Noob picking up new summit x t3 163 in one sleep

LOKENSTEIN

Reaction score
Picking up my new sled tomorow and wondering what kind of aftermarket parts would be good to consider throwing on it. Also looking for some sled buddies to go out with. I'm brand new to the sport but wanted to buy something that suits the direction I want to go with it which is up big hills with lots of powder.

LOKENSTEIN

Reaction score
That's kind of what I figured. Wasn't planning on doing a whole bunch of performance stuff but I was considering a different bumper and exhaust.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's kind of what I figured. Wasn't planning on doing a whole bunch of performance stuff but I was considering a different bumper and exhaust.

The advantage of being new is as you wreck bumpers and bend rails or handlebars. Trash misc bolt on pieces you can buy aftermarket replacement parts. By the time you've figured out sledding you will have a pimp ride. Please get trained and ride with experienced trained people if possible. Can you imagine being under the snow and thinking now who in my group knows how to use a probe and beacon. Scary thought **** happens fast and goes bad faster. Be prepared. Enjoy your new sled. As far as mods. Concentrate on storage. Folding saws. Ropes, tools, and water, tuck tape. Hack saw blade. Spare shovel. Zip ties. 21 mm wrench to remove the primary if you blow a belt and cords get caught up In the ring gear. There's more you will find over time

DTMVTEC

Reaction score
Grip n Rip. For sure.
Skid plate.

I'm same as you. Newb and got my T3 on sat. Built it strong and practical.

Aswell as above I got front and rear bumpers.
Rail stiffeners.
Pre filter kit.
Rack and back to carry essentials mentioned above.

AST1 a must at least.

AST2 Defo recommended. I'm booking my ast2 real soon.

24V E30

Reaction score
I'm new to this sport as well, have around 8 days of mountain riding under my belt. Concentrate your money on GOOD riding gear it makes a huge difference, ski/snowboard gear does not cut it I wore it for a while and after a day of digging your self out and what ever else your soaked and it doesn't dry completely over night either. Do your AST1 and having beacon, shovel and probe Is a must along with a avy bag. Don't worry about modding your sled just learn how to ride it first because the first few days the sled will ride you lol. Watching videos like schooled 1 2 3 will help a lot as well to just understand how to handle your sled and just to see how capable these things are. There's lots to learn as you will find out as you go.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly as the guys above are saying. Spend your time and money learning the etiquette of snowmobiling and take an AST1 course so you make smart decisions right from the start, a lot can go wrong out there and when it does it happens quick and with no mercy. Instead of mods buy good quality safety gear and riding gear. You will learn the issues and things you don't like about your machine the more you ride it. Be humble out there and your fellow riders will welcome you and show you the ropes.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly what these guys are saying. ^^

Dont touch a thing on your sled for now. Get avalanche gear, avalanche training, and good riding gear. That is a monster of a sled to start with.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And like others have said, make sure you ride with guys that ride smart. Man, looking back on some of the guys I used to go with......it is kind of scary. No training, alot of bad decisions, booze, etc. Pretty sure I wouldnt have made it off the hill if something ever happened.

LOKENSTEIN

Reaction score
Thanks fellas, I did buy all the all the necessary avalanche gear as well as the riding gear at the sled expo in edmonton not too long ago. Bought the angel wing air bags and Klim riding gear. It's mostly the little things I was talking about. Don't want to be short a tool or this or that u know. I still have to research some avalanche courses in or around red deer but I absolutely will be doing one. I don't think it would be fair to my family not to! Thanks to the people who mentioned the videos. Now it's just a matter of who's going where and when and do they mind if I tag along. Super stoked!!

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The issue with the new sleds is they have the ability to take riders (experienced or not) to places they shouldn't be. This could be an especially big problem for someone with less experience and a lack of understanding of snow conditions and risk! The same sled would have cost thousands more and would have been a custom build just a few years ago.

Having the right gear and the knowledge to use it is a great start. Make sure you know your limitations, don't drink on the hill (plenty of time for that in the hot tub), sled with guys that have experience or find a good guide. Welcome to the sport.

Top Bottom