Parking on Leases

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A member of our club (Whitecourt Trailblazers) that works closely with many of the oil/gas companies in the area has received a couple of calls in the last little while from company representatives expressing concern over sledders parking on active wellsites. In many cases there is no problem with someone parking a rig on a larger lease, well out of the way, up wind (50 Meters from wellhead or any buildings) if well is not sour. There is a real risk though with folks that aren't familiar with the dangers that exist.
It's all crown land but the roads out there are private, owned by the oil companies and forestry outfits. They can and will put up gates if we become a problem for them.
If you do have to park there, STAY THE HE11 OUT OF THE BUILDINGS. THEY ARE NOT A GOOD PLACE TO GO WARM UP AND HAVE A SMOKE!!!
I know it sounds like common sense but as I said, there have been complaints

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using a active well site as a staging area is not wise idea for many reasons the top one of course is safety, and myself I work for a oil company and I can think of lots more, the field ops where I work will record you licence plate # just in case anything happens to that lease, so just a word of caution, its not just sledders this goes on all year long, and summiteer is right gates will go up on problem leases.

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have staged on lease's in the past, but always parked out of the way. Sometimes they are the easiest/best place to stage. Just like out on the trails, some respect and common sense go a long ways.

Trencher

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Being an operator, I most likely would not care. Most guys shouldn't care but if you are not familiar with H2S, whmis, along with some of your other tickets chances are you are not allowed on lease ( Legally any one with out these tickets are not permitted on site with out accompaniment by someone who does). This is a huge liability risk for not only the oil/gas companies, the operators and service companies out there but yourself as well. And yes caper11 is right most operator and/or service companies take down your license plate for the simple fact that they are covering there own ass in case ch!t happens. Even on Crown land the lease is under control of the said Company whose well is one that land and the Company is therefore responsible for all actions, incidents and well being of that lease.( For all you who have had to fill out and Incident Report form... you know how much paperwork it is) That being said i know it is difficult to find staging area's In most good riding area. But a little common sense goes along way. If a lease is freshly plowed maybe not the best place perhaps a service rig is moving in there or it is definitely an active well .... One with a sign that says NO trespassing and or moving/running equipment probably not .... one with a sign that Says H2S Present or This is a sour gas location, Definitely not. I know a lot of operator's would be a lot more friendly if someone notified them that they were entering one of there leases.... or at least a note on the windshield explaining who you are. I like to ride as much as the next sled head but as careful as people are with avalanches it amazes me how people have such disregard for a toxic gas which can kill you with as little as 50 ppm ( parts per million or 0.005%) When let alone there are wells around that area as sour as 60000 ppm (6%) ( may be higher i am only a little familiar with the production in that area.) So please take care out there and don't curse the oil companies for being disagreeable, remember that they are protecting you as well as themselves and don't forget how much they have brought to out Albertan Economy as well as donations to schools, hockey rinks, charities, etc... :)

Top Bottom