News Story: Backcountry Snowmobilers Could Lose Their Rides

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
i heard the idea on snowest of appointing someone to be a spokesman for all snowmobilers. someone well known and responsible. mainly alberta and bc. maybe an alliance that every sledder donates to that covers all areas. i dont know just an idea.

Isn't that what Les Austin or Roger Frost is supposed to do for the BCSF members. Since the passing of Terry Watt, I do't know about ABCSnow.

We pay big bucks to those organizations and they say how much they doo but what doo they really doo for the grass roots sledders? They are in constant battle with caribou closures and don't seem to make any progress. They seem to lay back and wait until the dust settles before they make a statement and then it appears that when the dust does settle they forget about their statement or position.

Only in BC will you find two provincial organizations representing the grass roots and neither really working for the issues that affect the grass roots. Go figure....

So going back to Maxwell's statement about appointing someone well known and responsible is a great idea. I can just see the two provincial organizations bad mouthing and stick handling behind closed doors....but maybe that is what needs to be done.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard the idea on snowest of appointing someone to be a spokesman for all snowmobilers. someone well known and responsible. mainly alberta and bc. maybe an alliance that every sledder donates to that covers all areas. i dont know just an idea.

I'd be into donating for the cause, so long as we see them meeting the committment. But it really needs to be chosen by the sledders majority from all sites and groups - I'd be embarrased to be a sledder if we picked the "OT" of Canada from Snowest to represent us.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The passing of Terry Watt was a tragedy and a enourmous loss to ABC, but it is still in excellent shape with good caring people in control. They may not be spouting off to the media, but are hard at work behind the scenes, where it matters, working on the future of our sport in relation to avalanche safety, which will be the future or end of our sport. ABC has also recently donated 5000 to the CAC for avalanche eductation and has huge plans in draft form for continued support to the CAC. And just for the record, ABC had written and past off a reply to Mr.Krueger the very next day after those statements were released. Please guys, these clubs are important and run by VOLUNTEERS, lets keep it positive. ABC tactics are not front and center with the media, but where it counts, behind the scenes with direct converstations and negotiations with the regulators and politicians.

I cannot speak for the BCSF as I am not a member, but am sure they are hard at it as well. One way to find out what these clubs are doing is by simply sending an email.

See you on the hill !

motrhed

Reaction score
This is not a new issue, it has been happening for years in all different sports, recreational activities, and life in general. The government is like a windsock, it will shift to satisfy the wants of the voters and/or windiest group, unfortunately that group is not the fragmented off-road/snowmobiling community. The groups that are successful in keeping their passions alive are the ones that work together in an alliance against the government or aggressor (armies are historically more successful than an individual). Currently, closures and restrictions are being placed or threatened by government on snowmobilers, ATVers, and off-road motorcycles. The government will succeed in restricting our past-times if a unified front is not formed to oppose them. The AOHVA, ASA, BCSF, ABC, etc are each working to protect their members rights, but it could be beneficial for all to have a unifying voice with a strong following to lobby the governments (provincial and federal) for our rights. If you want to protect your rights, join a club or multiple clubs that support your hobby(s) and encourage each club to join it's provincial equivalent. The only way to get our voices heard, is to be louder than the granola crunching tree-hugg'in liberals that make our lives less free!

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you ask me the only way this will ever go away is if we stop having people die in avys caused by neglegence,the general public is gettin tired of hearing another sledder dies in avy,I myself a sledder for 18 year am also tired of comin home from a ride to hear on the news of another sensles death because someone didnt heed the warnings,its depressing,so untill we can have a year without any nothin we do off the mountain will change anything.I understand avys happen by themselves,its nature but most deaths are from peoples lack of knowledge or there I dont care attitude.Yes skiers are in the same boat but thats there battle not ours,so untill we can prove to responsible backcountry user the rules and regulations will keep coming in one form or another,just my opinion so dont lash out.:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....And just for the record, ABC had written and past off a reply to Mr.Krueger the very next day after those statements were released. .....

Depsnolvr - that is amazing news for sledders!! Congrats! I guess my next question is: why did we not hear about it until now though? If someone is a member of the ABCsnow council and has insight into the workings of what's going on and demonstrating that they are standing up for sledders - where do I sign up and/or make a donation to that organization/cause? (Fecious question - I know I can sign up on the ABCsnow website) - I want to support the groups that are fighting back for sledders. I was a BCSF/ASA member, but I will be signing up as an ABC member tomorrow and re-evaluating other memberships for next year. Most sledders are happy to support organizations that back the sledders, we just need to know that they are doing it. There's no better way to garner support for your organization than to make it known that you are taking the right steps for the sport.

Much like the CAC's presence on this website (which is a phenomenally great thing!) I would encourage you to tell someone in the ABCsnow organization that if they had a presence here it would be a great asset to sledders and the ABCsnow organization. I would like to think they would find that their membership #'s and fees would increase if their rebuttals to political or negative comments on sledding were made more public (much like SAWS in the states).

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I will also forward this thread link to Daryl Copithorne of the ASA to see if he cares to chime in as it's many an Albertan that frequents the BC hills where closures may be iminent. I am sure this is not just a BC thing either so it would be nice to hear from the ASA on this topic as well.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak for the BCSF as I am not a member, but am sure they are hard at it as well. One way to find out what these clubs are doing is by simply sending an email.

See you on the hill !

Not to stir the pot or be a jerk or anything, but why aren't you a member of the BCSF? You work for VARDA, live in valemont yet are not a member?

Again, all due respect, just wondering. :beer:

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Article taken from local newspage:

Backcountry snowmobilers could lose their rides
Aaron Burnett May 10, 2010 07:55:05 AM

British Columbia is looking at a bill that would let our neighbouring province seize and sell snowmobiles from so called high-markers.

B.C. Tourism Minister Kevin Krueger tells the Calgary Herald the proposed legislation would cover anyone who's said to be putting others at risk through dangerous activities in the backcountry.

The 2009-2010 avalanche season has seen 12 people die in snow slides, including three men from the Calgary area.

Two of the men died in an avalanche near Revelstoke that RCMP believe was caused by high-marking.

Anyone heard this? Think it will happen or is this a knee-jerk reaction like the gun registry after the shooting rampage in Montreal, just to appease the ignorant masses.

thats just stupid!! i like the ski and snowboard theroy! what about those guys!

Last edited:

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
Currently the ASA is working together with ABC and BCSF with the C.A.C on these issues. The ASA has put a ton of financial support and time into working with the CAC in an effort to educate sledders. We frequently talk to media, but we do not give them the sensational story they are usually looking for. Sadly the media twists these topics in order to make for stories. The main problem is that while organized sledders are pretty much up to speed on Avalanche issues, but how do we reach the "non-joiners" who are not, and have no idea who the C.A.C is. All we can really do is to try and educate the masses, join a club to be more informed. The three provincial organizations can(and do) get the message out to their members. It is up to us the sledder to pressure others to get informed.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry modman, there was some flaming starting up and I deleted a few posts. The flaming was between members and let's keep on topic here. Yours might of been in the middle.

?? I make a reasonable post and it gets deleted???

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to stir the pot or be a jerk or anything, but why aren't you a member of the BCSF? You work for VARDA, live in valemont yet are not a member?

Again, all due respect, just wondering. :beer:

No problem Jay, Our club belongs to the Association of British Columbia Snowmobile Clubs and that is who supports us and who we support.

Top Bottom