Paying GST on Land?

xrsrev

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows ways around paying gst on farmland or even a large acerage.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows ways around paying gst on farmland or even a large acerage.

Only time you should pay GST is if you purchase from a developer or comercial owner..... Buy private sale...no GST

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only time you should pay GST is if you purchase from a developer or comercial owner..... Buy private sale...no GST

if the area is zoned for farmland,anything bigger than 10 acres in alberta, you have to pay the gst on said portion. regardless of private sale or not, and whatever your using it for does not matter either. it is because the land is zoned commercial. you cannot own a "zoned" acreage over 10 acres in alberta. just went through this 2 yrs ago. bs i call it bs.:realmad:

crushd

Reaction score
if the area is zoned for farmland,anything bigger than 10 acres in alberta, you have to pay the gst on said portion. regardless of private sale or not, and whatever your using it for does not matter either. it is because the land is zoned commercial. you cannot own a "zoned" acreage over 10 acres in alberta. just went through this 2 yrs ago. bs i call it bs.:realmad:

I would disagree, my acreage is over 10 acres, bought last year

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I would disagree, my acreage is over 10 acres, bought last year

yes but it is zoned farmland... what magnet is saying is it depends on the zoning, you can be over 10 acres and zoned residential.... because like you say there are acreages out there larger than 10 acres.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our experience……

When we went to buy the 40 acres were on ....we were asked if we were a farm, I said no as I didn’t fit the my definition of a farm. I would have to pay GST on all 40 acres,…..so I asked what defines a farm …

County definition was if you had farm animals (we had horses) so were a farm

Provincially we needed to produce at least $10,000 of a product annually, even if you consume that product ie growing hay to feed our horses….(well this one we don’t always make each year.

Federally, ie GST rebate, as long as we are attempting to produce a farm related product….

So were a farm……

So we only paid GST on 5 acres ….(considered the dwelling and adjacent property.

Good Luck.....just keep asking questions you'll eventually find a way.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a gst number and make up a simple company saying your boarding animals or storing trailers.... then its just a paper circle, the property owner now charges, you pay it and the government gives it back, but you will have to charge it when you or if you sell

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is what I have been told however it seems gst doesnt apply to all acerages over ten acres. My thoughts were possibly it has changed hands and the current owners arent using it as a business or farm and therefore gst isnt charged on the land. Am I right in saying this?

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the house on the property is brand new, you pay gst, if the previous owner used the land for any kind of business and collected gst and is claiming the gst on the selling, you have to pay the gst. i purchased 20 acres and had to pay gst because the previous owner ran it as a hobby farm and claimed his gst. i dont use it for much more than a big acreage, but i simply got a gst number and set up a company for storage place for trailers... even tho i dont do any business it was just a paper trail and never actually put put any money for gst

Top Bottom