them. We've had these discussions on here before, if people are not educated about the backcountry then they shouldn't be there, plain and simple... and they shouldn't be relying on others to come and tell them what is right and wrong. They've already made the first mistake then if they've left the truck without this knowledge. Something happens though and we always hear that the person had "significant backcountry experience"... after living my life in the mountains, generally I disagree.

Sorry if you feel this is a cavalier attitude by some folks but some of us have already been there as Maxwell posted. I've tried also (and was super polite about it) and got a big middle finger as I walked away from the belligerent attitude and reception, and not only were the guys we approached climbing a big sketchy hill, the hill they were on WAS OUT OF BOUNDS! In addition, the same hill has slide multiple times and also almost killed a guy in 1997. So please tell me why someone would risk their personal safety to approach this group and get told to fawk off (or worse), then have to watch them regardless and if the hill comes down, have to again risk their safety to potentially rescue someone who failed to heed their warning in the first place?

Those are all great points, but myself personally wouldn't be able to sleep well if I didn't say anything. If they did try and kick my a## well good for them to try.lol

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
until they say they are going to kick your ass and start chasing you around the mountain. happened to me. just sayin LOLOL. i just let natural selection take place now. terrible attitude i know....

Avalanche prediction seems to be a very personal thing - one group will go ride a slope that another group think is risky.
Obvious risk I think most everyone can agree on - anything else is personal.
As long as you and your group are in agreement and have your equipment then I say go do it.
I think you do have a responsibility to tell others if they are in a potential danger spot below where you are riding though - something you are doing that may affect them...

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really?? The best thing you can do is leave? you must be Joking? Let's think about this, so there is an avy and someone dies how would you feel if you didn't say anything and just went "somewhere else"? What's the big deal you go over tell them your thoughts and if they tell you to get bent atleast you can sleep better at night that you tried. IMO.
Ya I would leave call me a a$$. If I seen them in the parking lot and had some time I might go over and say wtf. But if I go over there just as 2 of them hit the top and it all comes down sure I got the skill and training to get there sorry asses out if there even wearing transeivers. But if I'm in it im a dead guy they are not getting me out! Its no different then you know there's a group of drunk crack heads in a car driving down the road are you going to walk out on the hyw and stop them and say hey don't do that. The big deal is if I go over there and die how would they feel?? Tell ya right now there not going to feel the same as my wife and family.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I would leave call me a a$$. If I seen them in the parking lot and had some time I might go over and say wtf. But if I go over there just as 2 of them hit the top and it all comes down sure I got the skill and training to get there sorry asses out if there even wearing transeivers. But if I'm in it im a dead guy they are not getting me out! Its no different then you know there's a group of drunk crack heads in a car driving down the road are you going to walk out on the hyw and stop them and say hey don't do that. The big deal is if I go over there and die how would they feel?? Tell ya right now there not going to feel the same as my wife and family.

I should clarify, go over IF SAFE TO DO SO. Definetly don't put yourself at risk to tell these jokers that Darwin is calling there name.

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I put myself in risky situations plenty of times. My crew is in a safe spot watching close, ready to help if something went wrong. The 10 guys sitting at the bottom of the hill pointed straight at it, waiting their turn is what really got to me. by all means, if your gut says the hill is ok, have fun. Just be smart about it.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why? Do you stop and tell every idiot driver that you see what they are doing wrong? unlikely. Sometimes people need to start learning for themselves, there is a world of material out there about avy education (google comes to mind....), there are even signs along the highways FFS. This isn't a 3rd world country, so do some homework. If these people can't figure it out, well... personally I don't feel like its the responsibility of everyone else in the mountains to babysit them. We've had these discussions on here before, if people are not educated about the backcountry then they shouldn't be there, plain and simple... and they shouldn't be relying on others to come and tell them what is right and wrong. They've already made the first mistake then if they've left the truck without this knowledge. Something happens though and we always hear that the person had "significant backcountry experience"... after living my life in the mountains, generally I disagree.

Sorry if you feel this is a cavalier attitude by some folks but some of us have already been there as Maxwell posted. I've tried also (and was super polite about it) and got a big middle finger as I walked away from the belligerent attitude and reception, and not only were the guys we approached climbing a big sketchy hill, the hill they were on WAS OUT OF BOUNDS! In addition, the same hill has slide multiple times and also almost killed a guy in 1997. So please tell me why someone would risk their personal safety to approach this group and get told to fawk off (or worse), then have to watch them regardless and if the hill comes down, have to again risk their safety to potentially rescue someone who failed to heed their warning in the first place?

I understand what your saying here, but I guess I take a somewhat different stance. Unfortunately to the general public every sledder in the backcountry is lumped into the same pile! Every time there is a Avy involvement that hits the news it's all of us painted with the uneducated brush so I think it's up to all of us to do our part and police our own community!
im not advocating anyone putting themselves at risk or pushing it to the point of getting a parking lot pounding, but sometimes it only takes a simple gesture or a lighthearted word of caution to make someone stop and think about what their doing!
other than that I feel it's up to each of us that does have some "awareness" to continue to get as much training and education as possible so we are able to respond positively in the event there is an incident!!
Im at least encouraged by the attitude shift of many on here that irresponsible actions in the backcountry isn't acceptable!
hopefully someday a persons experience and training will be more admired on here than what kind of Turbo they ride!

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
People be safe out there - don't do anything that I think is risky...or I'll post something to let you know what a rookie you are.

No that's not what i said. Don't try and make me look and mom looking after her kids. I said don't park your whole group at the bottom of the hill and watch your buddy go up while you wait your turn. It doesn't matter if its your first time out or you have spent 1500 days on the mountain. I'm all about being risky and pushing the limits trust me. But that's not a good idea.

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Destroyer i can tell you a story allso but in the end someone died ! My brother and law and i where in Vale mount Clemina just south east of the cabin a couple of years ago , We stopped to take a little brake and watched these guys high marking in a big bowel . We knew there was ave danger. I asked my brother inlaw (over 25 yrs.in mountian sledding) "Are we just old Fuks and just chicken shats? He said "No Man " We where about 500 yds away.We selded around and headed back to stageing .We loaded up or sleds and had a pop and noticed a guy sitting on a sled all by him self. " Hey come over and have a pop" we asked him. to make a long story short , he was vidding the same guys high marking what we where watching !! and showed us his vid of the guy getting killed in the avy about 15 min. after we left. I almost puked! I think there will allways be those certian people that will do something wrong just to temp fate and it wont matter what you say to them.Hopefully some will listen.

BAC'S

Reaction score
Its a tough decision to decide if you are going to say something to these guys. As not everyone is as receptive to suggestion so you could needlessly be putting yourself in danger. on the flip side as others have mentioned say something could safe a life.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No that's not what i said. Don't try and make me look and mom looking after her kids. I said don't park your whole group at the bottom of the hill and watch your buddy go up while you wait your turn. It doesn't matter if its your first time out or you have spent 1500 days on the mountain. I'm all about being risky and pushing the limits trust me. But that's not a good idea.

My reply was tongue-in-cheek.
Just sayin' that there is a lot of BS'n going on here sometimes... I guess that is to be expected as back country sledding is an adrenaline (and usually testorone) fuelled sport.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My rant too.
My thoughts are the new riders get too many ideas from sled videos, at least that was the case with my son and his friend when they went out on their first few trips.
Blasting up chutes, jumping cliffs, riding in very dangerous terrain and everyone else filming it cuz they want to post it on the Utube.
Recognizing that, it was my responsibility to ensure the star dazzled newbies remember the lessons from AST and listen to the experienced riders when it comes to riding areas and where to stop and watch and where not to stop and watch.
Some of the Utube avalanche/sled videos I have watched, looked to an even split on being caused by someone in their own group or from some else's group. So if everyone looks after their groups, avalanche catastrophes could be minimal.
I would not risk myself or anyone from my group to go into the danger area to tell them its dangerous, they likely already know it. If they do not know, that is their problem and hopefully they do not learn a terrible lesson. There are lots of places that teach AST and it not expensive.
Same with getting gear (avy pack, radios, probe, beacon and shovel), I know guys that still do not have Avy packs, I do not invite them to ride.
Its a choice I make, just like on the hill to make sure me and my group lives to ride another day.

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
They should offer a crash coarse at the bottom of the hill a couple times a week even. I feel AST1 is a must have for anyone in the backcountry, but just a simple dummy one hour lesson could be very helpful to some. An AST1 is a bit of a commitment taking a couple days, i think that's what strays some people away that only get to ride 1 or 2 trips a season that lead super busy lives. I know they should make the time, but in reality lots won't. A 1 or 2 hour crash coarse would be helpful and maybe push some people to realize how important the ast 1 is. As well as could save someone from a disaster.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My rant too.
My thoughts are the new riders get too many ideas from sled videos, at least that was the case with my son and his friend when they went out on their first few trips.

Same with getting gear (avy pack, radios, probe, beacon and shovel), I know guys that still do not have Avy packs, I do not invite them to ride.
Its a choice I make, just like on the hill to make sure me and my group lives to ride another day.

AVY Packs as mandatory with the group...the other stuff yeah but...AVY pack just makes your crew think they are more invincible...no?

Top Bottom