-remove oil tank
-order a blockoff plate/gasket
-plug some fittings
-create a breather tube
-fill the cavity with oil and bleed

its alot easier to do with the motor out

vtlbill

Reaction score
Thanks, I have lots of time to do this before the snow's here. I've read 5 lbs plus weight savings? I run a 50 : 1 mix in my two stroke bikes, is this what I should run in the sleds too?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-remove oil tank
-order a blockoff plate/gasket
-plug some fittings
-create a breather tube
-fill the cavity with oil and bleed

its alot easier to do with the motor out

You can do it this way or you can also get a shorty rotary valve cover like the one from crankshop which eliminates the oil injection and gives you a clean mount.

This will also move the carbs closer to the motor for better throttle response as well, Split Second also makes these, local dealer and won't have to pay brokerage and exchange on the US $$$. You will have to order carb boots to adapt to the plate but let me know if you go this route and I can probably help find the right part # for you from Kimpex (had to go through this myself).

The tube can be connected between the upper and lower oil ports on the back of the motor, fill the tube about 3/4 full and add oil as necessary. Big time oil use (refilling from empty every ride) means the main seals are going. Let me know if you need pics, I have a motor on the bench right now with the same setup that I can take pics of. All you need for a backup is a small 100 ml bottle of oil just in case. Be aware that if you premix and you ride with guys that don't......you won't be able to siphon large amounts of fuel if you run out. :)

Really simple to do on the 670's. Premix should be 35:1 depending on oil and jetting. I run 35:1 and one range hotter on the plugs (BR8's instead of BR9's).

vtlbill

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Any pictures would be great. I will be doing this swap shortly.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will get you a pic of my 740 (670 big bore) I did'nt like not really knowing how much oil was in the bypass hose so I put a "T" fitting with a clear hose coming up to a removable cap. That way I can see if it goes down and add oil with no mess. I was told it should use a little oil as it has a oil passage to the crank? if I remember right? Modman will know where the oil goes. I just know it goes somewhere.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats wrong with oil injection? why do you guys take it off ....i personally love oil injection and will never go back to pre-mixing. Is failure common on certain sleds or when you start modding heavy oil premix isint reliable?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats wrong with oil injection? why do you guys take it off ....i personally love oil injection and will never go back to pre-mixing. Is failure common on certain sleds or when you start modding heavy oil premix isint reliable?

Oil premix is 100% reliable - only variable in the equation is the operator. If you forget the oil....well, you know the rest. Oil pump failures not really common but if you don't want to take the chance, premix is the only solution. That or buy a 4 stroke. But no oil pump to fail and only carry as much oil as you need for the gas you take. Also makes things much more open on the back of the motor. Buddy is going through some oil troubles on his 800 and he might have saved himself a burn down if he had switched to premix sooner.

Don't have to bleed the system each time you take the motor out either...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any pics of your setups would be awesome. buddies sled has it deleted and i am thinking of doing to mine. especially for the weight. on my friends sled he wants to put something so it is easy to add as well so pics would be awesome. we took out the gear on the shaft after he bought the sled, as a result of low/no oil. taking it to deano670 to get rotary timed in a couple weeks would like to have all other stuff done by then.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear - Deano knows his stuff for sure. Will get some pics up tonight for you guys.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for anwsering my questions i can see where your commin from ....I still think i will be sticking with my oil injection :d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See pics attached. Just FYI - these pics are two separate motors in my shop but set up is the same on both. Tube goes from top oil inlet to bottom oil inlet on motor (fixed steel hose adapters attached to crankcase). Get a shorty RV cover and it cleans up back of motor nicely. Fill tube about 3/4 full to allow for some expansion and then top up as required.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 250

vtlbill

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I would think that I might be able to source out that RV cover and boots easy enough. I should find some info at the sled show this weekend too.

Top Bottom