New to 4 stroke looking at 2007 -2008 yamaha phaser for kids and wife

Stumpy

Reaction score
HI STUMPY HERE just wondering do these 4 strokers last past 4000 km do they need reworking like new engine etc or are they mostly bullet proof .

2007 -2008 phaser mtx 144 2 inch looks best
wondering about some steering issues as for kids and wife ,safety and ease to ride start that sort of thing

what are they really worth ,what would u pay

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my woman a phaser for her first sled and she hated it. Couldn't ride it so I Sold it and got a crossfire. She loves it. It seems from the posts I've read on here lots of guys pick the phaser as a first sled for the woman and its a bad choice. It's more of a stand up sled and needs to be ridden aggressive

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HI STUMPY HERE just wondering do these 4 strokers last past 4000 km do they need reworking like new engine etc or are they mostly bullet proof .

2007 -2008 phaser mtx 144 2 inch looks best
wondering about some steering issues as for kids and wife ,safety and ease to ride start that sort of thing

what are they really worth ,what would u pay

on the nytro after the first 800 km you need to do a oil change then the next one required is 20 000 I'm not sure what the phazer is but it can't be that much different and if yamaha has anything on the other brands its reliability and the 2007 with low km are going for around 5000 but lots of people buy then sell cause they don't like how it rides so borrow one if you can before you ride

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
It a easy some what light 4 stroke to ride. As for a first sled, for wife and kids, would not be my choice. It be a perfect ditch banger but not a real comfortable ride. As for Kms if recent oil change and synthetic I'd drain and add new every year and filter every 3 years, if you won't put over 8000km in the 3 years. With regular maintenance and replacing of wear items the sled would last a lifetime. Only down fall is with the 4 stroke is only electric start. Ensure battery is good and stored every season or expect to replace every couple years. If you are wanting a 4 stroke and a comfortable ride go with a vector or nitro. Avoid a 06 and 07 as very few had issues with cam chain tensioner failing, exhaust doughnuts wearing to soon and cracks in oil reservoir from stress. Yamaha had resolved this for all 2008 and up 3 cylinder 4strokes. I would pay 4500 if less than 5000kms and near mint condition, offer $4000 if carbs are fouled, sliders worn, battery weak, and any signs of misuse. Check the suspension for cracks, bends and patched weld jobs. I have a 2006 nytro, and absolutely love the sled, very similar one on kijiji. Trail sled without reverse. Hasn't cause me any troubles and love the ride and engine. Useless in real deep stuff, but prefect for local riding and my wife loves it.

Stumpy

Reaction score
It a easy some what light 4 stroke to ride. As for a first sled, for wife and kids, would not be my choice. It be a perfect ditch banger but not a real comfortable ride. As for Kms if recent oil change and synthetic I'd drain and add new every year and filter every 3 years, if you won't put over 8000km in the 3 years. With regular maintenance and replacing of wear items the sled would last a lifetime. Only down fall is with the 4 stroke is only electric start. Ensure battery is good and stored every season or expect to replace every couple years. If you are wanting a 4 stroke and a comfortable ride go with a vector or nitro. Avoid a 06 and 07 as very few had issues with cam chain tensioner failing, exhaust doughnuts wearing to soon and cracks in oil reservoir from stress. Yamaha had resolved this for all 2008 and up 3 cylinder 4strokes. I would pay 4500 if less than 5000kms and near mint condition, offer $4000 if carbs are fouled, sliders worn, battery weak, and any signs of misuse. Check the suspension for cracks, bends and patched weld jobs. I have a 2006 nytro, and absolutely love the sled, very similar one on kijiji. Trail sled without reverse. Hasn't cause me any troubles and love the ride and engine. Useless in real deep stuff, but prefect for local riding and my wife loves it.

awesome info all that helps out very much really getting the itch to ride !!:beer:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride it like a dirt bike, had one for a few years, dont sit and be lazy on it, works good but u gotta push it hard to keep up in the mtns thats for sure

Top Bottom