Painting bumpers black

higdon3

Reaction score
I have a 2012 gmc 2500 duramax with the chrome piece on the front and rear bumper. Has anyone painted or had them painted ? I would like to go all black. Just wondering what the best way to do this would be ? Any info is appreciated

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy used spray tint and it looked awesome it makes a black chrome look ... U can get it at Canadian tire ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

higdon3

Reaction score
Ya the tint is a good idea but I'm going for the color matched look. As for the line x also a good idea but I did that on my 1987 bogger and it looks good til it gets dirty then it's almost impossible to make look clean again cause of all the rough spots. Thanks tho

bspot

Reaction score
Remove all the plastic pieces and have them powder coated. We have done this a few times and works great. Impact coatings in edmonton does good work.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go trade them at the re chrome shop in Edm. for a painted bumper, spray bombs wont hold up chrome bumpers un less you get rid of the chrome.

SC Carts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the only way to do it properly is take them off and get them media blasted then you can either have them powder coated or painted. There's no easy solution, easy will look like you took the easy route after one weekend on the road.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used plasti dip on mine. It's really durable and it literally peels off if you don't like it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 178

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my chrome running boards Line-x sprayed and they clean up really nice. I thought the mud would stick to them and take a lot to wash off but it doesn't. Road ch!t sticks to my chrome bumpers worse than the running boards. If i was keeping my truck i would get the bumpers sprayed as well. It was $120 for both running boards so i can't see it being much more for the bumpers.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what i found from doing mine on my gmc. I had it powdercoated and the rocks and salt chipped it all up and peeled it. so i took bumper off sent it to Line-X got them to spray bedliner on it with a clear coat and it has been awesome! looks great and you never have to worry about chippping or peeling paint or powdercoat!

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what i found from doing mine on my gmc. I had it powdercoated and the rocks and salt chipped it all up and peeled it. so i took bumper off sent it to Line-X got them to spray bedliner on it with a clear coat and it has been awesome! looks great and you never have to worry about chippping or peeling paint or powdercoat!

Hey there, just wondering if you have any pics you would be able to post of your rig with the bumpers done? I'm waiting to do this to my Dmax as well

bspot

Reaction score

We like to use the 3M protective film over any painter or powdercoated bumper to help protect against chipping.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you get that done in town?

Got er done right in my driveway lol. 18 bucks a can at home hardware. Just cleaned the chrome up real nice and taped everything off. It sprays right on top of the chrome. I put on about 4 coats and still hasn't chipped or blemished after all summer and winter so far.

Top Bottom