OEM belts vs Aftermarket belts

Mad Mike

Reaction score
I am fairly new to sledding. Started riding a buddy's polaris 600 switchback last year and bought almost the identical asked only1 year newer this year. Had to purchase a new belt last year for his sled at around a hundred bucks. Just called to pick up a new belt for mine and now they want around 160. Is there any difference between the manufactures and the after market belts? :confused:

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am fairly new to sledding. Started riding a buddy's polaris 600 switchback last year and bought almost the identical asked only1 year newer this year. Had to purchase a new belt last year for his sled at around a hundred bucks. Just called to pick up a new belt for mine and now they want around 160. Is there any difference between the manufactures and the after market belts?

You will hear both responses on this subject: Yes and no. Lots of guys have blown aftermarket belts, and swear they are junk. Lots of guys have run them with success and so you will hear they are good. I had good luck with aftermarket belts. They are made to the same spec in most cases as OEMs. Usually by belt companies who specialize in belts. No way around it but to try one yourself and see what happens. Pricing on OEM belts seems to be consistent across Cat, Doo and Poo, they all want an arm and leg for one. They are a consumable item on a sled and required for operation so there's got to be a mark up on them....

Yammy makes a belt for $80 and it will outlast basically all of the others, too bad they didnt make them to fit all sleds.

Some good belt practices are as follows regardless of which type you buy, OEM or aftermarket - MAKE SURE CLUTCHES ARE ALIGNED. Probably the biggest thing you can do. Ensure clutches are staying cool when running (venting or otherwise). Heat is a huge killer of belts. Your clutches should be touchable after riding, or only slightly warm. If they are so hot you can't touch them, then you have to think they are transferring that heat to your belt and causing transfer power loss and excess belt wear. Wash all belts with soapy water before use. Its really good if you can break them in: Run them for 20 kms at an easy pace, stop a couple times along the way and let them cool down. This allows the belt to get some heat in it and cool down a few times, it seems to help with longevity. Take it off and put it in your spare belt holder. Lots of mountain guys run them up the trail to the alpine on the first trip, then take them off. Same idea.

Top Bottom