overheating maybe?

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy has a 99 mxz 600. hi temp light stays on almost constantly and hes losing coolant. both plugs look a little lean also. what do ya think? head gasket?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bring it inside let it dry out. if thats an option. run it and watch for coolant leaks.

if no coolant leaks then...

the plugs can be white either from it overheating and running to hot.

or...

its burning coolant cuasing the plug color.

you also have to ask " why is that overheat light on constantly if you are topping up the coolant?".

could possibly be an airlock in the system

prop the front end of the sled up with a jack, run it with the lid off and top up the coolant.

there is also a air screw on top of the t-stat on those motors you can release to purge the air.

the first thing you need to do is figure out where that coolant is disapearing to.

once you figure that out we can diagnose this a little farther.

doesnt hurt to pop the head off either...replace the 3 o-rings torque back to spec and test again.

let us know what you find!! curious about this one

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont think its an airlock as the coolant seems to be flowing thru the system. we did thaw it out and noticed a small leak on the top coolant line. what does the red light indicate? i know it means "HOT" but what temp does it go on at? if its burnong coolant then it has to be a head gasket. correct?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont think its an airlock as the coolant seems to be flowing thru the system. we did thaw it out and noticed a small leak on the top coolant line. what does the red light indicate? i know it means "HOT" but what temp does it go on at? if its burnong coolant then it has to be a head gasket. correct?

Plugs and pistons will have whitey-yellow colouring to them if it is burning coolant. Too lean is more grey white. Red light means "stop", its too hot.

Check the rad cap as well. If it is not releasing pressure then it could be building up in the system and finding other outlets, i.e. head gasket.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head gasket or coolant cap not sealing completely.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok. the leak was the top coolant hose. the temp light wasnt coming on cause it was hot. it was coming on because the wiring harness going to the gauges came loose and melted on the eshaust pipe! now he has no spark. headlight dosnt even come on when pulling it over. thinking he shorted out the mpem. 400 for a new one. can they bench test these things?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok. the leak was the top coolant hose. the temp light wasnt coming on cause it was hot. it was coming on because the wiring harness going to the gauges came loose and melted on the eshaust pipe! now he has no spark. headlight dosnt even come on when pulling it over. thinking he shorted out the mpem. 400 for a new one. can they bench test these things?

He may have just melted an ignition wire. I would try cutting the harness off, trimming the ends and use crimp connectors to hook it back up. I had to do that on my 02 zx 800. I melted the wires also but just lost my light, sled still ran great.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not sure but i think he fixed all the wires today. hes trying to find a MPEM from a 99 to 01 that he can try out.

mudbug

Reaction score
If you have enough wire to butt splice, make sure when you do it to use liquid tape to seal up the connections when your done to stop corrosion. :beer:

Top Bottom