opinion needed, 2014 summit 800 sport or 2012 procross xf1100 turbo sno pro ltd

littlehoe

Reaction score
Hey there guys and gals, I am looking at getting back into sledding and I want to stay around the 10g budget. Looking at a crossover/ shorter mountain sled type of machine as I am a flatlander...that would only make the odd trip out west. I have been looking at the 2014 summit sport which I like because it is a new sled but then I have found 2 2012 procross xf 1100 turbo sno pro ltds at the local dealer for 9000 and 9500 respectively. My last sled was an 09 nytro mtx and after that I swore I would never ride a 4 stroke again, I found it heavy, slow, and felt like I was always fighting to control the thing in hard snow conditions... So what are the cat 4 strokes like? or should I just stick with my first impression of the 4 stroke and go back to a 2 stroker... ?

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stick with your gut feeling. If you said you wouldn't go back to a fourstroke don't. The 1100's power is addicting but if you take that heavy beast out west you are not going to be happy. I recently drank the the doolaide that everyone here is serving up so I am a bit biased now. I did have the 1100 last year and I wasn't too impressed with the fit and finish of the sled.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys and gals, I am looking at getting back into sledding and I want to stay around the 10g budget. Looking at a crossover/ shorter mountain sled type of machine as I am a flatlander...that would only make the odd trip out west. I have been looking at the 2014 summit sport which I like because it is a new sled but then I have found 2 2012 procross xf 1100 turbo sno pro ltds at the local dealer for 9000 and 9500 respectively. My last sled was an 09 nytro mtx and after that I swore I would never ride a 4 stroke again, I found it heavy, slow, and felt like I was always fighting to control the thing in hard snow conditions... So what are the cat 4 strokes like? or should I just stick with my first impression of the 4 stroke and go back to a 2 stroker... ?
You are comparing apples and oranges... the cat is going to be heavier then the summit by a good margin. However, the 1100 turbo engine is very impressive, and the proclimb chassis handles very well - considerably better then a nytro, and it hides it's weight well. If you are concerned about trail manners the Cat will be better then the Summit, but off trail the Summit will be far more nimble, although lacking ponies by comparison. If the cat is a used sled, ensure there are no signs of grenading belts (should be fairly obvious once the side panel is opened). If new, ensure the dealer has completed all of the service bulletins prior to taking delivery. And above all, talk to some people in your area, and go with the dealer that has the best after sales service. If I was making the purchase as a trail sled - I would go with the cat. If I was using it as primarily a mountain sled, I would purchase the summit.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am bias. Go with the Summit Sport. You will love the nimbleness of that sled. It is ride, ride, ride............and no problems for the rest of the winter. You shouldn't even need to change a belt until 3000 kms.

There will be no wrenching what-so-ever with the Sport!

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote leans towards the Summit Sport. If I was in the market for a sled this year, that would be it. Tons of value there in my eyes.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, Summit Sport especially if you do plan on riding the hills once in awhile. And it will still make a wicked fun trail sled. The price is right too.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the sport! You get a brand new sled for probably less then a $1000 then the two used ones. The sport has been around for along time and have all the kinks worked out! Google problems with the 1100 turbo cat that will probably stear away from those sleds

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why buy a summit when you may or may not ride the mountains? not sure on the specs of the new summits but i'm sure they don't handle nearly as good as a true flat land sled. why sacrifice the handling for say 4000kms of riding at home to gain very little handling for 100kms of mountain riding?

if you're coming out to the mountains once a year you're going to be stuck all day regardless of what sled you ride. a more mountain specific sled will just get you into more trouble.

buy the type of sled for the type of riding you do most.

Top Bottom