new winch time

jessie

Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of winch i should put on my 2012 polaris 850 xp I will be using it for plowing snow and the occasional tug out had a warn polaris winch didn,t last to long thanks for any input winches arn,t cheep:cool:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Warn is one of the best, but they all require maintanence. What killed your winch in the first place? Was it old ? did you not dry it out after submerging it. Need more info/

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 on the viper. I love the hell outta mine!

Sent while not working too hard

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had three Grizzlies, each with the Yamaha OEM Warn 2500 jobbies. One outright failed on me but was replaced by warranty. The remaining two stopped freespooling after a couple of months and freeze solid in winter. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with those Warn units. Granted, I hear rumors that the WARN models provided by the quad manufacturers are not nearly as good as the ones you buy off the shelf. ...but I have yet to confirm those rumors.

Warn is one of the best, but they all require maintanence. What killed your winch in the first place? Was it old ? did you not dry it out after submerging it. Need more info/

Water and mud in the winches is obviously my main issue. How the heck do you dry them out without pulling the winches and taking them apart? Considering that my winches are submerged just about everytime I take my machines out, pulling my winches to dry them out after every ride is not an option.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my new Warn 2500 the counter guy told me that winches are not sealed, so after you submerge a winch just pull out 20 or 30 feet and pull your quad to reel it back in. It heats up the winch to drive out the water. Have done that to mine for the last two seasons and have had no problems. I even popped it apart when I replaced the cable with synthetic and it was dry as a bone. You know me I will find water and/ or mud.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ok, so when I let out my winch after every trip with my old beaster, that I am doing double duty....A: straighten out my winch cable on the spool and B: to dry out my winch.....I'm smarter than I thought I was....hahaha:cool:

More to the point of the thread...I just have a cheapy princess auto winch which has worked quite well, but I certainly do not go in search of mud...MAYBE one or two extractions per ride. Have heard nothing but good things about the Viper winchs, and their price seems impossible to beat even WITH shipping to canada!!!:)

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well If the price is right and they work for you who is to argue. I guess the key here is to warm up the winch after a ride to dry it out and it will look after you when you really need it!
:eek:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take mine apart and clean it on a regular basis. Good grease and good to go. 5 years on a warn 2500 and still going strong. They are so simple to take apart and clean. Just don't pack them with grease or it's tough to free spool.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take mine apart and clean it on a regular basis. Good grease and good to go. 5 years on a warn 2500 and still going strong. They are so simple to take apart and clean. Just don't pack them with grease or it's tough to free spool.

Good tip. I was just about to pull mine and pack it with as much rease as it could hold.

Top Bottom