Pembina Drift Busters - atv's allowed?

Glimmerman911

Reaction score
Hi there, just got an ATV and looking for places to go.

Found the Pembina Drift Busters snowmobile club, looks like they have groomed trails.

Are ATVs allowed on these trails? Is it any good for quading?

Do I need to buy trail passes or join the club or anything?

I could not find any info on their website.

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about that club, but a word of the wise, a lot of snowmobile trails are snowmobile only trails. There are quite a few guys here from the Edmonton area that know where trails are though. :beerchug:

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
most sledheads dont like quads on thier trails due to people ripping them up. this can easily be remidied by taking it easy and not doing donuts in the middle of thier trail. i am sure if you are respectful and dont damage anything you could go on there. sled trails are not so much fun just so you know. really flat and long. great for sledding but not so fun a a utility quad.

Glimmerman911

Reaction score
That is why I want to find out before going out there.

I did see some pics on their website with atv there, but I want to be sure, dont want to head there and not be able to go.

Glimmerman911

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess they would be a bit more boring, but being groomed, would be easier for my 2x4 I think.

Im a newbie, I'm just learnin.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ATVs are not approved for sled trails.The insurance issue is the main reason but trail damage and safety are also issues. Try going out to the Vinca bridge area by Redwater that is a approved ATV area. Make sure you have plates and insurance or it could be expensive. The Alberta Off highway Association has info on their site. Go to Snow and Mud links and check it out. Enjoy and Quad safe

Glimmerman911

Reaction score
Any ATV approved areas closer to Westlock?

I live in Edmonton but my quad is stored 15 minutes north-east of Westlock near Tawatinaw.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
there is lots of riding areas around twatinaw. at least within short driving distance. another site to check for quad specific riding is the outlaws. here's a link. . they have a google map with known riding areas listed in the ride section. heres a link to the map itself if you dont want to go to another site. but there is a good bunch of guys there with lots of knowledge. Google Maps

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I personaly steer very clear of groomed snowmobile trails when I'm riding my quad. In this warmer weather a quad destroys the trails for sleds. Sledders have a short enough season as it is please stay off their groomed trails. It is not illegal to use groomed trails on a quad as its mostly crown land just an unspoken rule to live by. If you can come make it out anywhere near Whitecourt there is hundreds of km's of quad trails that are normally used all winter and riding them is a blast with studded tires.

Glimmerman911

Reaction score
I will check out the Outlaw's website, thank you very much for the link.

I dont want to chew up their track, if that is the unspoken rule then I will find elsewhere.

Anywhere near Tawatinaw would rock, maybe the Outlaw ATV club has some more info.

Anybody know of some ATV trails around Tawatinaw?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a ASA approved trail system Quads are not a;llowed on the trails during witer snowmobile use times. In the summer on the crown land section quads end up using the trail but the trail has private land and a grazing area which limits use to snowmobiles only in the winter. No summer use in the grazzing area. It seems you just want to ride the long Island trails. You have options follow the links given you already and become a responsilble quad user Thanks

Glimmerman911

Reaction score
Ok, so no atv's there, good to know.

That should be put onto their website I think.

The reason I was interested in riding there is that the trails are close, and groomed so for a 2x4 it would have been perfect.

That and even with the links and info I have received, I still have not found any ATV trails anywhere near Westlock, or Tawatinaw yet. I'm sure there has to be some, just not sure how to find them.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, so no atv's there, good to know.

That should be put onto their website I think.

The reason I was interested in riding there is that the trails are close, and groomed so for a 2x4 it would have been perfect.

That and even with the links and info I have received, I still have not found any ATV trails anywhere near Westlock, or Tawatinaw yet. I'm sure there has to be some, just not sure how to find them.

check out outlaw atv site, i'm sure theres info over there, otherwise, take a drive out and look around, thats the best way to find a trail.

Glimmerman911

Reaction score
I have posted some messages on their site, no info yet. And searches for Tawatinaw come up blank.

They have some very detailed maps of Alberta trail systems, but nothing around Tawatinaw is marked on them.

Not easy for me to drive around because I live in Edmonton, but my ATV is stored near Tawatinaw. I will be going with other people too, so need a plan before getting there, because if we dont find something they will be upset!

I will keep searching, if anyone knows of atv trails in the Westlock area or withing 1/2 hour please post.

Top Bottom