Octane pops up on speedo???

Sledzepplin

Reaction score
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sled runs great but after long pulls OCTANE flashes on speedo with little wrench and sled runs really boggy. I can shut the machine off and will reset itself and will run good if I don t do any long pulls. Then same thing will happen Especially after long hill climbs the octane light will come back on. It sounds very odd like it goes into limp mode or something Not like when it bogs out because of no air. The sled s a 2011 m8 It did that on premium and reg fuel. I gave er a splash of av gas and that seemed to smarten it up but not sure if I should do that all the time. The sleds running a stage 2 BMP clutch kit with power commander 5 and also got the auto tuner still installed to adjust trims. Sleds map was built on the DYNO

Sledzepplin

Reaction score
All ceramic coated piping. Mbrp can I was just runnin at 2900 elevation around Edmonton here today but it was doing it at 7000 as well in vallemount

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your hitting the deto sensor. Not sure why but you can't hit it to many times or boom. Did you buy it used. Are you sure your sled is stock?

Sledzepplin

Reaction score
Your hitting the deto sensor. Not sure why but you can't hit it to many times or boom. Did you buy it used. Are you sure your sled is stock?

Yes I bought it used. No it's not stock it's got a BMP stage 2 clutch kit with a high alt head BMP y pipe mid pipe and mbrp can power commander 5 with a tune that was built on a DYNO I had it DYNO d after I bought it. Just accepted my first round of trims off the auto tuner It's on a 5 % learn suggested trim Any ideas why?? Seems to do it when it's real cold. I ran about 10 little av gas mixed in with a 3/4 tank last ride up in the hills and seemed to run good but it was warmer that second day and didn't of as much climbing Completely puzzled. It pulls hard till that deto sensor kicks in and the octane light comes on

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it has higher compression head and req's more octane. That's what is sounds like.

Sledzepplin

Reaction score
Hmm far as I know we never put the timing key advance in to run higher octane fuel but mayb. **** really don't wanna blow it up. Wife will kill me this time hahaha. Gotta be a way to dial this thing in. I figured getting er dynoed wAs gonna cure all my worries but just created more questions. I'm gonna just try and av gas mix after I phone DYNO guy Tom. Any suggestions on mixing fuel. I ll call bikeman techs too and c if they run into this problems with these kits. Sled pulls hard though tons of low end. Ski s never touch the ground!!

Top Bottom