Official Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2020/21

WarrenA

Reaction score
Would like to head out tomorrow from Edmonton just wondering if the road is open from long view and where you guys are saying head to Etherington or cataract before we make the drive !

jazz 111

Reaction score
Hey Warren,
Good to go when you get to Longview go west I believe it's HWY 541 first right at the bottom of the hill do not go into town you will have passed the intersection. Then to HWY 940 I think?? you can't miss the turn you will see gates are closed ahead on the highway turn left it will take you to Etherington staging area or if you go further south it will take you to Cataract creek staging area I believe it takes about 45 minutes from long view to Etherington.
Just to let you know they got a dump of snow you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any word on the lots? I guess if they haven't been plowed, then hopefully they firmed up a bit with the colder weather. Heading there tomorrow regardless haha. Guess we'll see!

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would like to head out tomorrow from Edmonton just wondering if the road is open from long view and where you guys are saying head to Etherington or cataract before we make the drive !

Baffles me why someone would travel all the way from Edmonton, just to go to the “highwood” area...?
Don’t get me wrong... I’m not saying you shouldn’t go, it’s just not what some people would expect for mountain riding if they’ve been use to Vale/McBride...

Isn’t there something closer to you? Assuming you’re wanting to stay in AB?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baffles me why someone would travel all the way from Edmonton, just to go to the “highwood” area...?
Don’t get me wrong... I’m not saying you shouldn’t go, it’s just not what some people would expect for mountain riding if they’ve been use to Vale/McBride...

Isn’t there something closer to you? Assuming you’re wanting to stay in AB?
My thoughts to MP. I wouldn't make a 9 hour round trip to ride Cataract if it was the only place left to ride. A nice place for a great groomed trail ride with the kids but I sure wouldn't pull into a meadow with 3 inch paddles this time of the year for sure.

Thejoe

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you would be disappointed. We went again on Sunday and I have to say I am surprised how quickly it declined from our last trip on Tuesday after the dump. 80% of the trails we rode were whooped out and 99% of the optional, slightly off trail stuff, was tracked out. We were very disappointed and worn out from the rough trails. Still better than sitting on the couch but far from what we were hoping for.

Hey Warren,
Good to go when you get to Longview go west I believe it's HWY 541 first right at the bottom of the hill do not go into town you will have passed the intersection. Then to HWY 940 I think?? you can't miss the turn you will see gates are closed ahead on the highway turn left it will take you to Etherington staging area or if you go further south it will take you to Cataract creek staging area I believe it takes about 45 minutes from long view to Etherington.
Just to let you know they got a dump of snow you will not be disappointed.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To all, Cataract is primarily a trails system, unless you “know where to go”. There are a few off-trail places close to the trails themselves, but they get tracked up fast. Cataract is no BC Powder, do not have visions of that. All that said, groomer operator said he has never before seen the volume of sleds that cataract is seeing right now. The snow that came is packed down and “brapped” down to gravel in places, no doubt from guys thinking the proper way to take of from a dead stop is to gun their engine and spin their track “to hook up”. Not the thing to do at Cataract, or not at least until we get more snow than the initial first dump of the year. The groomer operator only flattened and widened the trails on the south side of the system, dealing with lots of large drifts and then flattening them down with the packer bar and our roller-packer. Never went to the north side/Etherington as did nor have enough time to, and was advised that the snow level was overall lower, and did not want to jeopardize the grouser bars/tracks.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea definitely need another few feet in there. Tread lightly in the cutblocks.

Trails were surprisingly good today. Some whoops but not bad at all with the number of sleds rippin.

Had a decent ride, found some snow and met some new riders. Can't complain about bluebird days really.
Cold af in the morning though.

Last edited:

WarrenA

Reaction score
Did not end up going just thinking of spots to stay in Alberta as we have zero snow around Edmonton!went out by rocky found some decent snow!

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates from Cataract? Have they started grooming, have the parking lots been cleared from the last storm yet? My wife wee thinking of heading there for a ride on Saturday.

cammont

Reaction score
Any updates from Cataract? Have they started grooming, have the parking lots been cleared from the last storm yet? My wife wee thinking of heading there for a ride on Saturday.

About 3 posts up Scott provided an update.

Reaction score
Solo rider here from Okotoks. Anyone headed to Cataract tomorrow or through the weekend? Was out riding on Monday and great conditions. Wouldn't mind grouping up for a ride with others.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the groomer what great job on the trails !!!Took some newbies out today and they had a great time.People please support the club now more than ever.

cammont

Reaction score

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are doing some snowmobile groomer training this weekend/Sunday. The trails will not be done in whole, but we will increase our grooming volunteers to be able to do more frequent grooming. Our focus of the training will be the main trails out of Etherington.

Top Bottom