Outlander 800 HMF

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Does anyone know if an outlander 800 has to be remapped when a slip on HMF is installed? I'm guessing that the fuel air mixture should be changed a little seeing as how the exhaust is pretty much straight piped now with hardly any restriction. Thanks.:beer:

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know anything about the quality or performance of UNI air filters..thanks again.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i know a little about k and n filters, somewhat the same as both kinds allow more flow.

instead of getting to much into my experiences with my 700 kawi with 8000km and how i now hate k and n, ill just say this, as im sure many will agree.

BRP is a huge company, that has been designing sleds, quads, boats, airplanes, trains etc for i dont know how many years. do u not think they have done there research and developed the BEST air filter for each application they can? i mean im sure you can agree that IF it was possible to get more flow WITHOUT comprimising filtering capability they would have already figured it out and done it?

and lastly it was explained and shown on a graph to me that yes, k and n and other filters alow whatever percent more air flow, but the stock air filters are very similar air filters on a 12000 rpm revving, whatever horsepower ninja street bike as they do on brutes and prairies. just saying :rant::rant::rant:

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run hfm pipes on my renegade and outlander 800 with no remapping with no problems at all. I run a uni filter on my 07 outlander. My 09 renegade I just use my stock filter

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i know a little about k and n filters, somewhat the same as both kinds allow more flow.

instead of getting to much into my experiences with my 700 kawi with 8000km and how i now hate k and n, ill just say this, as im sure many will agree.

BRP is a huge company, that has been designing sleds, quads, boats, airplanes, trains etc for i dont know how many years. do u not think they have done there research and developed the BEST air filter for each application they can? i mean im sure you can agree that IF it was possible to get more flow WITHOUT comprimising filtering capability they would have already figured it out and done it?

and lastly it was explained and shown on a graph to me that yes, k and n and other filters alow whatever percent more air flow, but the stock air filters are very similar air filters on a 12000 rpm revving, whatever horsepower ninja street bike as they do on brutes and prairies. just saying :rant::rant::rant:
I do agree that BRP would have used a good air filter for the standard engine, fuel, or exhaust system that they have developed, but now I have changed the flow of the exhaust. What once was restricted..is no more. Do you not feel the same way about Kawisaki? Haven't they been building machines for some time?

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have run hfm pipes on my renegade and outlander 800 with no remapping with no problems at all. I run a uni filter on my 07 outlander. My 09 renegade I just use my stock filter
Thanks alot. I read some things about the HMF pipe, and people were saying that they were good except they needed more air flow. They had a better hp gain by openenig up their air boxes or changing filters for more flow. I wasn't sure if the uni filter was "good" or not. I am assuming I will need some kind of boot..or sleeve to fit over the filter to keep small particles out?

albertasummitx

Reaction score
i was told to buy the power commander from the dealership if i wanted warranty ,with k&n,pipe etc. if anyone needs 1 i have a power commander forsale ,as well as pipe for 2006 800 outlander,used for september long weekend trip then totaled quad .:d

oh and k&n sells the pullover for the filter.

Last edited:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do agree that BRP would have used a good air filter for the standard engine, fuel, or exhaust system that they have developed, but now I have changed the flow of the exhaust. What once was restricted..is no more. Do you not feel the same way about Kawisaki? Haven't they been building machines for some time?

ya that was meant about any brand, does make sense what you said to. however switching between my stock filter and k and n i honestly feel absolutely no difference in throttle response or power, so its hard to say. if they claim a few horsepower increase and i dont feel it, then is it really a gain? where as with the pipe, yes i did feel it. (in my arms AND my ears):d

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot. I read some things about the HMF pipe, and people were saying that they were good except they needed more air flow. They had a better hp gain by openenig up their air boxes or changing filters for more flow. I wasn't sure if the uni filter was "good" or not. I am assuming I will need some kind of boot..or sleeve to fit over the filter to keep small particles out?

With the uni filter you shouldn't need any prefilter to put over it just use a good filter oil. The only fiters that it is a good idea to have the cover is with the k&n as they let in alot of fine dust particles compared to the foam style filters.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya that was meant about any brand, does make sense what you said to. however switching between my stock filter and k and n i honestly feel absolutely no difference in throttle response or power, so its hard to say. if they claim a few horsepower increase and i dont feel it, then is it really a gain? where as with the pipe, yes i did feel it. (in my arms AND my ears):d
If there is no difference felt, then it is no gain.. to me anyway. Thanks for the input man. I'm hoping to get the outy out on a good ride this weekend (if I'm not workin all day) to see what this pipe has really got. Already I can tell the difference...at least I think so. The quad seems to run just fine too, lol, as I was told that it would. Hopefully this weekend will be the test. The only thing I wish it had was a temporary silencer, so I could sneak it out of town lol. Way louder than she used to be!

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the uni filter you shouldn't need any prefilter to put over it just use a good filter oil. The only fiters that it is a good idea to have the cover is with the k&n as they let in alot of fine dust particles compared to the foam style filters.
I've heard that too. The k&n filters don't filter the fine particles well. But with the sleeve they should be alright, no?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i know what you mean about a temporay silencer. i live on a farm and dont have to worry about neighbours and dont get me wrong i LOVE the way it sounds, but after a long, 6 hour ride it can get tiring on the ears. But the next day its music to my ears again!

Top Bottom