New Track; 98 Summit 670x

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day everyone... I am in need of a new track for the sled above and am thinking I might as well upgrade a bit while in the process. The sled takes a track with standard 9 tooth drivers for he stock 136x15x1 3/4 track. The track I am looking at is a 144x16x2" variety. I plan on adding rail extensions to get up to 144" but have the following questions:

Can I jam a 16" track in this sled? I have heard of others doing it but am wondering what issues I may face and what I may be grinding down.

Do I have to go down to a 8 tooth driver from the stock 9 tooth for the additional track size or will there be adequate clearance?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you can fit a 16" wide track in, steering post bolts must be turned around and ground down a biy along with some rivets from inside to out, must use 8tooth with 2" paddles unless you do a drop and roll.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you can fit a 16" wide track in, steering post bolts must be turned around and ground down a biy along with some rivets from inside to out, must use 8tooth with 2" paddles unless you do a drop and roll.

That dosn't sound too bad. Now, If I go with 8 tooth extroverts do you require inner and outer drivers or just the 2 extrovert drivers?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on which type of extroverts you are getting. But most of the time you buy the extroverts that drive off the inner lugs and the track windows and you only need two - here is a pic of my setup.

Attachments

• Picture 034-2.jpg
    Picture 034-2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 95

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am finally ready to get started with this little project. I need to replace the rear shock and put in heavier springs while I have the skid out. Is there any thing else I may need to Doo to squeeze the 16" track in?

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am finally ready to get started with this little project. I need to replace the rear shock and put in heavier springs while I have the skid out. Is there any thing else I may need to Doo to squeeze the 16" track in?

I found the drop brackets were a problem the way they are made to reinforce them and tried grinding the fold down but ended up picking up a set of 08 XP drop brackets which are thinner and work real good. What length of track are you going with? With the 151 X 16 on my 99 I also went with 1 tooth higher on the large gear in the chain case.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most important mod is to move the skid back and down.Called a poormans drop and roll.It will be much better than adding extentions.This will stop the sled from trenching so much with an improved attack angle.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found the drop brackets were a problem the way they are made to reinforce them and tried grinding the fold down but ended up picking up a set of 08 XP drop brackets which are thinner and work real good. What length of track are you going with? With the 151 X 16 on my 99 I also went with 1 tooth higher on the large gear in the chain case.

Just going to a 144. Got a good deal on it.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most important mod is to move the skid back and down.Called a poormans drop and roll.It will be much better than adding extentions.This will stop the sled from trenching so much with an improved attack angle.

I'll probably just use extensions for now. Possibly move the skid back next year. I have a good feeling that we are going to get some snow soon!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked for a set like this but couldn't find any without the offset axel that would mean having to go with a big wheel setup.

You are only going to a 144" track, so you will not need longer sliders. There will be no noticeable loss of performance without the extra slider under the track, its only 4" extra on the rail.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you didn't pick up the 144 yet you should consider a 151. More or less the same amount of work and way more track in the snow. The short extensions with a skid setback make for a way better approach angle.
Here's my S chassis with a 159.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.JPG
    IMG_1549.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 53

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you didn't pick up the 144 yet you should consider a 151. More or less the same amount of work and way more track in the snow. The short extensions with a skid setback make for a way better approach angle.
Here's my S chassis with a 159.

Nice lookin sled! I allready have the track. Got a hell of a deal on it late last season. I wonder if I will need a tunnel extension going to a 144 or if I can just get away with trimming the flap?

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin sled! I allready have the track. Got a hell of a deal on it late last season. I wonder if I will need a tunnel extension going to a 144 or if I can just get away with trimming the flap?

if I were you id just loose the flap :rolleyes:

Top Bottom