Paint over or powder coat again?

sizmasta

Reaction score
Looking to change the color of my front suspension springs to white. Can i Just paint over the yellow? If so, What kind of paint could I use? Or should I get them powder coated again? Any ideas would be helpful...

thanx all

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you are a "show and shine" guy, get them powder coated again. Me and my tree riding, with witches hair and tree branches hanging all over my sled, scratches here and there, the odd dent, and a little duct tape, I'd just use a spray bomb with 2-3 coats and call it a day!

But that's me and not you.....just saying:beer:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe suspension springs are dipped, not powdercoated. Powdercoating can weaken the strength of the spring because of the heat process used to paint them. I think that is what I was told years ago.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are a "show and shine" guy, get them powder coated again. Me and my tree riding, with witches hair and tree branches hanging all over my sled, scratches here and there, the odd dent, and a little duct tape, I'd just use a spray bomb with 2-3 coats and call it a day!

But that's me and not you.....just saying:beer:
Now I know why you didn't opt for the X package:doh: you would scratch up those nice decals:crying3:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Now I know why you didn't opt for the X package:doh: you would scratch up those nice decals:crying3:

I take all the decals off enyways......even on an X

IMG_0155.jpg

this was the 08 XPX

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know....just havin fun. gotta go. Sun is out and my son wants me to take him out again.

Gave him my old sled to ride and I think he is hooked. In six seasons I never blew a belt...... he wound it out on the way down and kaboom. When I got to the lot he asked "what is this fuzzy stuff all over my boot"...too funny. I don't know how it kept going with what was left.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to change the color of my front suspension springs to white. Can i Just paint over the yellow? If so, What kind of paint could I use? Or should I get them powder coated again? Any ideas would be helpful...

thanx all

I painted mine white and the first paint I used was a quick dry. It did not look shiney like it should and looked chalky. I repainted with Tremclad and it gave me the finish I wanted but after a few weekends I do notice some chips that get touched up with a little brush. I will lightly sand and repaint at the begining of next season.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I painted mine white and the first paint I used was a quick dry. It did not look shiney like it should and looked chalky. I repainted with Tremclad and it gave me the finish I wanted but after a few weekends I do notice some chips that get touched up with a little brush. I will lightly sand and repaint at the begining of next season.

you guys and your "little chips" OMG

sizmasta

Reaction score
Thanx for the posts, Ya I'm not looking for anything fancy. I'm like most, a few scratches and dents never hurts anyone lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom