PCV issues

boots1031

Reaction score
I decided that im giving up tuning my sled this season, so remove all my mods which were; pcv, rktek drop in kit(left head in) and slp pipe set.. changed the clutch weights back to 68grams for my elevation with my team roosters weights and put in a slp blue pink spring.. Now the sled runs like garbage, bogs on take off, no power in midrange.. my question is that since i remove the pcv does the sled need to go back to the dealer to get reprogrammed or what could be causing this?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I decided that im giving up tuning my sled this season, so remove all my mods which were; pcv, rktek drop in kit(left head in) and slp pipe set.. changed the clutch weights back to 68grams for my elevation with my team roosters weights and put in a slp blue pink spring.. Now the sled runs like garbage, bogs on take off, no power in midrange.. my question is that since i remove the pcv does the sled need to go back to the dealer to get reprogrammed or what could be causing this?

ecu is remembering the program that the PCV thru at it, needs to be flashed back to factory spec.

rmscustom

Reaction score

You CAN NOT take out the dropin pistons and leave the head on! DI pistons are shorter and the head is milled to maintain compression with them.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. As rmscustom said above. With the drop in head and factory pistons your compression will be way low. Do a compression check probably about 90 psi. Thats why its running like crap. You'll need to buy different domes for your RK head or go back to factory head.

rmscustom

Reaction score
Actually the compression will be way high because the stock pistons are taller than the DI pistons.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually the compression will be way high because the stock pistons are taller than the DI pistons.
I don't think it would even turn over. stock pistons and drop in kit head I am pretty sure the pistons will kiss the domes. i would think he left the drop in kit in as an assembly.

boots1031

Reaction score
Sorry typo.. took head off left the pistons in.. just got the sled back from the dealer.. They said the TPS was way off, and it didn't need a reflash but they did it anyways. sled is running good , only loaded it in the truck so far though.. ill be tryin it out tomorrow.

rmscustom

Reaction score
Sorry typo.. took head off left the pistons in.. just got the sled back from the dealer.. They said the TPS was way off, and it didn't need a reflash but they did it anyways. sled is running good , only loaded it in the truck so far though.. ill be tryin it out tomorrow.

Then you have really low compression... It's still gonna be really sluggish.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. Right you are if the drop in pistons were used with a factory head that is when you would have a low compression. I had it backwards.
If it is the drop in kit pistons in there still boots, you will have a low compression ratio with the factory head on. May run ok but you'll be down on power. If you just used the direct replacement RK pistons it wil be fine.

boots1031

Reaction score
Ill check it out tomorrow.. but before I left them in I checked rktek website and it says "This kit is an extension of this drop in kit WITHOUT the need for the custom head." for the piston direct replacement kit, which tells me that it should be the same pistons used for both kits... Either way ill try it out tomorrow, then check compression, but from just the 2 minutes on it; it felt better than its ever ran.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is not the same piston. RK has two different versions. There is a post on Snowest about this. But the Drop in kit uses pistons marked with a DI imprinted on them and they are a shorter dimension the the pistons he sells for the direct replacements. Can't remember off hand what is imprinted on them.

boots1031

Reaction score
Tried it out ran like ****.. so used the wifes 600 again today.. ill be tearing down and putting the polaris pistons back in for now.. and hopefully she'll run better tomorrow

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you want to sell the drop in kit let me know

Not sure why you wouldn't put rk head on and try it.?

Few guys I have talked to with the drop in kit slp pipe pcV say it rocks. Stage 3 map and crush those etec's lol maybe they were filling me full of it

Sent from my iPhone using

boots1031

Reaction score
Yeah not sure what I'm going to do yet... When I had everything in I couldn't get it to run right.. Kept getting detonation and would go into limp mode. Tried 3 different maps that I was able to get ahold of with no luck ran it with 102 octane. Ran best with slp stage 4, I was trying to order an autotune but I was told 1-2 months and just couldn't wait that long.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HOLY FALK DUDE!!!!!!! take those pistons out or get new domes you can not run it like that. Port timing compression all will be out of wack.

boots1031

Reaction score
Yeah.. Everything is back stock...like I said I couldn't get it to run right.. Kept getting detonation. Got fed up so pulled everything off(drop in kit, slp pipe and pcv).... I didn't want to miss out on the entire season usually get only 3 good months to ride, didn't want to spend all winter tuning it.

Top Bottom