Our BC tax dollars hard at work!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. But I think it was one of the best uses of taxpayer money in a long time! (Wait a minute before bashing me, I have a point to make.) It finally proved what those of us involved in this fight have been saying for years. This herd is doomed...and it had nothing to do with snowmobiles!

Trying it again, however, would be a terrible waste of money.

How do you figure this failure has proven what you and others involved in this fight have been saying for years?

Nothing to do with snowmobies? Can you provide evidence to back that up?

There are a number of factors that when all brought together are contributing to their demise. To say snowmobiles has nothing to do with it is a pretty bold statement.

Sleds flying around and through where they live in the winter drives them away. They winter in specific areas due to the type of food they eat. If they are driven out of their wintering areas how are they to survive?

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you figure this failure has proven what you and others involved in this fight have been saying for years?

There are a number of factors that when all brought together are contributing to their demise.
To say snowmobiles has nothing to do with it is a pretty bold statement.
Sleds flying around and through where they live in the winter drives them away. They winter in specific areas due to the type of food they eat. If they are driven out of their wintering areas how are they to survive?

As far as the southern purcell heard is concerned, their #s have declined over the past century (before sleds) and their decline has leveled out since the 90's. They have stayed at less than 20 animals since then.

Its funny how their #s have stopped declining since sleds started sharring their habitat.

I guess moyiesledhead is a bold man?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The herds in the hart ranges where on the increase before the sled closures ... i wonder what is going to happen now? Hell you would think the parks would be full of cariboo...no sledding in there ever...no dam cariboo either.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sure can. I don't make "BOLD" statements...I educate myself. You should give it a try!

Trevor Kinley did a 5 year radio collar study on the South Purcell herd in the 1990's while the population was declining. That study recorded zero mortality between January and May over that 5 year period. The Caribou get eaten by predators the rest of the year...plain and simple. Here's a page from that study that tells you how and when they died. There's lots more evidence I could show you but...quite frankly...you're just not worth my time! The link is there if you're actually interested in reading the complete document. Somehow I doubt that'll happen.

south%20purcell.jpg

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What....no more snappy comebacks RJ? Hmmmmmmm.....environmentalists shut up pretty quick when we shove the actual science in their faces too! Too bad government won't listen.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. We quoted it over and over again. In the end it didn't matter. The leaf lickers have way more time and money to lobby government than we do.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As of 2 days ago....4 out of 20 transplanted Caribou left alive in the South Purcells. That doesn't include the calves lost when the pregnant cows were eaten. Transplant for this spring is on hold. Can't find a suitable donor herd that the natives will let them kidnap animals from. :nono:

clay923

Reaction score
why transplant more, seems like suicidal test. ive riden valemont 25 yrs and have never seen a caribou. seen tracks in milaige. rode Mcbride renshaw last year and there was presents of conservation officers there and they were very informative but the first ive ever seen of them in 25yrs of sledding.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Ken. Friggin' greenies/WildSight will just keep picking away behind the scenes in their secret manner and then with the governmental ducks all in a row there will be another major announcement.

With the change in government, it is going to be a sad time for motorized sport in this province. If Bennett doesn't get in and maybe even if he does get in, there will be major changes in the southeast part of the province that will curtail our enjoyment of the back-country.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friggin' greenies/WildSight will just keep picking away behind the scenes in their secret manner and then with the governmental ducks all in a row there will be another major announcement.

100% correct. It's not over by a long shot....just over for this spring. All bets are off with an NDP government! I've had a few dissagreements with Bill over the years, but he definately supports motorized recreation not to mention good paying jobs in resource industries. When it comes right down to it, what else does BC really have to support a viable economy where the leaf lickers can still protest while collecting their welfare cheques?

Damn! That was my outside voice again!:rant:

Top Bottom