No start 1990 big bear

boone258

Reaction score
I have tried everything to get this quad to start and no go. It went from running awesome to occasionally to not at all. I've had the carb off several times, replaced the battery checked the valve clearance all the wiring ect. At first it would start using the starter, then would only start using the pull cord even tho the starter turned the engine over good. Sometimes has spark and then not. Frustrated and should be a simple fix if i knew the problem...any ideas.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those years would have the charge coils on the stator get weak, you could start them with the recoil but the e-start wouldnt crank quick enough....the only way to test is is with a peak voltage tester on the charge coil wires while cranking it, a resistance check will not be good enough because they usually will be within spec with that test and fail the peak voltage test

boone258

Reaction score
Yes it does have a cdi and the resistance test on the stator checked..assumed it was ok. Will try peak voltage test. And i did put a brand new ignition coil on it but didn't change anything. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably the stator you can get a cheap replacement at Ricky stator online but test it first

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom