New to the world of UTV's

JSchamehorn

Reaction score
Hello,

Just picked up an 07 Prowler 650XT for the family and don't know a whole lot about them. I am looking at proper skid plates and am wondering how much to cover? Is aluminum that much lighter? Stronger?

Do you guys even refer to them as UTV's or just ATV's?

What cheap and easily install able mods are a must?

Thanks!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site

Usually a full set of aluminum skid plates,. or whatever is available as an upgrade. Strength vs weight, aluminum is the way to go. I don't normally call mine a UTV, manufacturers of products call them UTV IMO. I call a rhino a rhino, rzr a rzr and teryx a teryx, etc, etc. If someone doesn't know what I mean,.. I say side by side, or UTV

Last edited:

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!!!:thumbsup2:
If I were you, I don't think I would cheap out on some undercarriage protection, because it will save you huge headaches later on. Aluminum is also the way to go, strong enough for what you need, and light.

JSchamehorn

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I think I will go with the full package in aluminum, Is there a brand that is better than others? I have seen some with alot of holes to reduce the weight, looks like they would be good to shed the extra mud that collects up in there but on the other hand may be responsible for a lot of it getting up there in the first place.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of the year I pull all the plates and give it a wash,.. also lets me look for any problems that I might have not seen during the season.

Top Bottom