Pack out what you packed in. Please.

JONSHOW

Reaction score
On a day in the very recent past, while snowmobiling at the Core Lodge area at Babcock just outside Tumbler Ridge, I had opportunity to pop in to the Hotdog Stand and get out of the wind, peel off a layer and have a bite of lunch. The photos I have posted to this thread show what state our very small warm-up shack (The Hotdog Stand) has been left in. Had I packed along a large enough black garbage bag I'd have packed all this garbage out. It's unfortunate, but i'll be packing one next trip I guess. What you see is mostly discarded beer cans.

The following is a message to all who have contributed to the mess:

You had enough room in your pack/tankbag/tunnelbag/skimmer to pack your cans and other assorted items in, please have the courtesy to pack them out.
The TR Ridge Riders is a very small club with limited resources. Please do not expect your garbage to be packed out.

IMG_3960.JPG IMG_3961.JPG IMG_3962.JPG IMG_3963.JPG IMG_3964.JPG IMG_3965.JPG IMG_3966.JPG

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a day in the very recent past, while snowmobiling at the Core Lodge area at Babcock just outside Tumbler Ridge, I had opportunity to pop in to the Hotdog Stand and get out of the wind, peel off a layer and have a bite of lunch. The photos I have posted to this thread show what state our very small warm-up shack (The Hotdog Stand) has been left in. Had I packed along a large enough black garbage bag I'd have packed all this garbage out. It's unfortunate, but i'll be packing one next trip I guess. What you see is mostly discarded beer cans.

The following is a message to all who have contributed to the mess:

You had enough room in your pack/tankbag/tunnelbag/skimmer to pack your cans and other assorted items in, please have the courtesy to pack them out.
The TR Ridge Riders is a very small club with limited resources. Please do not expect your garbage to be packed out.

View attachment 184628View attachment 184629View attachment 184630View attachment 184631View attachment 184632View attachment 184633View attachment 184634

These people think they are doing the club a favor by leaving the empties. Happens all over the place. I Confronted some of these people and asked them to pack out their garbage and their reply was that the club takes the cans in for the deposit and that it helps fund the club. How do you argue with that kind of logic? My thought is we should take note of the people doing these favors and return the favor in the summertime by taking a great big greasy dump on their lawns, and when they say something about it Just reply that you doing them a favor by fertilizing their lawn.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is disgusting. The people that do this are the ones that will scream loudest when passes go up to help cover increased costs for maintaining these huts. It seems to be the most common complaint this year, the amount of garbage left behind is just giving the Greenies more ammunition to keep us out of areas.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like an issue here but at other cabins just because there is a trash and/or empties can doesn't mean you should use it. Pack it back down with you and save someone the trip up to collect all the trash with a skimmer.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
These people think they are doing the club a favor by leaving the empties. Happens all over the place. I Confronted some of these people and asked them to pack out their garbage and their reply was that the club takes the cans in for the deposit and that it helps fund the club. How do you argue with that kind of logic? My thought is we should take note of the people doing these favors and return the favor in the summertime by taking a great big greasy dump on their lawns, and when they say something about it Just reply that you doing them a favor by fertilizing their lawn.

I would gladly volunteer to take/leave said "big greasy dump".

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So not disagreeing with the whole pack out what you pack in I get that and I do it. My question is how come the clubs don't collect empties ? That seems like a easy source of money, I can only assume that it's not worth the effort for the return? As in the effort to haul them all the way to the depot vs the amount of money u would get doesn't make it worth while.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So not disagreeing with the whole pack out what you pack in I get that and I do it. My question is how come the clubs don't collect empties ? That seems like a easy source of money, I can only assume that it's not worth the effort for the return? As in the effort to haul them all the way to the depot vs the amount of money u would get doesn't make it worth while.
Your assumption is correct. Our club used to have barrels for empties at the cabin and then the cabin master would have to make a special trip in with a skimmer to haul them out, after cleaning up all around the barrel because who has time to pick up the one that missed, Then he has to take them and sort them( after they thaw out the dregs left behind ). Keep in mind this is all done by volunteers who would rather be out riding like the ones they are cleaning up behind. So, no you aren't really doing the club any favors leaving the empties behind.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely same individuals leaving cans at bottom of a hill or were they take cover for a break in the trees and just stomp them into the snow and think they magically dissappear. Then dump there macDonalds bags on the approach they stop to take a whiz at on way home. Then complain if their neighbor's shovel full of snow off drive way makes it 4" over onto their property.
Pack it out, leave it at the gas station or shovel your neighbors side walk before he gets home from work is to much to ask

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jason If you you would attend some of the meetings you would learn exactly how much work goes into maintaining the the trails and cabins. You would also see that there are very few people that are actually active members and they have lives as well. Like Catinthehat stated these people would rather be out riding rather than cleaning up after the ones that leave a mess. I don't know when the next meeting is because ( it breaks my heart to say this) I haven't attended the last couple of meetings, but I challenge you to buy a membershio and see exactly what it is that us older club members are talking about. Become part of the solution and not part of the problem, and what I mean by that is, join a club become active in the club and keep the club alive and active and you will continue to see the trails and cabins maintained. Or you can choose to do nothing an watch the trails and cabins deteriorate to nothing.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as the heavy but I'm just tired of watching the club dye a slow painful death and yet I see all kinds of people offering up Keyboard advice.

Sorry Rant over.

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quartz creek is terrible for this... Ya there is a barrel there but when it's full we might as well throw em on the ground around the barrel instead of crushing them and taking them back to the truck.. Fawkin pigs!! Doesn't help there's a dirty pine martin tearing the place apart in a regular... Beer Can is a fraction of the size crushed why is it so hard people

JONSHOW

Reaction score
My question is how come the clubs don't collect empties ? That seems like a easy source of money...

An "easy source" of money it is not. It seems to me, easy money could come through increased membership.
Collect 600 beer cans (that's enough for a single membership up here in TR) and go purchase a membership.
Already have your membership? Go buy one for your spouse, your kids, your neighbor or your friend (We all know one friend who "Just hasn't got around to it yet")
Increased membership should equate to increased sense of ownership, which might equate to less cans and garbage left out in the hills.
Increased membership might just help our cause for retaining land instead of losing it to caribou closures too...

Ryan_down

Reaction score
Summit tree... feel free the next time you make a trip from bonnyville to TR for a great weekend of riding an enjoying our backcountry to collect all the empties haul them out an return them an donate the cash to the TR ridge riders. Thanks in advance

Top Bottom