"newer" half ton choices

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I need to get rid of this ****ty f-150 pretty quick and I honestly don't think i'll own another ford again so I've been looking at low mile dodges which seem to be reasonably priced compared to the chevys and gm's. I've never owned one before so was hoping for a little advice from guys here the good or bad with the hemis? Thanks!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're reasonably priced for a reason. Fiat discounts the crap out of new ones which drives the price of used ones down, and ford and Chevy dealers don't want them on trade. If you're gonna keep it for more than a year or two and you don't want a ford, go buy a Chevy. Once you buy a dodge (other than certain years of diesels) you're stuck because used ones lose value quickly.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spoken like someone who has no clue about Rams. Ram diesels hold their value better then the others by far, no one wants the others as they are garbage. No half ton holds its value, it's the reality of owning one.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spoken like someone who has no clue about Rams. Ram diesels hold their value better then the others by far, no one wants the others as they are garbage. No half ton holds its value, it's the reality of owning one.

Read my post. Particularly the part inside the brackets. Ram trucks are like everything Fiat builds. Tolerable for a few years and then the poor build quality starts catching up in the form of electrical problems squeaks, rattles etc. There's a reason Fiat products consistently get the poorest ratings for reliability,safety etc. You get what you pay for.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a Tundra... worry free for many years and they hold their value. just my opinion

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cousin bought a brand new tundra and loaded it was right at 70 grand . I lifted it up on a hoist and the driveline is lighter than a Chevy halfton .
I bought a low mileage 16 ram with the 5.7 and I'm happy with it . I didn't want to spend a huge amount for a shop truck so 28 grand for a truck with 15 k fit the bill . This little dodge has a bigger drive line than the tundra and half the price .
Tundra does come with a true dual exhaust from factory . Lol

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep believing that!
My cousin bought a brand new tundra and loaded it was right at 70 grand . I lifted it up on a hoist and the driveline is lighter than a Chevy halfton .
I bought a low mileage 16 ram with the 5.7 and I'm happy with it . I didn't want to spend a huge amount for a shop truck so 28 grand for a truck with 15 k fit the bill . This little dodge has a bigger drive line than the tundra and half the price .

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya the Tundra is nice but out of my price range.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haul new Dodges and new Fords in the cab of about 75 a months , load and unload , so actually in them all twice . Would not buy a Dodge ....my 2 cents!

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep believing that!

Put a tundra on a hoist and a Chevy on a hoist side by side . I have and the tundra is lighter . Don't need to be a believer. Just not blind . Tundra is a very nice unit but its drive line is not as heavy . I have compared the two units while they were in the air on my hoists .

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually my truck has never been on a hoist due to the fact that it has never been broken down so I guess I never really looked at the driveline. And I beat the crap out of my Tundra with getting loads of firewood, hunting, camping and lots of off roading. that's what I see and no I am not blind.
Put a tundra on a hoist and a Chevy on a hoist side by side . I have and the tundra is lighter . Don't need to be a believer. Just not blind . Tundra is a very nice unit but its drive line is not as heavy . I have compared the two units while they were in the air on my hoists .

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can join in on the pissing contest or you can test drive them all, find the best deal and one you like to drive and look at and hope you got a good one. All the trucks are good. Yes there are lemons. Find something that you like. What works for one person may not work for the next. Same goes with anything now.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

keep believing that!

actually my truck has never been on a hoist due to the fact that it has never been broken down so I guess I never really looked at the driveline. And I beat the crap out of my Tundra with getting loads of firewood, hunting, camping and lots of off roading. that's what I see and no I am not blind.

oh boy....7 posts in and already hurt feeler reports being issued..........

actually thought it would go to at least 15 posts before pissing matches started......lol

And for what its worth, I'm on my 8th new GMC 1/2 ton over the past 20 years....many of them kept till well over 200,000km....basically trouble free. My current one has 380,000 on it...runs awesome. I recently bought a 2015 with the 8 speed trans and I love the drive. Smooth shifts, quiet ride and the 6.2 has tons of power. Plus I think GM trucks hold their resale value pretty good.

Based on my history on reliability and performance, I recommend a GM.

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"newer" half ton choices

I am not brand loyal so I don't really care what brand I'm driving . Buy what ya like and are willing to spend . They are all a waste of money and all of them rust away . Lol I own four different brands at the moment and the most expensive one is in getting warranty work done . Maybe I should buy a couple horses . Haha

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: "newer" half ton choices

My last company truck was a 2013 GM 1500 ext cab 4x4, with the small v8. It was a good little truck, got it new and returned it with 140,000K. I would buy one just like it for a personal truck.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read my post. Particularly the part inside the brackets. Ram trucks are like everything Fiat builds. Tolerable for a few years and then the poor build quality starts catching up in the form of electrical problems squeaks, rattles etc. There's a reason Fiat products consistently get the poorest ratings for reliability,safety etc. You get what you pay for.

Really? Look up auction prices, Dodge's will pull more money all day long, and are far more desirable then the other two, doesn't matter if it's a 93, or a 2017 they will get more money. Look at how well the Dodge 5500's are selling. Everyone is moving their fleets away from the ford 550's because they are garbage, and you can't give a used one away. I'm not being bias being a Dodge guy, it's simply the facts. Even if they require more repairs then the others (they don't), the Cummins by far makes up for that in it's reliability.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a Tundra... worry free for many years and they hold their value. just my opinion
i agree the biggest downfall with tundra is fuel economy which is not really a big consideration

Top Bottom