New to MOTOCROSS 'n lookin' 4 advice!!

roxy

Reaction score
'ello 'ello,

I have a 13 year old son who wants to get into motocross and will be starting from ground zero, so I was wondering where in Edmonton, I could go for cheap gear (helmet, gloves, outfit, etc....), cheap bike (should he just grab a used one to start out), memberships, tracks, ANYTHING you could tell me to help him get goin'. He used to BMX, but wants to get into something a little more "exciting", now that he's older.

Thanks in advance! :)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch out for cheap gear, motorcross even starting out is a risky venture that requires some training, lots of practice...not trying to discourage you or your son. But you will be up against others that have been at this for a while even at 13. Motocross should be fun, challenging and is competitive.

Saftey, training, practice and quality gear will keep him safe while enjoying a sport, that I have been in and off for over 30 years and my son has been in for only 6 years.

That being said there is always good quality used gear popping up as kids grow....a couple of places to start are the Alberta Oldtimers web site.

Good info and maybe a good place to start racing, do you ride...as it's easier with the Oldtimers if you ride as well.... Alberta OldTimers Motocross Association

Look at there schedule, they even have winter races...come out and watch a race, talk to the group, there is always sombody selling a bike or gear. Great group of guys.

The governing body in Alberta for provincial racing is the Alberta Dirt Riders Assoc as part of the CMRC (Canadian Motocross Racing Club)(Well it is for now..things are changing right now, thats a story for an other time)

Alberta Dirt Riders Association

There is a classified section on the ADRA's site for bikes and gear.

I know an other guy that buys and sells bike and has kids racing that are always out growing gear....(darn kids they keep growing) PM me and I'll give you his number...

I have two sons one races and the other just trail rides....racing is great if he's got the drive for it....

The Oldtimers even have a guy that holds a training class, a great place to learn some skills for the track and trail....

A lot of the dealers will be having sales soon, trying to sell off last years gear and bikes....everone will have there favorite, ours happens to be Riverside Suzuki Yamaha KTM....

If you would like to talk racing .....PM me.

Dale

roxy

Reaction score
Thanks Dale! That is some great info. Im gonna take a look at those sites and begin my research before I even attempt to take out an 8 billion dollar loan to support his interest in riding, lol.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As Dale has said if you go on to that website(ADRA) you can see a listing of the tracks through out Alberta. They have directions and usually phone numbers of members you can contact to get track conditions and such. This past summer we just completed building a track to Nationals specs. here in Whitecourt. My two boys (18 & 15) have been involved in MX for 3 years now( followed the circuit for 3 years now), both race quads and the the oldest is getting into Bikes this year. Its a lot of fun for both the kids and the adults, but it can get serious if you follow the circuit. Just a few words of advice, its gonna cost and in my opinion it does not pay to cheap out on gear. The gear you buy is protecting your kid from injury. Neck brace , Boots, Knee braces , Helmets, Chest protecter,etc. Im not trying to scare you away from MX just listing a few things I have experienced.

redlineguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MX, Greatest sport in the world IMO!!! tell him good luck.

Top Bottom