Oiler's letter by katz, addressed to oiler fans..............

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
[h=1]Letter from Daryl Katz to Oilers Fans[/h] Monday, 20.01.2014 / 3:00 PM / News

2K​

322​

Reddit

Email

2K​

Comment

Print

To Oilers Fans Everywhere:
We all thought this was going to be the year the Oilers turned the corner. Obviously, that hasn’t happened, and it hurts. It’s frustrating – for all of us. For our fans, for our players and staff, and for everyone in our community who shares a common bond around a game, a team and a city that we love.
I know this will almost certainly be the eighth consecutive year since we made the playoffs. I hate that fact as much as anyone, but the reality is that this is only year four of the rebuild that started when we drafted Taylor Hall. The good news, if you can call it that, is that other teams that committed to fundamental rebuilds went through the same kind of droughts over the same kind of time frames, or longer. That doesn’t make it fun for anyone; it just means we have to stay the course.
Yes, we hoped and expected to be better this year – there’s no question about that. But we’ve also been more active than any team I can think of in rebuilding our organization from bottom to top by supporting player development in OKC and Bakersfield, revamping our scouting organization, naming a new GM and a new coach, signing free agents like Justin Schultz, Boyd Gordon, Andrew Ference, Anton Belov and Ilya Bryzgalov, and trading for players like David Perron, and now Ben Scrivens and Matt Hendricks. And we’re not done.
But I can also tell you that we are not going to sacrifice the future by doing something short-term. Those days are over and they’re not coming back. If we’re going to rebuild, we want to do it right and we only want to do it once.
I hear a lot from fans about accountability, so let’s be clear. We are all accountable. That includes me, Kevin, Craig, Dallas, every player who wears our jersey, and every member of our staff. I know Kevin is the target of a lot of personal attacks right now, and that’s really unfortunate. Kevin is a big part of our organization, and it’s not just the Oilers that value his knowledge and perspective. He is consistently chosen, year after year, to play a leadership role with Hockey Canada. But when it comes down to it, this is Craig MacTavish’s team. He is the GM. He makes the calls, and he is accountable for building a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup -- year in and year out for years to come.
That’s our vision. We are committed to it -- and we’re confident that we are on the right track.
Our fans have been incredibly patient and supportive. At the same time, we know there’s a lot of frustration and we are asking you to hang in there while we fight through this and put the next few pieces of the team in place.
I’ll tell you this, despite everything, we all wear our Oilers colours with the same pride now as we ever have, and as we will when we’re back on top. We hope you’ll do the same.
We value our fans, we hear you, and we appreciate your support.
Daryl Katz

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That letter meant nothing. Bono should come out of hiding and actually FACE the music. Leave a video. Anything.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bunch of meaningless fluff from Katz. How in the world, Kevin Lowe has him convinced that he's some sort of hockey executive is beyond me? Katz is nothing but a jock sniff and that team is screwed until he sells them. No one in their right mind can tell me Katz would put up with upper management performing as poorly in his pharmacy conglomerate.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
luckily for Katz he's worth billions and he owns the team..... therefore I'm sure he gives a rats azz what any of us think..... the man worked his azz off and made enough money to buy is favorite sports team the same way a kid would buy hockey cards.... it's frustrating as a fan but sadly I think I've reached to point where I don't give a fawk anymore, it's becoming comical....

• Staff

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
luckily for katz he's worth billions and he owns the team..... Therefore i'm sure he gives a rats azz what any of us think..... The man worked his azz off and made enough money to buy is favorite sports team the same way a kid would buy hockey cards.... It's frustrating as a fan but sadly i think i've reached to point where i don't give a fawk anymore, it's becoming comical....
actually, i believe he inherited rexall from his parents...... I don't think he's ever had to work his azz off ;)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
yes he inherited a single "Value Drug Mart" store in Edmonton and it magically grew into a 2.6 Billion dollar empire with no effort at all.....:rolleyes:

actually, i believe he inherited rexall from his parents...... I don't think he's ever had to work his azz off ;)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=2]Daryl Katz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Career[][/h]After school, he worked for a time at the law firm, Shoctor, Mousseau and Starkman,[SUP][3][/SUP] and then started his own practice focusing on corporate and franchise law.[SUP][4][/SUP] In 1991, in a partnership with his father, Katz paid $300,000 for the Canadian rights to the U.S.-based Medicine Shoppe drugstore franchise which had over 1,000 stores in the USA.[SUP][4][/SUP] In 1992, they opened the first Medicine Shoppe store[SUP][4][/SUP] and founded the which was to become the holding company for the group. In 1996, Katz purchased the storied but fading Rexall drugstore chain in Canada which at the time, only consisted of several dozen stores.[SUP][4][/SUP] The business grew and by 1998, the Katz Group consisted of 80 Rexall stores, 30 Medicine Shoppe outlets, and a few smaller independent retailers.[SUP][4][/SUP] In 1997, he purchased the Ontario-based, 143-store Pharma Plus drug store chain from the supermarket operator for $100 million.[SUP][4][/SUP]
In 1999 he ventured into the U.S. with the purchase of the money-losing, $300 million in sales, Minnesota-based Snyders Drug Store chain; in 2001, he purchased the U.S.-based big-box discount chain.[SUP][4][/SUP] His foray into the U.S. was not without failure: the Snyder's chain filed for bankruptcy in 2003 and its 25 stores were sold to .[SUP][4][/SUP] In 2004, Katz purchased the naming rights for ten years to the new $45-million , a 12,500-seat tennis and entertainment complex on the campus of York University.[SUP][4][/SUP] In January 2012, he sold Drug Trading Co. and Medicine Shoppe Canada to the U.S.-based drug distributor for $1.2 billion. The sale represented about 10 per cent of the Katz Group's assets, shrinking the group's network of corporate-owned and franchised stores to 450 Rexall-branded outlets (down from its peak of 2,000 stores).[SUP][4][/SUP]

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tier-2 fan checking in here guys. If there's one I know about winning....... Whoops, scratch that rant. Here's the rant I was looking for: Eakins is hired and is given 'ready-made equipment' in Bucky and Steve Smith as assistant coaches - those are not his guys/choice. They are Kevin Lowes choice due to his boys club mentality/arrogance/loyalty. With that move I cant say Kevin Lowe is genuinely setting Eakin up for as much success as he could have. Right now there is no one in that room that is willing to stand up, get mad about losing and challenge the rest of team (read: lack of leadership). The one guy we did have who would speak up, we traded away (Smid) Katz speaks of accountability - where is it?? Someone above asked if he would accept losses in his business year over year..... All I have seen is Kevin Lowe keep on insulating himself by pointing at the head coaches he has hired (Renny, Kruger and at the end of this year Eakin) And don't forget he gave himself a promotion after the Pronger debacle. Who's responsibility is this mess at the end of the day?? Kevin Lowe and Mac-T are getting experience in hockey op's by making their mistakes and learning their lessons at the hands of our team. They are going to take this experience and knowledge somewhere else once they do get fired (and they will) and laugh about this time in history. Hell, they may even toast Katz and the Oilers for letting them gain all this experience and mistake learning. Enough's enough. I think the re-build needs to turn its attention to management. My heart is gone as far as getting excited to watch ANY oiler game this year and im truly sincerely saddened. To Katz's letter, I say: "RETURN TO SENDER" Olympic hockey is around the corner oilers fans. Something we can ALL rally around and is positive. Whoops, forgot Kevin Lowe's part of that too..... Im out

Top Bottom