Peace river WCHA mighty peace hillclimb

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not much info but there's hillclimbs in Peace River this weekend! WCHA riders, fundraising for the ski hill.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Misery Mountain ski hill will be buzzing this weekend at the first Mighty Peace Hill Climb.

“It’s the first one in Alberta, (and is) sanctioned by the Western Canadian Hillcross Association (WCHA),” said Brett Smyl, who got the event off the ground, calling it “two sporting worlds coming together”.
“We’re attracting people from western Canada, the northern United States, Yukon, the Territories.”
March 23 is registration day; there’ll be a social event, a “meet and greet with the riders”, Smyl said. On Mar. 24 and 25, riders meet at 8 a.m. and racing begins at 8:30.
Smyl noted that during the noon hour lunch breaks, “children will race on their own snowmobiles”.
The WCHA is a not-for-profit organization founded in 2014 that hosts events in B.C. and Alberta. WCHA directors are involved in a variety of areas of the snowmobiling industry including the B.C. Snowmobile Federation, local snowmobile clubs, the B.C. Provincial Snow Show, former racers and event coordinators.
“They’re the western Canadian circuit of races – and we’re one of the races: Vernon, Kamloops, Fort St. James (event finished Mar. 18) and Peace River,” Smyl said.
Smyl owns Mighty Peace GM and Mighty Peace Power Sports and RV and said the latter definitely ties in with an event of this kind.
“It gives me a reason to be part of it,” he said. “I’m an amateur snowmobiler myself; I’ve never raced though.”
It all started when Smyl “approached the ski club to see if they were interested in doing this as a fundraiser”.
“What’s really exciting is how receptive they were; to see them open up and allow the snowmobiles on the ski hill is great for that venue,” he said.
“Basically it’s a timed event. You take a snowmobile from the bottom of the hill and you go through the gates all the way to the top and the fastest time wins. It’s the same idea as slalom skiing: lots of tight corners. It’ll be a challenging race.
“We’re going to have a number of different categories. Pro; we’re attracting pro riders,” Smyl said. “Semi-pro; a lot…are local riders.; there’s a junior category (aforementioned).” Entry fees will go to the winning racers.
As of Mar. 15, there were just over 100 people registered to compete. “We should see that number double or triple next week,” Smyl said, and added, “We’re pulling people from Calgary to the Northwest Territories and B.C., just to watch!”
There’s a $5 admission fee - or $20 for the whole family - and a $10 parking fee.
“The main goal is to raise those funds to better the ski hill and to better the town,” Smyl said. “If we have good success this year, it’ll be hard not to do it each year. We’re just raising money for the ski hill.”

Top Bottom