no alternative starting for nytro

slederite

Reaction score
This week end was up on the renshaw riding my 08 nytro mtx. Starter on the sled piled up and no way to start machine aside from using the ignition and starter. To pull starter and replace the engine has to be loosened off motor mounts and shifted. Not a very user friendly back country machine. Aside from the reliability of the motor I am starting to wonder what the other benefits of this machine are!!!!! Possibly that my sled may get to have a heli ride before i do! I understand the risks with backcountry riding, but shouldn't a backcountry machine have a alternative way to start in case of something like this happening.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
This week end was up on the renshaw riding my 08 nytro mtx. Starter on the sled piled up and no way to start machine aside from using the ignition and starter. To pull starter and replace the engine has to be loosened off motor mounts and shifted. Not a very user friendly back country machine. Aside from the reliability of the motor I am starting to wonder what the other benefits of this machine are!!!!! Possibly that my sled may get to have a heli ride before i do! I understand the risks with backcountry riding, but shouldn't a backcountry machine have a alternative way to start in case of something like this happening.

You would think so .......... probably why that have built in booster cables lol.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wrap the end of a 20 foot rope around the clutch.......tie it to your budies back bumper and tell he to drive away from you..........or just take a few red bulls and grab the clutch a twist start it! lol

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I carry booster cables with me.........

slederite

Reaction score
we could not boost it as the starter is piled up! And we did try the rope around the clutch and then tied to another sled. No fn go. This four stroke has cost as much as a two stroke in repairs and only 2500 kms on it.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Yup if I'm really toasted i wouldn't expect a buddy to pull my heavy apex ass out of the woods ........... chopper it is. It's worth the risk to enjoy that turbo power!!! :beer::d:beer:

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
if your sled was warm they will start with a rope on the clutch.......sure you weren't pulling it backwards.

Probly not the starter either.......likely the starter solenoid......and you can jump those quite easily.

I have 14000k on mine.....1 solenoid replaced.

Safe sledding.......in July :)

RS

Gunnerthesnowman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your sled was warm they will start with a rope on the clutch.......sure you weren't pulling it backwards.

Probly not the starter either.......likely the starter solenoid......and you can jump those quite easily.

I have 14000k on mine.....1 solenoid replaced.

Safe sledding.......in July :)

RS

Yes a rope on the clutch does work , sled was warm (apex), pulled over very easy , work very well .

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes a rope on the clutch does work , sled was warm (apex), pulled over very easy , work very well .

Just thought I would bring this up again as I was with him when the sled wouldn't start. I was told with an Apex yes it would pull start and I have seen this, but not the Nitro. The start was the problem not the solenoid. So I would still like to know if it is possible to pull start a Nitro?

Coxy

Reaction score
Yes it is. Saw a turbo Pro used to pull start a TNytro a few weeks back, worked slick! If the starter/gears piled up and locked everything up solid then you'd be out of luck.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. Saw a turbo Pro used to pull start a TNytro a few weeks back, worked slick! If the starter/gears piled up and locked everything up solid then you'd be out of luck.

His new starter is working much better! :D

Top Bottom