overheating 08 outy 800

brpjunky

Reaction score
My bike overheats, and the rad is 90% clean, there maybe some mud caked in the corners but nothing major, the overheating happens even when I'm driving down a clean trail. Is there any mods that I can do to fixe this problem?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Welcome to the site :beer: My last Outty started overheating all the time too and I thought for sure the rad was spotless but it turned out that I needed to remove the rad and soak it then give it a good rinse. Cured mine. Have you tried sticking a flashlight behind it and making sure you can fully see through it? You might be surprised on just how a 10% plugged rad can make your quad run hot. It might just be a faulty sensor too?? Good Luck.

kimwin

Reaction score
check and see if the cores are swoll up,my 06 got pulledout of 3 rallies the cap on the overflow melted and couldnt releive pressure and when it overheated it expanded the cores thus no room for air to come thru
jmo good luck............

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Several people have this issue and not just on the outlanders. My renegade is fine though, no real overheating issues. I would do what the others suggested, and pick up some "water wetter" from JB's or Mopac and add 1/2 of it to the system, not the full bottle as this is for a car. Also another trick Ive seen is some peeps have added a switch that they can override the fan and you can have that running when you want.

juicy

Reaction score
are you losing any coolant? make sure to check that your coolant level is up. these water pumps are notorious for leaky seals. Service bulletin is available through your dealer if this is your problem.

service bulletin # 2008 - 13

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats something that i would look into.. we have at least 2-3 a week in the shop here with overheating issues, and we do that waterpump recall and never a complaint
after on overheating.. we see a lot of units here and thats usually the issue. at BowCycle South

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having overheating issues also, going to remove rad soak it and change the wiring on the fan so that it will blow on the rad and not try to pull air through it. Let you know how I make out.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having overheating issues also, going to remove rad soak it and change the wiring on the fan so that it will blow on the rad and not try to pull air through it. Let you know how I make out.

I wouldn't change the fan, that'll basically stop any cool air from the front from going through the rad when you are driving with fan running.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I wouldn't change the fan, that'll basically stop any cool air from the front from going through the rad when you are driving with fan running.

Ya but I think it would make a cool noise when your cruising down the road at like 80k ... ever Blow into a fan. :d

But seriously I wouldn't do it. Are you snorkled??? What size of snorkles? Does it go into Limp Mode when its hot or just a light comes on. Good chance its your rad. Maybe a little plugged. A good soak will definatley not hurt them.

H2O

Reaction score
A guy on another forum had over heating problems with his renegade and could not find the problem..... until the dealer found out that the fan had been wired to run in the wrong direction ( it was blowing air through the rad instead of sucking the air)
After they rewired it to run in the right direction no more overheating issues.

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try soaking the Rad because it's amazing how much stuff is in the corners, even though it looks clean, and I know when I bought my Renegade I was having issues also, took it in and it was my module.

mudbug

Reaction score
Also check the overflow tube and see how it is routed to the overflow bottle,Have found in the past that it is pinched off or the one we had from factory had a knot in it. after these issue's were taken care off there were no more over heating problems.

Good luck!!! :d:d

mudbitchs

Reaction score
Had the same issue with my 650. Brought it the Gibbons and they had to replace the radiator. According to the dealer there is an issue with the core of the rad. bonding together when it gets hot. It may be worth a try.

Mudbitches

07 650 Outlander Max

fordevr

Reaction score
I have a 07 outlander 800 and I had major problems The dealer put 3 rads in it. THey were just bloating. in 08 I put water wetter in it and that helped. The dealer also removed all the plastic in front of the rad. Pulled the little plug out that was under the rad fill cap. I'm gonna check and see about the waterpump recall....don't know if they did that or not. This year I didn't run water wetter and I had no issues. I did however purchase a $10 sprayer that fits on any water hose and has a setting where it sends out 20 or so small jet streams of water which works great for cleaning the rad vents.

fordevr

Reaction score
If you purchase a 800 outlander for going through mud, do this before you bring it home.

1) Snorkle it. (I opted for the stealthy snorkle) (your friends will get through more if you don't...BRP needs to work on this)
2) Full skid plates.
3) Aftermarket tires of your choice. (I have Mud Bitches. LOVE THEM!)
4) Hand thumb warmers (not nessasary but very very nice!)
5) Use the fancy "C" with a handle, shaped tool in your tool kit to Jack your suspention to the top.
6) A few other "EXTRAS" I have on mine are Dalton clutch and a Mud Slinger pipe.

NOW YOU HAVE A AWESOME MACHINE.

rene1

Reaction score
overheating, check coolant level(rad and resivior), check fuses, make sure the fan spins freely ( mine siezed solid). make sure rad is 100%clean. if this all checks out good, then i would see if it is actualy overheating. try and install a water temp guage maybe. you could also have a faiulty sensor.. it is located on top of the rear head. start with the little things. make sure the fan electrical conector is not coroded and is still conected tight...:beer:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check and see if the cores are swoll up,my 06 got pulledout of 3 rallies the cap on the overflow melted and couldnt releive pressure and when it overheated it expanded the cores thus no room for air to come thru
jmo good luck............

same exact thing happened to my bud's 800 outty this summer. replaced the rad and some sort of mod to the cap on the overflow to allow pressure to escape.

Top Bottom