oil using quad

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built top end 2006 700 king, gone out twice for short rides. Less than a tank of fuel combined. My buddies say that they can not see any smoke and it is not leaking anywhere, but used or lost 1 liter of oil. I notice around the chrome exhaust part a black hard plastic like substance around the tail pipe. Must be the oil. It breaks off like plastic. Is this break in or is there some thing else wrong with my job. New piston, rings and the guy just diamond cut the cylinder, he said the coating was still good. Any suggestions! :beer::confused::mad:

Last edited:

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Kinda wierd that its dropping the oil level, without leaking or burning off the oil.
Dont u mean diamond honed the cylinder? There is only about .003" of electro plating on that cyl. then it turns to aluminum. i hope it wasnt cut.

Did u fully inspect motor(base gaskets location, head gasket location, valve cover location?

What does ur plug look like?

How much oil was needed when u first initially filled the case w oil to do ur first start?

Does it puff a little blue when u first start the motor?(Valve stem seals) or at mid throttle does it puff?

What was ur compression reading after the rebuild?

Have u chek'd ur coolant for oil contamination?

Did u install the rings correctly, there's a little difference in 1st and 2nd ring, the 1st ring will have a noticable shape to it( will have a lip on outer edge, only on the top side, 2nd ring will have a "RN" mark that will have to face up. Also did u check to see if the spacer ends for oil rings where not overlapped during installation?
Did u use a service manual for the rebuild or have u done lots?
Just sumthin to chew on, and think about.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is my first quad engine and I used the serice manual , but have done snowmobile and car and truck engines with no issuses. I notice the different rings and there set up and the end gap of rings were good. I didn't check the compression yet, to exited to go riding. I haven't notice and oil in cooliant. I havent noticed any puff of blue, the only thing I notice was what looked like melted plastic around the chrome part of the exhaust. I could brake it off, it was that hard, but nothing in the actual tail pipe. I will check the plug next thanks

Top Bottom