Oil Pump Hose Inspection

RyanSparrow

Reaction score
YES My brothers engine blew after 4 hours of use due to pinched oil line. I checked mine (one VIN number apart) and it looks good.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that the oil injection cap not venting and blowing up motors is a bigger issue. I've seen 4 in the past 10 days or so that took out motors due to faulty oil tank cap.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that the oil injection cap not venting and blowing up motors is a bigger issue. I've seen 4 in the past 10 days or so that took out motors due to faulty oil tank cap.

Pull off the oil cap. Have a look at the center part of it, there should be a 1/16th of an inch breather hole on the side of it. My dealer told me to check it. I could not breath through the top side of mine. After enlargening the hole it would vent no problem.

rockydaug

Reaction score
Was just going through the owner's manual checking on how to find the playback feature and read in the oil filling section that Polaris says not to fill the oil level into the bottle neck, the oil blocks off the vent and causes an air bubble in the line. I overfilled mine, went for a ride and checked the cap, it was plugged with oil, blew it out and so far okay:eek:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull off the oil cap. Have a look at the center part of it, there should be a 1/16th of an inch breather hole on the side of it. My dealer told me to check it. I could not breath through the top side of mine. After enlargening the hole it would vent no problem.

Mine doesn't have a hole on the side. Just in the center with a white plastic pin sticking through. If I hold it perfectly level I can blow through it. Mine may be a different style of cap? :confused:

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have a hole on the side. Just in the center with a white plastic pin sticking through. If I hold it perfectly level I can blow through it. Mine may be a different style of cap? :confused:

I will try and get a picture, however my sled is at the lake and it won't until after Christmas.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I just through this together on my AutoCad. Please don't laugh at my sketch. If you look close you should be able to see an indentation at the point where this hole should be.

Attachments

• Gas Cap.pdf
    94.4 KB · Views: 212

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just through this together on my AutoCad. Please don't laugh at my sketch. If you look close you should be able to see an indentation at the point where this hole should be.

I'm a mechanical engineer and I can say I've seen much worse. ;) I'll take another look at mine when I get home, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any holes on the side. I'll look for a indentation. Thanks for your help.:beer:

WesG

Reaction score
Tried my cap out and it would only vent a tiny bit if perfectly verticle. Drilled the hole that Kidder17 was showing and it vents alot more and at more of an angle. Also tried to blow through it upside down like if you rolled over and it still seals with the new hole so the cap should not leak (Not saying for everyone to do this, maybe check with your dealer first, but it is an option). My oil lines were ok so I left them. Also checked for the oil line rubbing on the chassis right where it comes out of the tank and that was ok as well. Over 7 hours on mine now and it is awesome :d Best chassis I have ever been on. I have never rode a sled that excells at everything like this pro does. The only place where I can see it coming up a bit short might be long WOT climbs in big open places(I have to run the ethanol plug and fuel so I'm giving up abit of hp)... Not my favorite riding anyways so I don't much care.

Cowboy

Reaction score
I called the manufacturer of the cap and was informed the cap is designed too prevent leakage in a case where the sled is dumped, hence the cap only vent in the horizontal up to 20 degrees.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Careful about drilling the hole. I drilled a hole in the side of my cap and it would vent in any position. I had to patch it up to get the cap to vent properly again. Still a bit restrictive but it works.

WesG

Reaction score
Put two rides on with the hole drilled in the cap. Both rides had a tiny bit of oil mess on the black plastic that holds the cdi where the little catch lip is around the oil cap. Must let a small amount of oil pass through when its on a steep angle. Sealed the hole back up and going to run it stock again. There was not enough mess to get down to the belt/clutches but I don't want it getting there :nono: I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DRILLING THE HOLE. Just check your cap to see if it vents when almost vertical. Also noticed the spark plug caps were being lifted up by the manner that they were zip-tied to the exhaust bellows hoses. Changed that around so that the plug caps are not being lifted off anymore. Both of my caps were almost off the plugs when I checked. Also noticed that the air bubble in the oil line right where it leaves the tank was back. Tipped the sled on its side and bled it back into the oil tank again... Checked it today and it is still gone but I have not rode it again. Unsure how to prevent that from coming back... Thinking maybe sticking something under the oil tank so it is on a small angle to aid the air escaping into the tank.

dschwindt

Reaction score
Checked my cap today as well and it is the cap with the hole in the center of the cap not the side. blew through it and it also vented up to a 20 degree angle then stopped. Hoses looked good hope for the best.

farmer4ever

Reaction score
My hole is also in the center of the cap and seems OK. I checked my lines and all appears to be well there too. Rode 135 miles over Christmas and so far so good! Absolutely LOVE the sled!:d

Kashworth

Reaction score
Yeah no worries here, I drilled my oil cap like the diagram showed and had it on its side and vertical and no mess at all. I had the dealer check out the oil lines as they asked me to bring in the PRO RMK for a 200 mile inspection and everything passed except my high beams. I was told one of the wires rubbed through on the lights which caused a fault on the high beam.

dschwindt

Reaction score
My dealer also informed me when you fill the oil rattle the cap to make sure it rattles and the bell check is not stuck this will cause the no flow.

rockydaug

Reaction score
I have been keeping an eye on the injection system, only filing the oil tank 3/4 full, cleaning the oil cap daily. Got home today after a short ride, and found air bubbles in the line, going to bleed it tomorrow and start pre-mixing the fuel.:nono:

Top Bottom