one ton dodge wheel studs breaking

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to rotate my tires today and had two broken studs, right rear side by side. just wondering if anyone else had them break on them under normal use. they were a clean break, no rust or corrosion. PS if you buy the wheel studs from dodge they were 25 bucks EACH! bum rubbin pricey!!

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have after market rims or the stock rims on? A driller/farmer I know from Saskatchewan had a set of american racing rims on his srw 3500 and he has broken quite a few studs. The last straw was when the front tire fell off while on his way to work. The stock rims went back on and the after market rims went to the bush.

"OH loose wheel where have you gone,

OH why do you leave me standing here??"

:d:d

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have after market rims or the stock rims on? A driller/farmer I know from Saskatchewan had a set of american racing rims on his srw 3500 and he has broken quite a few studs. The last straw was when the front tire fell off while on his way to work. The stock rims went back on and the after market rims went to the bush.

"OH loose wheel where have you gone,

OH why do you leave me standing here??"

:d:d
oooh oooh, i got one...

"ya picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.....

4 hungry children and a crop in the field..."

:d

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i went to rotate my tires today and had two broken studs, right rear side by side. Just wondering if anyone else had them break on them under normal use. They were a clean break, no rust or corrosion. Ps if you buy the wheel studs from dodge they were 25 bucks each! Bum rubbin pricey!!

not uncommon....... Get the studs from bumper to bumper or napa...... 1/3 the price. Might be good idea to change them all..... Just sayin'

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If aftermarket wheels a lot of people have had problems with them breaking if you still have those little clips, once removed no issues. I've had about 6 different aftermarket sets of rims without issues, and I still had the clips on for a while. NAPA I believe only carries front studs for some reason, I checked when I though I had one strip on me. I remove with impact, but always on by hand. Impacts are really hard on nuts and bolts. My impact galled a thread on my lower shock, cutting it out ain't fun. Not a big fan of impacts for the most part.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never tighten with the impact, i like to know that they are evenly torqued not 500ft lbs over on some!! to take them off i used the impact but thats the normal procedure. they are aftermarket aluminum rims but i have never had a problem before. what is odd is that both studs looked like they were sheared not broke because of a small crack or rust buildup. dunno wtf but will be changin the rest on that axle and prolly get a set of spares!!

sleddinfamily

Reaction score
2006 Dodge Mega Cab dually 120km on truck.Towing 28 foot car hauler coming back from California in the middle of nowhere front wheel sheared off at 80kmhr and left me with a $1000.00 tow bill to Barstow and 3 days looking for a set of studs and nuts.Thankfully I was able to control truck onto shoulder and no damage to truck other than bottom of brake caliber housing. Put the spare on and drove home. I now have a set of MOTO METAL Wheels for a dually for sale cheap.

Top Bottom