Oil in air box 2005 500 EFI Polaris

Reaction score
My quad is a 2005 500 EFI Polaris. Recently I took my air filter out to clean it and found a fair amount of oil in the air filter box. Not a spray but an actual pool of oil. I looked at my oil level and it was down but not very much. There seemed to be a fair bit of oil in the box. I cleaned it out and have been for several rides and there is no problems. I just found out a friend of mine just had the same thing happen to him with his Polaris. Any ideas folks as to what is going on?

stealth500

Reaction score
did you roll it or stand it up on end oil will run out of the crank case into the air box

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its a pretty normal thing. the above will cause it to happen. its just that the crankcase vents into the airbox.

Reaction score
Yes I did roll it. I got it up really quick but I never thought to check the airbox as I didn't know the vent was routed into the airbox. Thanks for the help.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Don, my 300CC Hawkeye does it also. Caused usually by high vacuum in carb box pulling in oil through the breather. A run, under load, at higher rpm & low forward speed is usually when it occurs.

Top Bottom