Opinions on Can Am Renegade

finndoo

Reaction score
I currently have two 08 Grizzly 700 quads for my wife and I. As a utility quad for exploring and hunting I do not have any complaints. What I would like to do is sell one of the Grizzs and possibly get a Renegade 800 so that i can blast along faster on the trails, jump a bit more and get a bit more of an overall rush while the sledding season is over. So how is the ride on the renegades, I had a Raptor 660 that i just sold because i found it to be too rough on the long rides and the lack of 4wd sucked. Has the reliability been good on the Renegades? If I get a rack for the rear will it still work for hunting season or will it be too much of a PIA to put down the trails in search of swamp donkeys. Thanks for any input you have:beer:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Can-Am now has a cross breed with the outlander and the gade. Its an Xc basically a renegade with outlander plastic. Stay much cleaner riding it and has rack space. Think Im getting one.

IMO... Can-Am's relieability is no question.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can-Am now has a cross breed with the outlander and the gade. Its an Xc basically a renegade with outlander plastic. Stay much cleaner riding it and has rack space. Think Im getting one.

IMO... Can-Am's relieability is no question.

Cool...:rolleyes: I never knew they had a x-breed, that will sell quick.
Do they come with complimentry Ipods???

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca

I wish :( hey on the plus side the Canmore Inn mailed an Ipod back to me a week or so ago that I had left there :d that woulda been #6 gone :eek:

Ya this XC package comes with a cool sticker package as well that prolly adds another 10hp alone :rolleyes:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
===== QUOTE Quadtrash 668 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

I wish :( hey on the plus side the Canmore Inn mailed an Ipod back to me a week or so ago that I had left there :d that woulda been #6 gone :eek:

Ya this XC package comes with a cool sticker package as well that prolly adds another 10hp alone :rolleyes:

Will that decal kit add 10hp to any of the can-am quads or does it only work on the 2011's?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure:confused: but I doo know that in order to keep my frontend on the ground I had to pressure wash all the decals off my 08' :cool:

No wonder I took the top end outta the Doo! I removed too many stickers, added more power, didn't jet, and BLAMO!!!!!!!!!!!! Dead sled :rant:

Man..... you Super Greenies know wtf your talking about :D

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a great quad now in that 700,.. IMO do you really need a new quad or are you just looking for a reason to spend?

If you have no doubts, do the switch, but IMO I would wait until you actually need to :thumbsup2:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a grizzly 660 and just bought the renegade 500 for the wife. It rides ok but the grizzly rides alot better. Still a fun quad. They are right about it being a dirty ride. Not much protection.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I currently have two 08 Grizzly 700 quads for my wife and I. As a utility quad for exploring and hunting I do not have any complaints. What I would like to do is sell one of the Grizzs and possibly get a Renegade 800 so that i can blast along faster on the trails, jump a bit more and get a bit more of an overall rush while the sledding season is over. So how is the ride on the renegades, I had a Raptor 660 that i just sold because i found it to be too rough on the long rides and the lack of 4wd sucked. Has the reliability been good on the Renegades? If I get a rack for the rear will it still work for hunting season or will it be too much of a PIA to put down the trails in search of swamp donkeys. Thanks for any input you have:beer:

rknight111 & sumx54, are your best bet for info. They have ridden Can Ams for years. Send them both a PM, and I'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction, with a bit of ribbing lol.

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The Renegade is a fun quad, not for hunting or utility use. You do get very muddy, but it goes. Sumx and myself ride in Mountains and Mud video's with our quads. The thing can sure take a beating, and everyone I know will vouch for that. Mines the one with all the MUD.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwPpVLtbWc[/YT]

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron, your gade can sure take a beating, but that doesn't mean it survives a lot of it... $$$$:)$$$$

finndoo

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Does the Renegade run the same gearing, cams, compression, mapping etc as the 800 outlanders.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Not a very good sales pitch....just sayin
I think the Outlander has more ponies cause I can SPANK rkinght111's Renegade every time we ride together
:smiliestirthepot::smiliestirthepot::smiliestirthepot::smiliestirthepot:

Until I'm upside down in the river :eek:

J/K :d

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Gade and Outty have exactly the same power train and frame. Gade has sportier shock setup, no fenders, no racks, no winch, cool lights, and one gram lighter clutch weights. I've had my 07 since new and never had a major failure. Minor problems were covered under my 42 month warranty. (got a 6 month extension with a coupon in 07) Reliability is awesome. I used to get a new quad and sled every year or every other year at the most and I just have no plans to replace my Outty still.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The Gade and Outty have exactly the same power train and frame. Gade has sportier shock setup, no fenders, no racks, no winch, cool lights, and one gram lighter clutch weights. I've had my 07 since new and never had a major failure. Minor problems were covered under my 42 month warranty. (got a 6 month extension with a coupon in 07) Reliability is awesome. I used to get a new quad and sled every year or every other year at the most and I just have no plans to replace my Outty still.

WoW! Looks like you have a passion for RC flight...thats cool :cool:
I keep threatening to get rid of my 08' outlander for a new one but truth be told.... I still get butterfly's everytime I ride it. Still runs and handles like day one :d

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The frame is different, I inquired about one when I broke mine in half.

My Renegade only has a clutch kit, the dalton kit and an aftermarket muffler. I have never touched the gearing. It is faster than the outlanders and alot more nimble, as you see sumx's post it says J/K after. I haven't checked yet but I believe the gearing is lower, I know they are a bit lighter, but I cant see that being the reason for the difference in performance. The suspension is slightly different as well. Its as someone said in another thread a crossover. Not a sport quad but not a full utility either.
And an answer to another question, Upkeep is important, I do ride the crap out of mine, I have broken my frame, broke all of my axles many times, broke my steering post a few times, shocks, engine output shafts a few times, headlight/front fender mounts a few times. I have had my machine done to the bare frame already, replaced all the bushings and bearings and it ready for this season, well mostly. I need to get it to a dealer to run through diagnostics as I have no spark, changed the coil and the wiring to it and still nothing. Possibly the stator or the computer. I would never knock this machine as Ive had it many times over the bars in water or skeg and it just kept going. Breaking the axles would be driver abuse.

finndoo

Reaction score
Yeah things break when you run em hard so I agree that maintenance is important, I think i learned that the hard way with the TRA clutch on my xp. Sounds like the outlander 800 may be a better choice for me because with the Renegade I would have to put on fender extensions, rear rack, better tires and a winch. I have watched some renegades and ridden the outy 800 it just seems like the Renegades pick the front end up easier, if it is not a power difference then why?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The renegade front is lighter and I think they might have a differert clutch helix as well. I put a Dalton kit in my outlander at first then changed the primary spring over to a EBC red spring. I have a Dobek adjustable chip, A custom header and a HMF slip on. K&N. I can Easily bring the front end up when ever I need from 0-30 km/hr. Unlike Ron I have never had the axle grief that he has, as I stick with somewhat of a non aggressive tire.(27" XTR ) I think Ron is running some crazy Mud Bitches. Im now. Running a 27" radial Reptile tire. I do not recommend this tire. Its a new design with too much side wall flex for high speed control, great in the mud though. I always run stock rims, I like high speed bashing and stock rims give you the best control. i also have Pro-Taper bars with a 2" ROX bar riser which lets me have way more control in the standing position.

Top Bottom