Oooops! Anyone have a spare tunnel for an '08 Nytro?

4stroker

Reaction score
Found a rather large pointy rock hidden just underneath the snow and managed to zipper my tunnel from footwell to tunnel extension. The rivet holes were also pulled from the extension and I will have to replace the rail as well. The stiffener on that side survived the impact, as did the footwell. I had a crazy idea to try and stitch this thing back together with a tig welder for the rest of the season....but the way the aluminum is torn would make the welding difficult and probably very ugly. I have apologized to my sled, and we are presently on speaking terms....but all my other junk is blown up and I have nothing to ride. Any advice? And how much grief/agony is involved with replacing the tunnel? And who makes the best rivets? Maybe the missus will let my upgrade to an aftermarket tunnel, but I highly doubt it... ha ha...:eek:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try CR racing. I think he's out of kelowna and builds awsome tunnels.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CR is very nice, but i have heard a lot of complaints from guys wishing they had gone a different route, CR tunnels are mass produced now and the quality has gone down along with quality control, the chrome paint tends to wear off after a while too. Van Aumburg Van Amburg Enterprises would be a better bet in the long term, there turn around might take longer but a better product, CR probably has tunnels in stock and could ship the next day. Looking ugly isn't so bad, if you can stitch it back together until the end of the season i would do that, your replacing it later anyways to you can toss it when ur done, then for your summer project get a new aftermarket tunnel. If you do the tunnel swap now you might miss whatever of the season is left, i hung up my tether cord after Yamafest.

Tunnel exchange is very long and involved process, if your familiar with your sled and handy with a wrench you could probably do it in 2 days or so, less if you had help.

Good luck !

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cr is very nice, but i have heard a lot of complaints from guys wishing they had gone a different route, cr tunnels are mass produced now and the quality has gone down along with quality control, the chrome paint tends to wear off after a while too. Van aumburg van amburg enterprises would be a better bet in the long term, there turn around might take longer but a better product, cr probably has tunnels in stock and could ship the next day. Looking ugly isn't so bad, if you can stitch it back together until the end of the season i would do that, your replacing it later anyways to you can toss it when ur done, then for your summer project get a new aftermarket tunnel. If you do the tunnel swap now you might miss whatever of the season is left, i hung up my tether cord after yamafest.

Tunnel exchange is very long and involved process, if your familiar with your sled and handy with a wrench you could probably do it in 2 days or so, less if you had help.

Good luck !

how informative.....thanks

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
CR will have a take off Nytro tunnel you can pick up in town.
The Nytro tunnel is the easiest in the business to change...........comes off in an hour or so and the new one in within 3-4.....or maybe 6 at the most.
CR would do it in house as well real quick.......go see Chad.
CM

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CR will have a take off Nytro tunnel you can pick up in town.
The Nytro tunnel is the easiest in the business to change...........comes off in an hour or so and the new one in within 3-4.....or maybe 6 at the most.
CR would do it in house as well real quick.......go see Chad.
CM

Yep Climbmax is right...easiest tunnel ever to change!! You can for surely get it done in a day.

As for rivets...the best in my opinion are stainless bodies with a stainless pin and a variable grip range. You can buy them at most quality fastener shops. A couple brands that make these are Vari-Grip and POP...there are many more also. I use the Vari-Grip and have good luck with them...your gonna want an air riveter for these:d

G

Guest1

CR is very nice, but i have heard a lot of complaints CR tunnels are mass produced now and the quality has gone down along with quality control, the chrome paint tends to wear off after a while too!

Guess that is why most of the Turbo Apex & Nytro sleds (let alone all the other brands) I see are using CR tunnels...because of crappy quality and and chitty quality control :rolleyes:

Not sure on the chrome tunnel paint issue..Snotty any probs with yours?

4Stroker as per CM check with Chad for sure ... he is good peeps and will always fix any issues you are having that would have to do with something not right from his end (my experience).

OVER!!!

ps...Yes VANAM makes a GREAT tunnel as well :d

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess that is why most of the Turbo Apex & Nytro sleds (let alone all the other brands) I see are using CR tunnels...because of crappy quality and and chitty quality control :rolleyes:

Not sure on the chrome tunnel paint issue..Snotty any probs with yours?

4Stroker as per CM check with Chad for sure ... he is good peeps and will always fix any issues you are having that would have to do with something not right from his end (my experience).

OVER!!!

ps...Yes VANAM makes a GREAT tunnel as well :d

I have owned both brands....fit on the CR is slighty better...the mock points are perfect.
Not sure what paint we are talking about:confused:, but the polish is deep and lasting. You cant replicate the shine yourself unless you are a proffessional polisher.
Yup Chad's got back bone big time.
Done 3 tunnels on Yammies at our shop.....easiest install like CM said.

I did bent a CR tunnel......M1000 dropped 20 feet straight down...lawn darted a rock cliff....360'ed I dont know how many times...dropped another 30 feet and harpooned the rear end again. Rear cap was bent. The bumper hoop, gas racks and cooler were all reuseable....If this is the poor qaulity your talking about, I'am at a loss for words.
Chad helped me with the rebuild with advise and stand -up pricing.

I only have 1 bad thing to say about CHAD and it happened at the Vernon Esso:eek:;):d

Last edited:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with NM he has some smoking deals in the classifies section.

A BEER NM??????????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably should of said i wasn't bashing Chad or CR stuff, not in the slightest. My info has come from a few people that own them and just discussion about them, none of it has been my own, one guy felt pretty strongly about his CR tunnel not being very good and wished he had gone another route. Another friend of mine did a minor roll in the sugar bowl up on boulder and tweaked his, 5K later for a new one. As for the paint i have seen some sleds ridding around where it has pealed or chipped off right where your leg rubs in most riders standing position. I don't have one so i can't give my personal opinion. As for tunnel changes i didn't know Yami's were that easy till a few weeks ago, so my apologies, apparently they are the easiest to change in the business, must be nice.

Have Fun
Cheers

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for rivets...the best in my opinion are stainless bodies with a stainless pin and a variable grip range. You can buy them at most quality fastener shops. A couple brands that make these are Vari-Grip and POP...there are many more also. I use the Vari-Grip and have good luck with them...your gonna want an air riveter for these:d

You can get the heavy duty ones at Acklands as well, get a 1/4" one if you can, most sled shops have some in the back. You could put them in with a regular hand riveter (no air), you would have to drill out the 3/16" rivet tip for the gun so the bigger rivet shank will fit (most common hand riverters are only built for 3/16" rivets so you would likely be exceeding the "recommended usage" of the tool:D) and use both hands to squeeze realllllll hard but it can be done (yes I've done it:)). I wouldn't stand behind the rivet gun cuz when the shank comes off it usually doesn't stay in the gun, it comes out the back end reallllllly fast! Mine stuck into the drywall on the other side of the garage - if that gives you any indication. Make sure you wear safety glasses if you try this. Putting in a few of these is possible, doing a whole sled by hand might be tough.

I'm not recommending you do it but it can be done. ;)

Kingsandman

Reaction score
Probably should of said i wasn't bashing Chad or CR stuff, not in the slightest. My info has come from a few people that own them and just discussion about them, none of it has been my own, one guy felt pretty strongly about his CR tunnel not being very good and wished he had gone another route. Another friend of mine did a minor roll in the sugar bowl up on boulder and tweaked his, 5K later for a new one. As for the paint i have seen some sleds ridding around where it has pealed or chipped off right where your leg rubs in most riders standing position. I don't have one so i can't give my personal opinion. As for tunnel changes i didn't know Yami's were that easy till a few weeks ago, so my apologies, apparently they are the easiest to change in the business, must be nice.

Have Fun
Cheers

There's not a single tunnel in CR's inventory that costs $5000, even installed! As for "chrome paint", what are you talking about? No such thing, they're either polished or powdercoated or both. Tunnels are still produced exactly the same way as they've been from day one.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's not a single tunnel in CR's inventory that costs $5000, even installed! As for "chrome paint", what are you talking about? No such thing, they're either polished or powdercoated or both. Tunnels are still produced exactly the same way as they've been from day one.

Maybe thats installed from a shop then, all i know is thats what he told me!! maybe he got a raw deal who knows, could of been rounding up.

that is what im talking about it, i guess it's polished and powedercoated... whatever it is... it flakes over time.

Top Bottom