Out-of-town sledders get a cold welcome in Castlegar.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
won't manpower pay a part of an employee's wages. the more you pay the more employee's you can choose from. :d

you can hire me, $125/hr.

Frig couple cases of beer and you wouldn't know what they were paying you HAHA

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
won't manpower pay a part of an employee's wages. the more you pay the more employee's you can choose from. :d

you can hire me, $125/hr.

not as if you'd make it far up the trail even if you were tempted to skip post and ride....

Just sayin...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So have you guys looked at getting some funding via grants and such to maybe update the snowcat? I look at mcbride as an example our club memberships went way up this past year thanks to alot of people wanting to help out the club. It cant see any downside to having more members and higher numbers of registered members, for example if they try to close an area you would be able to show how the user numbers have gone up and stuff like that. Do they not charge a trail pass fee for the trails that they maintain with the groomer?

Our cat's not that old and not really in need of an update yet, but we're not really set up to do maintenance on the trail either. Our trail head is an hour from town a long way up a not always well maintained Forest Service road. We rely on getting the seasons maintenance done off season. Increased use just caused the wear and tear to catch up to us this year.

Higher numbers actually hurts us when closures are discussed. Virtually all of our area is in Caribou habitat. One of the many things we had to do to keep most of it open is agree not to advertise the area.

Yes we collect trail pass fees, but we're not allowed to collect when we're not grooming (no club is allowed to actually...food for thought on some of the trails I've ridden in other areas lately after paying! ;)) and I must say we never have an issue with the out of area riders. It's the locals we spend all winter arguing with. Ultimately the only recourse we have with those that refuse to pay is small claims court. Ya, that'd be worth the time huh! :rolleyes: Only a Conservation Officer or MoT Recreation officer have legal enforcement authority. Good luck getting one of them to go up there. :(

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our cat's not that old and not really in need of an update yet, but we're not really set up to do maintenance on the trail either. Our trail head is an hour from town a long way up a not always well maintained Forest Service road. We rely on getting the seasons maintenance done off season. Increased use just caused the wear and tear to catch up to us this year.

Higher numbers actually hurts us when closures are discussed. Virtually all of our area is in Caribou habitat. One of the many things we had to do to keep most of it open is agree not to advertise the area.

Yes we collect trail pass fees, but we're not allowed to collect when we're not grooming (no club is allowed to actually...food for thought on some of the trails I've ridden in other areas lately after paying! ;)) and I must say we never have an issue with the out of area riders. It's the locals we spend all winter arguing with. Ultimately the only recourse we have with those that refuse to pay is small claims court. Ya, that'd be worth the time huh! :rolleyes: Only a Conservation Officer or MoT Recreation officer have legal enforcement authority. Good luck getting one of them to go up there. :(

That sucks that the trailhead is so far away. So does your club have a management agreement with the ministry for the trails? Cause that does make a difference on enforcement. Also do the locals not like riding the groomed trail. In mcbride we do fight a similar issue with the locals, it can be a pain in the butt. They figure that they shouldn't have to pay cause they only ride a short portion of the groomed trail. We are looking to hopefully have some new rates next for families and such. As it was this past season you paid for a trail pass for the sled no matter how many people were on it unlike some of the other area's where you pay for sled and also for any extra riders on that sled.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks that the trailhead is so far away. So does your club have a management agreement with the ministry for the trails? Cause that does make a difference on enforcement. Also do the locals not like riding the groomed trail.

Yup, sure do. And a license of occupation with whatever they cal MoL now for the cabin...and an as yet unsigned agreement with MoE to deal with Caribou...and a rather shaky agreement with MoTH for road maintenance...the list goes on. But still the only legal authority to enforce trail passes at the trail head falls to CO's or Rec Officers. That's why we like non-local riders....never have to argue. But like I said in the beginning....double edged sword when traffic increases.

Sure the locals love to ride the groomed trail. They just don't wanna pay! Go figure.:(

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, sure do. And a license of occupation with whatever they cal MoL now for the cabin...and an as yet unsigned agreement with MoE to deal with Caribou...and a rather shaky agreement with MoTH for road maintenance...the list goes on. But still the only legal authority to enforce trail passes at the trail head falls to CO's or Rec Officers. That's why we like non-local riders....never have to argue. But like I said in the beginning....double edged sword when traffic increases.

Sure the locals love to ride the groomed trail. They just don't wanna pay! Go figure.:(

That sucks.

EricW

Reaction score
I agree with all that Powder Pilot says, and I'm not just saying that cuz she has total purse strings on my riding Bud. lol.

I am an "outsider" and a "Yank" from the States and i stay at that same motel a lot. I have had no issues ever, even with the Washington plates. There is what I view as a small representaton of the club that voiced a concern about too many outside riders on the hill, but the movers and shakers of the club did not support that position.

I think it would be a huge stretch to connect the voices of a local minority with what I would view as a random act of a punk or two. The voices concerned with outsiders that I saw at the meeting were older, mature, folks who I just don't see supporting doing that type of thing no matter what their position was about the club supporting an open door policy.

Bummer that that happened to someone just trying to have fun, but if it were me I would still try again, and I do. Shoot a few of us a pm next time your coming over maybe there can be something additional that can be done to protect your rigs and gear. How 'bout Saturday. Hell I'll even loan ya my Washington plates, you'll be good for sure. Have a good one. EW

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Eric! There's still lots of snow on the Norns, a comfy spare room, and lots of secure trailer parking up here if you get the urge for a spring ride.

I think I am going to talk to the Super 8 about investing in some better security. There was another incident last week in the same section of the parking lot... Alberta plates this time :(

Top Bottom