New SPOT information

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I posted this when I got back from the Calgary sled show. I just "lumped" it in with the other post on SPOT and I think the main information that I wanted to get out there got buried. So I copied this info and started a new thread....

A salesman from Spot was at the Calgary show along with a rep from GPS central. I have a great talk with the salesman. No bull sh+t, no sales talk, just go old information and technical detail.

The SPOT 2 is in the hands of some vendors (not all yet). It is smaller that the original but the batteries are not as strong. Saying that, there is a better antenna resulting in better reception to and from the satellite. I also think there is a new light added that indicates the message has been received (I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think that it is correct). Bottons are covered with a rubber flap to prevent accidental sending. A new button, that can be set up with a another personal message has been added (my message might be: I'm Okay but we will be home late). I think a great bunch of improvements that will make this little goodie even better!!

The best news was that those who have a present subscription will be able to upgrade to the SPOT 2 at a special price (they are still working out the nitty-gritties of this process).

This booth, the avalanche vendors, Specialty Sleds, and the ASA were the best part of the show.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was able to speak with them as well and they gave me a new respect for the SPOT and I think I will stronly consider the new one.

SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

This is the info I got out of them...Its not that batteries are not as good, they require more power due to the newer stronger GPS reciever. The SOS and Help buttons has the cover over it to reduce accidental use. The other buttons have been split up to reduce confusion. It is smaller and does have the positive acknowledge function when your message has been been and an indicator that shows when the GPS is available to transmit.

I think I will invest into this new one as most times we don't have cell coverage in the places we say, so as soon as we come off the mountain we can send the "hey we are okay and are heading to the bar, call you tonight" message :beer:

Oh and the new one is more acurate, to the 1-2 meter, vs the old 4-5 meter.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was able to speak with them as well and they gave me a new respect for the SPOT and I think I will stronly consider the new one.

SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

This is the info I got out of them...Its not that batteries are not as good, they require more power due to the newer stronger GPS reciever. The SOS and Help buttons has the cover over it to reduce accidental use. The other buttons have been split up to reduce confusion. It is smaller and does have the positive acknowledge function when your message has been been and an indicator that shows when the GPS is available to transmit.

I think I will invest into this new one as most times we don't have cell coverage in the places we say, so as soon as we come off the mountain we can send the "hey we are okay and are heading to the bar, call you tonight" message :beer:

Oh and the new one is more acurate, to the 1-2 meter, vs the old 4-5 meter.

Remember that if you have an old one there will be an upgrade package offered before the New Year.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could someone post the upgrade information I would like to upgrade and keep both old and new version.

Thanks

wide_open

Reaction score
I'm heading to Edmonton as we speak and want to know if anybody has the SPOT 2 in Edmonton. Thanks for any help!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to gpscentral in Calgary.
They say Spot will offer an upgrade package by the end of this month.

R

rembrn3

The ACR personal becon is far better than the spot new version. Remember you have a yearly subscription to the spot. The spot needs a clear view of the sat to transmit signals. The spots are cheaper in the retail store, there shouldn't be a price on your safe return to the people who love you. $1200 for an avy bag is worth it and $600 for an ACR is worth it as well. Forget about the spot tracker, spend the money on something that will actually safe you, and it will be there when you need it.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ACR personal becon is far better than the spot new version. Remember you have a yearly subscription to the spot. The spot needs a clear view of the sat to transmit signals. The spots are cheaper in the retail store, there shouldn't be a price on your safe return to the people who love you. $1200 for an avy bag is worth it and $600 for an ACR is worth it as well. Forget about the spot tracker, spend the money on something that will actually safe you, and it will be there when you need it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not intending on using a SPOT to save me or even reduce my chances of an incident. For me, its a form of communication...like, hey I am stuck on the mountain with a blown motor and we could use a helly to get out....or because we ride and stay in places where there is almost no cell service so when you get off the mountain, just to let your loved ones know you are off to dinner safe and sound and you will talk with them later. Its usefull for communication and some tracking features. Maybe more of a convenience for some, but for some minor costs, a nice product.

ACR personal beacons still require GPS/Sat communication to send the distress message to the satelites, then it can narrow your location. Then search and rescue people need to have the proper equipment to even locate you (which they don't all have, and these products are not even certified in Canada) The idea is there, its just not a proven product for this type of use, atleast not yet. Maybe some of my info is out of date, but I have looked at them before.

I am not going to disagree that an Avy pack is awesome, but the Spot was never meant to replace it.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going into Montana on Saturday to pick up a Spot 2 and hope I never have to us it except to let the wife know I'm OK for her piece of mind.:beer::beer:

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going into Montana on Saturday to pick up a Spot 2 and hope I never have to us it except to let the wife know I'm OK for her piece of mind.:beer::beer:
What is the price in Montana. Seen them on the net for 153 us shipped to Canada.

wide_open

Reaction score
I will find out when I get there I'm going anyway so why not see if i can save some money while I'm there.:cool:

Once I got into town I phoned around and Alta-Comm Wireless Inc has 5 of them in stock right now for $169. The cheapest I found on the internet was from a non-profit group and was $149.99USD + shipping, which makes it more than buying it in Edmonton. Looks like local it is for me.

wide_open

Reaction score
I bought the SPOT 2 today, came to just over $177. I then searched Google and found the promo code "HUNTINGLIFE23" and entered it in when prompted and got 1 year free tracking ($50USD) value.

I went outside and tried the test message, and it said I was doing good and gave my long and lat. I took those numbers and put them right into the Google search bar, and the map showed up exactly where I had sent it from. I also tried the tracking feature, and it tracked me every 9 minutes wherever I was in Edmonton.

They 911 and the Help buttons are hidden under a flap, so there should be no mistaking pushing these buttons. Other buttons are easy to work and the whole unit is quite simple.

I'll try it out again more this weekend while sledding and get back to everybody.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the post ferniesnow

i have the first spot, works good could work better, i will upgrade, to the new one, dose anyone know the upgrade price, i was going to post mine for sale, but it might be cheaper to upgrade. anyone know anything about the upgrade??

thanks
giddyup

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
thanks for the post ferniesnow

i have the first spot, works good could work better, i will upgrade, to the new one, dose anyone know the upgrade price, i was going to post mine for sale, but it might be cheaper to upgrade. anyone know anything about the upgrade??

thanks
giddyup

I have written to the support team and asked the question but have no reply yet. They are quite busy and it may take up to 5 days. I'll let you know when I hear.

Top Bottom