new to plaris, kinda worried right now

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i recently bought a 2012 pro with a boondocker turbo. tonight i just did a compression test as im having a few little issues. was told it was set for 8lbs and its only pulling 6.4lbs and 7900 rpm well the compression gauge of my buddys read 115 mag and 111 pto i will do another one with a different gauge and see where it comes in at. but i know i read some where there normally only 125 ish im use to my ski-doo at 160-165 so this is just a shock for me. mainjet built the sled and added the turbo for the guy but i dont think they would have lowered compression, engine is completely stock from what i was told, has just over 1000 miles on it now and when i bought it it had 890 miles. main jet told me not to worry about the pistons for at least another 500 miles.

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you use the same tester on your Ski Doo that you used on your Poo? There can be quite a variance between gauges. To me that Doo compression seen high. I would be more worried if there was a huge difference in your PTO and Mag side.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That doo compression sounds oddly high, unless you had a high compression head or something. Polaris compression is low to begin with tho, dont compare it to your doo. there maybe a low compression head on it for the turbo, but from what dealers explained to me when I was at 110 & 112 on a stocker, is that wasn't to concerning of numbers to them.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i recently bought a 2012 pro with a boondocker turbo. tonight i just did a compression test as im having a few little issues. was told it was set for 8lbs and its only pulling 6.4lbs and 7900 rpm well the compression gauge of my buddys read 115 mag and 111 pto i will do another one with a different gauge and see where it comes in at. but i know i read some where there normally only 125 ish im use to my ski-doo at 160-165 so this is just a shock for me. mainjet built the sled and added the turbo for the guy but i dont think they would have lowered compression, engine is completely stock from what i was told, has just over 1000 miles on it now and when i bought it it had 890 miles. main jet told me not to worry about the pistons for at least another 500 miles.

What elevation are you at?

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the doo had a high comp head, as for elevation im at 600 meters according to the wifes summit x haha i will be testing it tonight with the same gauge as i used on the ski-doo

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay just did the test and mag is 115 and pto is 117 using a snap on gauge. and 600m is very close, the nearest towns are 360-380 meters and i live few hundred meters above the town so 1968 feet

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats not to bad but gaskets are cheap to tear it apart and have a look, the used turbo I had bought cost me 3500 for motor parts that could have been much cheaper if i would have taken it apart to have a look. A lower rod brg failed 200 miles after I bought it.

[Freerider]-

Reaction score
That's perfectly normal, unless it's got a different head then I can't really say. My 14 stock runs 105 and 110 psi. They do have lower compression than other stock brands.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay just did the test and mag is 115 and pto is 117 using a snap on gauge. and 600m is very close, the nearest towns are 360-380 meters and i live few hundred meters above the town so 1968 feet

There is nothing wrong with those numbers if it is stock. I did compression test this fall on my 11 Assault, it is at 114 & 115 and my 13 pro is at 117 & 118

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As been said the good news is it sounds like the top end is fine, but still worth a look with a scope. Bad news is it's something else. Lol. Check everything for leaks on the intake and exhaust side.

R

Ryan Verrecchia

If it doesn't have 2 ring pistons in it I suggest putting some in and break it in well polaris don't have high psi no more than 120 around give or take 5 if it's at 110 the rings might need to be changed

Top Bottom