Ok, so you like your guns, but why do we have to put up with them.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a society, we should be growing up, not acting like children. I am getting a little tired of the "the government is just like Hitler argument". It is alarmist and not needed. What I can't figure out is why Canadians care about what Obama is trying to do down south. We have gun control here such as no automatic weapons, no clips larger than 10 rounds and no carrying handguns. The argument that the bad guys have them is mute. Gun crime in Canada is very rare, same as the UK but in the US is beyond belief. I am sorry that you can't feel safe without a side arm strapped to your ass. I have 4 grandsons that I want to see have a long and safe life. An armed society is not the way to go as more guns are just asking for more accidents. There is a time and place for guns and cities are not it. I am not a free love hippee that feels all gun should be banned, but why do we need armour piercing rounds? when is the last time you saw a deer wearing kevlar? The NRAs arguments are trite and full of outright lies and misdirections. If you can't kill your moose with less than 10 shots, perhaps you really shouldn't have a gun in the first place. We as Canadians are not prone to violence, but we will protect others who would have their freedom taken away by others.
I love the argument that cars cause more grief than guns do, that maybe true but now we are comparing apples to oranges. I am not suggesting that you not have guns, but if by controlling when and where you are to use them and minimizing the effects of said ammo, we can strive to make our country safer. Yes I am standing on a soap box, but letting the gun advocates have all the spotlight is saying that you fully agree with their stand. Please let the discussion begin. If all you want to do is slag my position then don't bother, I want intelligent thought, not alarmist rants.

Last edited:

96sherm

Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there... No matter what they take away, what laws they make, restrictions on normal law abiding citizens, criminals and sick/twisted individuals are always going to find a way to destroy their fellow man. If its not a gun it will be pipe bombs, or knives, something to fulfill their need to be a martre. Honestly I don't have a problem with everyone carrying a gun...Sometimes I think it would put an end to the riffraff petty BS that goes on unnoticed. Is the problem solved by taking everyones rights away because of individual idiots? NO!!!

However I do agree with reasonable restrictions, like Canada has. Long guns (hunting rifles) aren't an issue most times, and anyone legally aquiring a handgun has to be licensed to own one, and it has to be registered. That handgun law goes further to say that even if you want to move it from your LOCK BOX to the range, you're supposed to take out a permit for transport.

Think about this... If one of the solid minded teachers or young students had been carrying a gun in this last incident, the matter May have been much less tragic!!!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there... No matter what they take away, what laws they make, restrictions on normal law abiding citizens, criminals and sick/twisted individuals are always going to find a way to destroy their fellow man. If its not a gun it will be pipe bombs, or knives, something to fulfill their need to be a martre. Honestly I don't have a problem with everyone carrying a gun...Sometimes I think it would put an end to the riffraff petty BS that goes on unnoticed. Is the problem solved by taking everyones rights away because of individual idiots? NO!!!

However I do agree with reasonable restrictions, like Canada has. Long guns (hunting rifles) aren't an issue most times, and anyone legally aquiring a handgun has to be licensed to own one, and it has to be registered. That handgun law goes further to say that even if you want to move it from your LOCK BOX to the range, you're supposed to take out a permit for transport.

Think about this... If one of the solid minded teachers or young students had been carrying a gun in this last incident, the matter May have been much less tragic!!!

I like the idea of a permit for transport for handguns as well. The key point in your last point however is 'solid minded'. The average person does not have those instincts. I've seen videos online where someone will jump out of nowhere to scare a group or people, and 99% of the people jump, run, scream. Now, imagine those people with a gun in their hand...it's not going to end well. There is the 1% of people, and in these vids, they are generally fairly large guys that stand strong and usually end up punching the person doing the scaring in the face. It's the classic fight of flight response that we are all born with. It's instincts, and generally only people who have been trained for years for military, law enforcement, or fire fighting that will be able to control those instincts to take the appropriate actions.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Be it with Guns Knives or as mentioned earlier pipe bombs. Hell I've even heard that someone once used airliners to kill people. The fact of the matter is, if there is a will there is a way.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Be it with Guns Knives or as mentioned earlier pipe bombs. Hell I've even heard that someone once used airliners to kill people. The fact of the matter is, if there is a will there is a way.
Yes, we've all heard that so many times before, and I agree with it. However; Someone with a knife, or even a hunting rifle, isn't going to do nearly as much damage as someone with a MP5. I haven't seen a single person on any of these gun law threads say anything along the lines of, take all guns off the market. Though that seems to be what those who are on the side of gun freedom seem to be reading.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• gunposter1.jpg
    gunposter1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 404

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you have got to be kidding right, you want a stressed out teacher having a gun in a classroom with a couple kids acting up? give me a break, think about what your saying.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

again what is the purpose of a gun? seems to me it is to kill, unless you can think of something else

mick

Reaction score
I think we should be able to carry in the bush, I also think that we should be able to carry loaded on the quads

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very pretty pictures.....
Capable of firing off 800 rounds/min (fully automatic AR15), or as fast as you can pull your finger. In a quick test I was able to squeeze an 'air trigger' 45 times (the likely capacity of that clip in the picture) in 11.5 seconds. Lets say, that is fired into a crowd and 30 rounds hit something, with 3 rounds per target in a crowd. that is 10 people dead in 11.5 seconds.

Two swings with a hammer, that would be hard enough to kill someone would take roughly around the same amount of time.

Now, lets say someone enters a crowd and starts swinging a hammer at random people. They may manage to hit and kill 1 person, MAYBE 2 before they could be taken down by 2 or 3 other people. It's very easy to stop someone from swinging a hammer, not so hard to stop a bullet coming at you at 975 m/sec. I would put money on the fact that if someone went wild on someone with a hammer in a crowd, that people would jump in to stop it. If someone opened fire on a crowd, no one is rushing at the shooter to take him down.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm how come you get stats from two totally different areas, fbi should also have gun murders listed, unless you want to portray a particular idea. looks like your numbers are bullch!t to me. you saying only 323 gun murders in 2011, you must be using another country for comparison.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm how come you get stats from two totally different areas, fbi should also have gun murders listed, unless you want to portray a particular idea. looks like your numbers are bullch!t to me. you saying only 323 gun murders in 2011, you must be using another country for comparison.
It's likely a particular type of gun that was involved in 323 murders in 2011. Stats can be swayed to show anything you want.

Search dudes on Jane & Finch in Toronto on a Friday nigh. You think you will find more guns or hammers in their pockets??
I try avoid Toronto, and always avoid searching dudes on a Friday night.

However, 170 homicides involves guns in Canada in 2011.
There were 8552 homicides involving guns in the US in 2001. Of those 6193 were handguns, 323 were rifles, and 356 were shotguns. 1680 were an unknown firearms. They don't specify whether the rifles are hunting or semi-auto.
8552 is 50 times more than the 170 in Canada, with a population of only 10 times more.

In the US, it isn't that much more difficult to buy a gun than a hammer. They are usually sold about 2 aisles over.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's likely a particular type of gun that was involved in 323 murders in 2011. Stats can be swayed to show anything you want.

I try avoid Toronto, and always avoid searching dudes on a Friday night.

However, 170 homicides involves guns in Canada in 2011.
There were 8552 homicides involving guns in the US in 2001. Of those 6193 were handguns, 323 were rifles, and 356 were shotguns. 1680 were an unknown firearms. They don't specify whether the rifles are hunting or semi-auto.
8552 is 50 times more than the 170 in Canada, with a population of only 10 times more.

In the US, it isn't that much more difficult to buy a gun than a hammer. They are usually sold about 2 aisles over.

Yeah after Obama ignores everything that country stands for and signs the bill in himself so it doesn't go to congress, they will be sold to criminals behind 7/11, but I'm sure the crack heads will get back round checks first.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we should be able to carry in the bush, I also think that we should be able to carry loaded on the quads

you want to be able to carry guns while your loaded on a quad?

i sure as hell am against loaded guns on quads period. i can only think of more statistics coming of that. guess common sense definitely isn't that common, and i thought laws were useless.

Top Bottom