Opinions on Rk Tek Head

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying the Rk Tek head (15 hp bolt on kit) for my 2008 800. I can't seem to find a whole lot of opinions on it. The motor right now is stock except for a MBRP can and a Rk Tek secondary clutch kit. Anyone running this head?

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying the Rk Tek head (15 hp bolt on kit) for my 2008 800. I can't seem to find a whole lot of opinions on it. The motor right now is stock except for a MBRP can and a Rk Tek secondary clutch kit. Anyone running this head?
Give this guy a call his name is brent linderman (arctic edge motorsports) if u want sum good ideas...1-403-564-4673

Reactions: oly

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont have his head on my m series, however i ran his drop in kit in my 07 800r, the drop in kit made it run better than stock but i personaly dont see the hp gain from double ring pistons and a head.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have this setup on my wife's M8 with an SLP pipeset (had the pipe first). The thicker base gasket provided raises port timing, and the head corrects the compression ratio. Pulls 2g heavier weights then previoussly, so it is making more power. No downside to this mod that I can see - the biggest "seat of the pants" difference is in the mid range and top end.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have this setup on my wife's M8 with an SLP pipeset (had the pipe first). The thicker base gasket provided raises port timing, and the head corrects the compression ratio. Pulls 2g heavier weights then previoussly, so it is making more power. No downside to this mod that I can see - the biggest "seat of the pants" difference is in the mid range and top end.

he also uses shorter piston skirts on some of his drop in kits, local dealer tried the drop in kit on an xp and seen a 4hp increase over stock and seen 9hp with pipe y pipe and can, can till a slight difference in mid and top, only reason i went the drop in kit way was when i rebuilt the top end it was similar in pricing to the oem parts so i gave it a try

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am using that setup on my 09 M8. I am using stock exhaust with a Super q can which is what Kelsey (RKT) recommended, and a D&D intake. I thought it was running lean but it turned out to be a bad o2 probe which was giving me a lean reading. I replace the the probe and rode 3 days in super deep powder this last weekend and it worked great. I bought the sled with the head and base gasket so i don't know how it would pull over stock. Personally i would put the money into clutching or a camo extreme 2.5 track. I have a boondocker box which Rk tek says you don't need but a WOT my air/fuel guage was reading 13.0-13.5 so i had to add fuel on the top end so it's not so lean. I also had the drop in kit on an 05 rev which worked pretty good but i had to run a mix of race gas and premium and that was a pain in the a$$.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am using that setup on my 09 M8. I am using stock exhaust with a Super q can which is what Kelsey (RKT) recommended, and a D&D intake. I thought it was running lean but it turned out to be a bad o2 probe which was giving me a lean reading. I replace the the probe and rode 3 days in super deep powder this last weekend and it worked great. I bought the sled with the head and base gasket so i don't know how it would pull over stock. Personally i would put the money into clutching or a camo extreme 2.5 track. I have a boondocker box which Rk tek says you don't need but a WOT my air/fuel guage was reading 13.0-13.5 so i had to add fuel on the top end so it's not so lean. I also had the drop in kit on an 05 rev which worked pretty good but i had to run a mix of race gas and premium and that was a pain in the a$$.
The 07-09 M8's were lacking in performance motor wise - the kit is a decent bang for your buck. My wifey's M8 has a 2.5 camo extreme 162", and clutching done. I honestly think any gain in traction with the 2.5 would have been wasted without the head/base gasket setup (loss of trackspeed). Very happy with it, no race fuel required. I am running a BD box, but improvements have been made to intake and exhaust as well - I imagine you can get away without one if you follow Kelsey's recommendations. Just be aware that you get what you ask for - a head designed for 6000' will require race fuel at lower elevations or colder temperatures.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 07-09 M8's were lacking in performance motor wise - the kit is a decent bang for your buck. My wifey's M8 has a 2.5 camo extreme 162", and clutching done. I honestly think any gain in traction with the 2.5 would have been wasted without the head/base gasket setup (loss of trackspeed). Very happy with it, no race fuel required. I am running a BD box, but improvements have been made to intake and exhaust as well - I imagine you can get away without one if you follow Kelsey's recommendations. Just be aware that you get what you ask for - a head designed for 6000' will require race fuel at lower elevations or colder temperatures.

What intake and exhaust are you running? I have the D&D fire breather and the sled had an SLP exhaust system which i changed out as per Kelsey's instructions back to a stock y-pipe, pipe and super q can. I posted a video in the mcbride conditions section from last weekend, the sled works really good but again I didn't ride it stock so i have no comparison.

1badhusky

Reaction score
I've ridden w/ my rkt head on my m1000 about 6 times now - I'm still amazed at how badass the top end feels.

Stockorwalk

Reaction score
Only experience I got with this head mod is a buddy put it on his xp and the dealer couldn't even get it to run as good as stock.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only experience I got with this head mod is a buddy put it on his xp and the dealer couldn't even get it to run as good as stock.

Seen this happen on our buds 04 summit also, sled would not run worth a ....., however my 07 ran good with his drop in kit and anothr sled in our group has an 860 from rktek in it, sled works great but

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have this head on my 08 m8 and it works great sled seams to pull harder but i also did a pipe and clutch kit. i am not running a box and i have no issue

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have this head on my 08 m8 and it works great sled seams to pull harder but i also did a pipe and clutch kit. i am not running a box and i have no issue

You don't need a box for mountains but down low (1800-2000 feet) its a little lean. i'm sure i could get away with out it as long as i don't hold it open for too long on a lake or field.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call Linderman.
I had a 800 head cut for my GF's 07 m8 so I wouldn't have to mess around at the pumps with 87 and 91 in mine. I like it and she loves it. The engine's power is much smoother.

WaBackcountry

Reaction score
I had an 07 M8 with rktek head 14.5:1 compression and full SLP Single pipe. I had to run 2-3 gallons Rgas per tank because of high compression and lower elevation (3000-6000). Sled was the best NA M8 I saw. Since sold it and bought a PC.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen this happen on our buds 04 summit also, sled would not run worth a ....., however my 07 ran good with his drop in kit and anothr sled in our group has an 860 from rktek in it, sled works great but
If you ask ten people the same question, you'll get ten opinions, or "my buddy's sled" story. First off, most tuning issues I've ever seen with cut cylinder heads / big bores / etc is that they are bought over the counter at your local dealer or a specialty shop. Most (NOT ALL) dealers order a cylinder head package that is 14.1 or 14.5:1, as that is what the majority of thier customers want, so this is what they stock. If you order your kit from Kelsey, BE HONEST, and know your riding elevation, and if any other modifications are done, or plan to be done. I personally have never had a CR of more then 13.8:1 on any sled, as my primary reason for running an aftermarket head is better cooling (RK Tek stuff has never heat soaked on me, even on multiple runs up a hill). The "15hp kit for the M8 consists of a thicker (much thicker) base gasket to raise port timing (poor man's porting,this isn't a new thing, stacked gaskets and rave gaskets on 670's for years), and provide a tighter head to ensure correct compression ratio. Now, before you decide to order a thicker base gasket and plane your head at a machine shop, be aware that RK Tek has put a lot of time into knowing the proper amount of squish, shape of the combustion chamber,volume etc, etc. I used to measure deck height back in the day due to engine varience - they sure weren't identical. IMO, money well spent. If you buy it over the counter and expect y-pipe "A" to work with head "D", to work with pipe "F", you will be in for a tuning nightmare, or possibly a sled that is slower then a stocker. Spend $5 in long distance and call him, ask HIS recommendations. Hope this helps, PM me if you have any questions.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you ask ten people the same question, you'll get ten opinions, or "my buddy's sled" story. First off, most tuning issues I've ever seen with cut cylinder heads / big bores / etc is that they are bought over the counter at your local dealer or a specialty shop. Most (NOT ALL) dealers order a cylinder head package that is 14.1 or 14.5:1, as that is what the majority of thier customers want, so this is what they stock. If you order your kit from Kelsey, BE HONEST, and know your riding elevation, and if any other modifications are done, or plan to be done. I personally have never had a CR of more then 13.8:1 on any sled, as my primary reason for running an aftermarket head is better cooling (RK Tek stuff has never heat soaked on me, even on multiple runs up a hill). The "15hp kit for the M8 consists of a thicker (much thicker) base gasket to raise port timing (poor man's porting,this isn't a new thing, stacked gaskets and rave gaskets on 670's for years), and provide a tighter head to ensure correct compression ratio. Now, before you decide to order a thicker base gasket and plane your head at a machine shop, be aware that RK Tek has put a lot of time into knowing the proper amount of squish, shape of the combustion chamber,volume etc, etc. I used to measure deck height back in the day due to engine varience - they sure weren't identical. IMO, money well spent. If you buy it over the counter and expect y-pipe "A" to work with head "D", to work with pipe "F", you will be in for a tuning nightmare, or possibly a sled that is slower then a stocker. Spend $5 in long distance and call him, ask HIS recommendations. Hope this helps, PM me if you have any questions.

Yep, what he said. I got rid of my SLP exhaust and put a stock pipe and Super Q can on cuz thats what Kelsey recommened and the sled works way better. He designs his stuff to run with a stock set up. I am using a Boondocker box and an air/fuel guage even though i was told its not needed. I can run the BD box at all zero's until the top end (7800-8100 rpm) and i have to add fuel because the A/F is 13.0-13.5 which is a little lean acording to Linderman. He told me I should have 12.0-12.7 on a WOT pull.

Last edited:
Top Bottom