Online survey about avalanche bulletins

AvyDaze

Reaction score
Website
www.avalanche.ca
With Parks Canada and Alberta Parks, the Canadian Avalanche Centre is working on a revision of public avalanche bulletins. The idea is for there to be a greater emphasis on graphics, and less on text. The link below takes you to a short (5 minute) survey where you can view the proposed graphics at work, and complete a survey that is designed to
test comprehension.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AvalancheIcons)

If you are willing to provide feedback, we would appreciate your time in helping us improve avalanche forecasts in the future. Thankyou from Parks Canada, Alberta Parks, and the Canadian Avalanche Centre.

Manatee

Reaction score
Good Icons,
Makes reading the bulletings very easy. However, I wouldn't want to see the text in the bulletins go away. At first glance, it makes it easy to see whats going on out there in a general sence. But I still make sure I read all of the report when I am reading bulletins, because usually there is more to it than just what the pictures say.
The text is usually what talks about how the conditions will change during the day, and to watch for.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The icons are good for a day to day assessment but it is still nice to read about things a week before and also for those that are learning how things work

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think with the adoption of these icons, MORE people will read that sort of report... But their understanding of exactly what is happening in the mountains may be diminished.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't think the CAC will give up the text portion of the bulletin. They know how important it is to let people know or reinforce people's psyche about the Jan 15th rain crust that is buried, or the large hoar event on Jan 27th, etc that they will continue with that information.

I completed the survey and liked the suggested icons. It goes without saying that someone that is going to the mountains to ride the back-country needs to know a little history and what underlies the visual snowpack.

Just my thoughts.....

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. The depth of the layers is so important! Knowing where the weak layers are and the history of the snowpack throughout the year is key.

Is a small slab 1', and a very large slab 5', or are the numbers irrelevant?

fiasco123

Reaction score
I am sure a little bit of advertising down there for them wouldn't hurt them!!

Top Bottom